Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:34 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
This is such BS, she has eyeliner on.
Yes, and lip gloss. Totally BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Not sure what you mean by makeup. I only use a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen, mascara and lipstick, but haven't used a makeup base or eye shadow or anything major since I stopped working a few years ago.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not sure what you mean by makeup. I only use a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen, mascara and lipstick, but haven't used a makeup base or eye shadow or anything major since I stopped working a few years ago.
That would be makeup in my book. Basically adding color counts to me.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
If this thread is any indication, the vast majority of women wear little or no makeup. If this is the case why do so many men complain about women wearing too much makeup and criticize artificial looking women? Shouldn't they love the way things are now? Many men seem to be under the impression women are wearing more makeup than ever when the exact opposite could be the truth.

Sometimes friends of mine have complained about women wearing makeup...just the other day it happened to me. To their surprise i do not agree with them. In fact they get quite a mouthful from me as I have a strong preference for women wearing makeup. I worship women with the artificial look. I resent these guys because they got exactly what they wanted (if this thread is any indication) but they are trying to get the minority (if it really is a minority, maybe this thread is not representitive of real life? ) of women who still wear makeup to go plain.

Many women will say they don't care what I or any man thinks. I would argue if no men criticized makeup more women would be wearing it. Also, a lot of this has to do with the type of man who is pro or anti makeup. From my observations men who are anti-makeup are dominant alpha males. Men who like to see women wear makeup like myself are more submissive. The dominant males are getting what they want.The same reason women aren't wearing makeup is the same reason the book and soon to be movie 50 shades of grey is so popular. I wouldn't be shocked if one of the demands of the dom male in that book is the woman can't wear makeup. Our culture is moving way more male dom and less women wearing makeup is an example of this. A polished woman=power and dominant males will not stand for it.
This is the biggest load of nonsense I've read in a long time. The women in my circle are in no way submissive. God, no. Just the idea of it makes me want to laugh hysterically. As for my daughter, she is disinclined to wear make-up because it's a giant pain in the butt for competitive swimmers, as are fussy hairstyles. Most of her friends are also athletes, and they tend to shun make-up, too. In any case, it certainly isn't because any of them are submissive.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-28-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Bottom line, I think overall more women wear at least SOME makeup than not - seems most here are in the not category. But in my day to day life I see more (of all ages) wearing at least a little bit, like I do. As I said before, I only wear a little eye makeup and lip gloss and many times most people would not even realize I am wearing anything because I try to keep it pretty natural. I think most women do what they want for themselves, not men or other women.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:13 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think that is considered make up. Especially given the mascara and lipstick.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:33 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
I am 63 and have only just started needing to wear make up because my hair has faded to a blondish silver color which leaves me very pale and a little rusty ginger remains. I need the color of even more make up than I like.

I was blessed with nice color in my youth, copper blond/red gold hair with blue eyes blond eyelashes pale skin and fairly reddish lips. I always used lotions, creams and moisturizers in self defense but took care of my skin more than using make up. Couldn't take the sun, so that probably helped retain my natural appearance for this long.

In my 40s I mostly wore moisturizer with sun screen and mascara. Lipstick once a day.

In my 30s it was more facials with mascara and lipstick.

In my 20s I experimented more.

In my teens it was noxema washes.

Hope this helps with your question. I don't like make up and never found it fun to get made up. Did like dressing up for dances and evenings out or wearing suits at work but it was mostly the hair and the dress.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:43 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,097 times
I only wear makeup on special occasions. Sometimes I go 6 months or even up to a year. I exercise on a regular basis & I hardly wear it in the summertime because of the heat.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I am 63 and have only just started needing to wear make up because my hair has faded to a blondish silver color which leaves me very pale and a little rusty ginger remains. I need the color of even more make up than I like.

I was blessed with nice color in my youth, copper blond/red gold hair with blue eyes blond eyelashes pale skin and fairly reddish lips. I always used lotions, creams and moisturizers in self defense but took care of my skin more than using make up. Couldn't take the sun, so that probably helped retain my natural appearance for this long.

In my 40s I mostly wore moisturizer with sun screen and mascara. Lipstick once a day.

In my 30s it was more facials with mascara and lipstick.

In my 20s I experimented more.

In my teens it was noxema washes.

Hope this helps with your question. I don't like make up and never found it fun to get made up. Did like dressing up for dances and evenings out or wearing suits at work but it was mostly the hair and the dress.
I am 40 and I still use Noxema every day!!!!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
This 20 year old has gone over 200 days..... yes, she's closing in on one year. Look at her pic..... hard to believe, isn't it?

What's the longest you've ever gone?

She says that every girl, no matter what they look like, is typically unhappy with her appearance. Interesting little article.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/would-y...654012109.html
I quit wearing makeup four years ago. Working outside in the AZ summer was NOT good for it. Nobody noticed or cared and I also noticed that most of the women I work with don't bother so why? When I was young...and didn't need it...I wore ALL of it. Now that I'm way older...and could probably use it...I simply do not care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty