Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 PM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times

Advertisements

Why when describing oneself, or one's spouse or partner must it be noted and emphasized that the person does not look their age (always younger). Whatever that means. The standard is pretty fuzzy these days and it seems insecure to have to announce that, as well as it doesn't really matter. Most of us look somewhere around our age, sometimes it depends on the day and how we feel. I would be embarrassed to say I look younger than other people my age, or to say it about my bf or husband. I just don't get it, what ever happened to modesty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 05:44 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
It's because people fear getting old.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,012,452 times
Have you read a lot of the posts about age here? It's probably b'c many act like they're allergic to people over 40 and even over 30 is getting kind of hairy these days. I remember when I was in my 20s looking up to women older than myself. Nowadays, the younger women talk about older women 30+ like they're skanks b'c they're not in their 20s anymore. I don't remember hearing such rivalry in my 20s. Not in my circles. Maybe I lead an isolated life.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:58 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Are you only referring to internet postings? Or are people saying this in real life also?

On the message boards, I don't feel comfortable posting my picture, so I will say that I look much younger than I am. And maybe it's why my younger boyfriend didn't ask me my age when we first met, yet felt comfortable being best friends as if we were of the same generation, not 23 years apart.

And the men my age do look a lot older than I am. And my general manager is five years younger than I am and he also looks much older than I am.

And it's not a matter of being modest. Living a healthy lifestyle, not smoking cigarettes, not being a sun worshipper is part of why I look young for my age. I also was never one to be a regular bar or club goer, so not that many late nights in smoky bars getting drunk. And wearing high heels causes me foot pain, so I have spent most of my adult life encasing my feet in sneakers. I also don't wear makeup, and I feel that by not having to remove eye makeup at night, the skin around my eyes isn't all stretched and wrinkled.

Or rather, maybe I am the one who looks normal, and the rest of the older looking people my age just didn't take good care of their bodies.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are you only referring to internet postings? Or are people saying this in real life also?

On the message boards, I don't feel comfortable posting my picture, so I will say that I look much younger than I am.
Why?

Yes, this is mostly online since in real life you can see the person. It is rampant online -where the fountain of youth has been discovered.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Have you read a lot of the posts about age here? It's probably b'c many act like they're allergic to people over 40 and even over 30 is getting kind of hairy these days. I remember when I was in my 20s looking up to women older than myself. Nowadays, the younger women talk about older women 30+ like they're skanks b'c they're not in their 20s anymore. I don't remember hearing such rivalry in my 20s. Not in my circles. Maybe I lead an isolated life.
I think when I was in my 20s I couldn't have cared less about what older people were doing so it wasn't an issue. Now the generations have kind of merged and it's a little weird.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:34 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,012,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I think when I was in my 20s I couldn't have cared less about what older people were doing so it wasn't an issue. Now the generations have kind of merged and it's a little weird.
I'm not feeling this merge. LOL I know I admired a lot of older women when I was younger tho'. Tried to emulate some.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,456,807 times
Betty Friedman researched age representation in popular culture (ads, commercials, articles on aging) and her main conclusion was that older people were largely absent in the mind of public (creams for aging skin portrayed by young women), or are referenced only in a negative sense (problems of nursing homes, senility, burden on relatives). No one celebrates "the fountain of age". If a gerontologist is 70 years old, he/she still refers to "them", his/her objects of studying, but not himself. It is very important to not become "them". "They" equals diapers, senility, deterioration. People are compelled to stress that they are still on "this" side, including convincing themselves and others, that they look younger than their age.

Life between 50 and 90 years old does not have to be all about senility, people have a lot of creativity and curiosity and contributions to make during those 40 years. Age shouldn't be a shame.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 PM

34 posts, read 58,012 times
My husband was teasing his sister about her age....she flatly told him "It doesn't bother me because I know I don't look my age." He then corrected her...."You might not ACT your age or DRESS your age...but you LOOK your age." Soooo right. Just because your thong cuts a big 'V' into you butt cheeks under your mini dress, doesn't mean your not 53!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Why?

Yes, this is mostly online since in real life you can see the person. It is rampant online -where the fountain of youth has been discovered.
The million dollar question. Tamajane's my heroine tonight I'm gonna take down Sulla's portrait for 24 hours and have tamajane in huge letters for lack of a picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships