Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,770,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
No kidding.

I loved the 80's. There was so much fun and variety. You could find clothes in almost any color... not just neon. I see a lot of styles that we wore back then being sold in stores now. Not all of the clothes were wildly outrageous. My sister is twelve years younger than me. She wore some of my old clothes to high school for Retro 80's day. Some kid told her that she was not dressed properly. A lot of clothes don't fit the 80's stereotype.

I hated the 90's clothes. They were so bland and lacked imagination. I remember a lot of denim and khaki and what I called the "desert colors". The colors weren't very flattering for me.
Granted I was born in 1980s (hence I do not know how it was), I LOVE 80s fashion. So colorful!
I came across this on youtube! I love their fashion! Their clothes, their hair etc! So retro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm_QilrHkh8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 04:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,364,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Granted I was born in 1980s (hence I do not know how it was), I LOVE 80s fashion. So colorful!
I came across this on youtube! I love their fashion! Their clothes, their hair etc! So retro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm_QilrHkh8
I know them, the Jets I mean. Close family friends.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:07 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,814,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Read the first page of posts.
I saw that but NEVER heard of them called wind suits.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:46 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,972,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I guess it depended on where you were. I grew up near Seattle, AKA ground zero for the alternative rock scene. I think 90% of the "cool kids" who were white teenagers were trying to dress like Nirvana, 8% were goths and the rest just got picked on.
Oh I'm sure it was different for teenagers, I just mean adults and children in the 90s wore mostly the same things they wore in the 80s, turtle necks and ugly sweaters and stuff like that.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:58 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,972,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

And I'm noticing them coming back in coats and jackets too. WTF! !??
Probably has to do with the feminist revival since 2012.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:02 PM

26,431 posts, read 46,631,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That was a fun video.
Awesome 80s flashback

Old 01-09-2015, 06:14 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,298,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This was my recollection, too, that candy-colored hair began in the 90's, but I couldn't quite recall. I'm not seeing anything on the fashion scene today that wasn't around decades ago. I have older relatives who used to wear skinny jeans back in the 1950's! They'd take their regular jeans to be altered. Nowadays with spandex added to the fabric, they're as skinny as you can get them, but that, also, is nothing new. Leggings and jeans/leggings hybrids have been around since the early 90's, at least.
I had stirrup pants in the 80s which were a lot like leggings.

Anyone remember those hideous overalls that looked like clown suits in the early 80's. They may have peaked earlier elsewhere. My state was years behind the fashion.

Anyone carry a comb or pick in your back pocket? Lol!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times
I think those examples in the video were the most extreme cases. I don't remember any normal people actually wearing leg warmers and head bands.

I do remember lots of acid washed denim, including jackets. Lots of Jordache brand clothing. And of course, the girls usually had big "teased" hair. Reebok sneakers were much more popular back then for guys.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
I had legwarmers. So did most girls in my second grade class at the time. This was 1984-1985.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:00 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,848,088 times
I recall my casual attire from those days with much as today...denim jeans(casual dating dress as in cotton/canvas trousers), casual sports shoes or casual dress ones as in dockers + a t-shirt or pullover (polo or la coste) much as today.

I did wear a bomber jacker ala Indiana Jones(still own and use it) and a Member's Only Jacket( sadly no longer with us)- Like the one currently worn by Jon Voight in Ray Donovan.

There was some questionable fashion but I was never part of that.

Ah, well the short shorts for men as worn by pro-tennis players then. Incredibly comfortable and far superior to the over-sized knee length stuff today. A big plus if one has handsome legs for a man as I do. Too many fat young people out there today and so they cover up their fattiness with sizes too large and long lengths on shorts. Did not see many fatties of my age back in the '80s in my travels.

Now hair is another issue. I had a full beard for most of my early-mid 20s and note they are popular now among that age group in those who can grow a decent beard. Van Damme made the mullet fashionable and Steven Segal the pony tail for men. I did not have mojo to wear one. I was Never a rebel.

As for women, well you know women tend to be frivolous and move from fashion to fashion. I think it is an excuse just to buy stuff over and over.

Last edited by Felix C; 01-10-2015 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty