Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 11:36 AM

2,078 posts, read 2,041,741 times

Advertisements

I did NOT like 80's fashion at all , That was ages 18-28 for me. I too took all my shoulder pads out of anything that had them and continued on with my Stevie Nicks Gypsy style . I still do . I update it somewhat but it suits me best . I have to wear UGGS where I live it is so cold but they have been in fashion since the early 90's . So regionally they are still going strong .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 11:37 AM

371 posts, read 461,098 times
LOL. The ankle-length jeans w/ heels & oversized sweater is in now. I had nooo idea that was an 80s look. I wear ankle-length jeans all the time, but I prefer them cuffed and paired with my Vans. I'm 24, for reference.

Acid wash was BIG last year, and still somewhat in style. Or maybe I'm thinking stonewash? Because googling stonewash, the results are what I call acid wash. Who knows *shrug* but I like them! Definitely NOT everyday jeans, but when I'm going somewhere cool w/ friends & wanna wear my hair big & curly & dress like I don't work in a bland office (because I do), those are the jeans for me. But again, not sure if they're actually acid wash or stonewash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
One of my favorite looks in the 80s was wearing ankle-length jeans with zippers at the ankle with high-heeled pumps. Usually this was with a big sweater or big sweatshirt. I think it could still look cool today.

One other thing I HATED in the 80s was the "jellies" shoes. It started off one summer, maybe around 1983, with rubber shoes that looked like woven sandals. Sure, rubber sandals to wear around the pool or beach were fine. But then they started selling rubber shoes that were more like pumps, to be worn in non-pool, non-beach settings. Ugh, girls changing for gym in the locker room had awful smelly feet because they were wearing those "jelly" shoes.

Maybe that's why the trend started with wearing little lace socks with pumps, to deal with the horrible sweaty foot fungus that came from the jelly pumps?

I also hated late-80s "acid wash" denim. Ugh, it was so ugly and persisted into the 90s. Stonewashed, bleached and overdyed jeans were fine in my book, but not those horrible acid washed. Pure white-trash look.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:51 AM

102,583 posts, read 109,424,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In middle school /high school for me, the kool kids were using koolaid to dye their hair. The purple haired kid smelled grape for a day or two. This was early 90s.
This was my recollection, too, that candy-colored hair began in the 90's, but I couldn't quite recall. I'm not seeing anything on the fashion scene today that wasn't around decades ago. I have older relatives who used to wear skinny jeans back in the 1950's! They'd take their regular jeans to be altered. Nowadays with spandex added to the fabric, they're as skinny as you can get them, but that, also, is nothing new. Leggings and jeans/leggings hybrids have been around since the early 90's, at least.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:00 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,067,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
LOL. The ankle-length jeans w/ heels & oversized sweater is in now. I had nooo idea that was an 80s look. I wear ankle-length jeans all the time, but I prefer them cuffed and paired with my Vans. I'm 24, for reference.

Acid wash was BIG last year, and still somewhat in style. Or maybe I'm thinking stonewash? Because googling stonewash, the results are what I call acid wash. Who knows *shrug* but I like them! Definitely NOT everyday jeans, but when I'm going somewhere cool w/ friends & wanna wear my hair big & curly & dress like I don't work in a bland office (because I do), those are the jeans for me. But again, not sure if they're actually acid wash or stonewash.

Acid wash has harsh white spots or streaks. Stonewash just uses pumice stones to soften the denim, and the color is more smooth and uniform soft blue. Acid wash uses pumice stones too, but with the stones soaked in bleach. So all acid washed are stone washed, but not all stone washed are acid washed.
Most jeans today that are not hard and stiff are stonewashed at the very least, but then might get other treatments like whiskering, overdying, distressing, etc.

I worked for the Gap for 8 years '86-'94 (when they were big on denim and classics, before they changed to be trendy) and I served as "denim expert" for my store. I had to learn all this stuff.

The Gap used to call its acid wash "ice washed" but it was still vile.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:37 PM

371 posts, read 461,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Acid wash has harsh white spots or streaks. Stonewash just uses pumice stones to soften the denim, and the color is more smooth and uniform soft blue. Acid wash uses pumice stones too, but with the stones soaked in bleach. So all acid washed are stone washed, but not all stone washed are acid washed.
Most jeans today that are not hard and stiff are stonewashed at the very least, but then might get other treatments like whiskering, overdying, distressing, etc.

I worked for the Gap for 8 years '86-'94 (when they were big on denim and classics, before they changed to be trendy) and I served as "denim expert" for my store. I had to learn all this stuff.

The Gap used to call its acid wash "ice washed" but it was still vile.
That's good to know. Thanks for the info! Ok, so I guess that means I do have one pair of acid wash jeans hehehe.. No shame!

Old 01-09-2015, 01:14 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,562,662 times
In the 80's I wore Levi's or Op Shorts, T Shirts, flip flops, Vans, Nike, road a skateboard, surfed, sailed, and had a cool outdoor type lifestyle.

Here it is in 2015 and my life is pretty much the same. (Note: The shorts have longer legs now.)

Old 01-09-2015, 01:22 PM

24,998 posts, read 17,755,303 times
That movie "Hot tub time machine" was on the other night. That is when the characters go back to the 80's. The hair, the fashions, the music were all so bright and FUN.
I think the 80's were a positive time in America. Give me the fashion of the 80's over the 90's any day.
Now if i could only fit in my Miami Vice jacket with the rolled up sleeves.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 23,067,467 times
I used to love wearing a tank top/ wifebeater with a plaid menswear blazer with the sleeves rolled up! Top it off with a black Boy George hat!

Old 01-09-2015, 01:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 54,009,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In middle school /high school for me, the kool kids were using koolaid to dye their hair. The purple haired kid smelled grape for a day or two. This was early 90s.
My sister-in-law, who is 16 and a junior in high school, just used this technique to dye my dog. So, apparently, the knowledge is still out there.

P.S. Black Cherry takes a long time to fade from a rat terrier's ruff, because he can't reach it to lick it.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 54,009,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temeku View Post
I admit, I actually thought of Cyndi Lauper for a brief moment while typing that post earlier. But when I watch any media from the 80s (including VHS home movies), dyed bright hair is nowhere to be seen. Some New Wave musicians did have it like you said (I think Depeche Mode was another, if they count as New Wave) but no one else as far as I could tell. I didn't see any dyed bright hair in the 90s as a kid, and I certainly didn't see it in the 2000s. For all I know, it was around, but it must have been extremely obscure because I don't remember seeing it even once.

This decade, on the other hand, I see it every time I go out in the town.
I think it is more mainstream, now. In the early 80s, Greenwich Village kids might have been doing it. Kansas City kids? Not as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty