Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 12:22 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,364,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Why do so many middle aged people think they look young for their age. Nearly everyone I know goes on and on about how young they feel and look and are so proud that they think they look 10 years younger than their real age.

Trouble is most of them really do look their age or even older and are in denial.

Will anyone here actually admit they look like someone their age or even look older than their age?

I will, I look every day of my 62 years of age, and more!
I tend to agree with you. And when people have asked me to "guess" their age, they usually got disappointed ~ I don't lie with my guesses.

But with improved cosmetics, better styling with hair and clothes, and a different outlook in later years, people in general do look better than prior generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 02:06 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
Well, sorry. I happen to know I look good for my age. my boyfriend is 20 years younger than me. I dont smoke, dont drink, stay out of sun and take amazing care of my skin, work out and get enough sleep. If you look you r age then Im sorry for you. Here in SoCal....thats a crime
You do have nice skin. I would put you at 40 years old.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:48 PM

265 posts, read 407,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
All of you in "old age denial" that love to tout about how everybody thinks you're xx years younger than you really are... People are really just being nice. Youre aging just like everybody else but it sucks to wrap your mind around because old is not desirable. That's why anti-aging and plastic surgery is a multi billion dollar a year industry in just America alone!

If you really think that people are confusing your forty something face for a 29 year old, try this: instead of asking them how old you look... Tell whoever that they win $20 if they guess your age +/- 2 years. Youll magically start hearing some more realistic guesses lol

Yep! I do this myself. If for example, a 35 year old asks "how old do you think I am?", I will most likely say an age 2-3 years than I actually think so I'm not rude. It also provides some cushion if you're way off. The worst is when you guess an age that's older than what they actually are. I know it's dumb - but we live in a pretty agist society these days.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,785,465 times
The only people I know that say that are either immature adults or guys that generally do not shave their face and just happen to shave their face.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:58 PM

102,458 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I always thought that he looked older than his age, too. People always said he was very handsome, young, etc. but he actually looked a lot older, and maybe that had to do with his numerous health issues. He was handsome in his 20s, 30s, though. The last few years of his life his face sometimes looked very pudgy and he was not overweight at all. He had under eye bags and wrinkles, also that freckling (browning) that comes with sun exposure. I think he had Cushing's disease or an autoimmune illness and he had to take medication, actually he had to take a lot of medications, including painkillers for his back. I think his war injuries took a huge toll on him.
Kennedy had Addison's Disease, which is kind of like chronic fatigue. The Presidency ages people. His early photos from the beginning of his Presidency reflect someone young and fairly vibrant.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,199,755 times
Default Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Kennedy had Addison's Disease, which is kind of like chronic fatigue. The Presidency ages people. His early photos from the beginning of his Presidency reflect someone young and fairly vibrant.
I do notice that presidents look a lot older than when they assumed office, except for Pres. Reagan, who was the oldest president (?), maybe that is why we didn't really see him age that much, but his mental faculties deteriorated after he left office. I think because he was always a man who had something to work on or be passionate about (film career, politics) and to go from 100 mph to 15 miles must of took a heavy toll on him. I know it was from complications of Alzheimers that he died from, but maybe his active years kept his brain in good shape.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 PM

71 posts, read 68,085 times
because the older ones has no bad habits at all unlike the generation now.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:10 AM

466 posts, read 586,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Why do so many middle aged people think they look young for their age. Nearly everyone I know goes on and on about how young they feel and look and are so proud that they think they look 10 years younger than their real age.
Trouble is most of them really do look their age or even older and are in denial.
Will anyone here actually admit they look like someone their age or even look older than their age?
I will, I look every day of my 62 years of age, and more!
I am 70 and quite honestly I don't care a monkeys how young or old I look. To me the most important thing is to keep the brain going and keeping up with the times. My grandkids keep me up to date with all the latest gadgets, our daughter keeps us up to date with what is good in shoes (she is a Podiatrist) and our son keeps us up to date with where we should put out money when we have any extra, (he is an Accountant). MH and I always have a book on the go and he has registered 3 patents last year so he is out looking for investors. I did a fair bit of his online research work for him and I still work as a freelancer online. So I don't have time to worry about how young/old I look! Oh we made a whole batch of soft cheese this year, put down 24 bottles of red wine and 12 bottles of white wine and made 6 bottles of sloe gin.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:00 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,330,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I do notice that presidents look a lot older than when they assumed office, except for Pres. Reagan, who was the oldest president (?), maybe that is why we didn't really see him age that much, but his mental faculties deteriorated after he left office. I think because he was always a man who had something to work on or be passionate about (film career, politics) and to go from 100 mph to 15 miles must of took a heavy toll on him. I know it was from complications of Alzheimers that he died from, but maybe his active years kept his brain in good shape.
For sure, it's tough job.

Obama looks a lot older than back 2008.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,684,332 times
There was just an age thread about Baby Boomers asking people to guess their age - ugh !

I've noticed the people that say they look young for their age, hardly ever do. If you look young for you age and if people comment and bring this to your attention, go celebrate !

Who really cares anyway ?

Anytime someone ask me to guess their age, I'm thinking uh-oh here this question is again - ugh ! Just listening to the person - they're always tell tale signs they they're having trouble with their age/aging and playing the age game is the biggest sign ! Also, focusing on age so much isn't a positive thing.

Going around saying you look young for your age really does the opposite and makes you look and sound older than you are.

Enjoy life and focus on positive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty