Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 03:07 PM

31,016 posts, read 22,056,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Is there something horrific about being a grandma? I've pretty much worn various style earrings since I was 14. But now, as a grandma, my metal earrings are 18kt & my rhinestones are diamonds. This is a problem for people?
This looks so much better. I usually don't say Stupid kids, but "Stupid Kids" and adults too! You go dude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I wear ear cuffs, and dangle stuff of that. It connects with a chain to the bottom of the ear. I've worn these for years and make my own. Just one... on the right ear. This is in honor of my favorite trek, DS9, and my favorite 'aliens', the Bajorans.

I do beading and most of the dangles are made of those and very light weight. They look different but pretty and are comfortable. I also wear pendants attached the cuff as it takes a lot of weight and balances it. Using cooper wire which won't break I found a way to make a 'squeezable' ear cuff which is easy on and off.

I have one style after the Bajoran style and love the way it jingles and peaks through your ear. My left ear will not tolerate anything with pull so I use a little silver loop. Has to be silver as its the only kind I can wear.

I love how people would ask me if I lost an earring. But when you dangle them off the cuff (in the middle of the ear, not the top) the dangles move around and poke through your hair and if you do it right have this nice little sound.

Who wants to be normal anyway? (and I'm more grandma territory now than teen alas.)
In my neighborhood that is normal. You would fit right in. Many people wear that style.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
There is a huge variety of earrings between gauges and the formal dangles you posted. I don't care for gauging. The second pair you posted belong at a wedding, not for everyday wear.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Just wondering, if a person has the real plug earrings, then wants to quit wearing them, do the size of the
holes return to a smaller size in time or not?
That sort of earring is considered a body modification, since each time you get a larger plug to stretch the hole. So no -- they don't close up.

We had a bagel shop near here that closed. One of the guys behind he counter had those gauges, and I just couldn't eat there if he was handling the food. If he was on register, I was okay...

I know that's just dumb, but really -- it was SO unappetizing to watch him handle food. Found out later that a lot of people felt that way, and the store probably suffered from it....

Old 03-27-2014, 12:46 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In my neighborhood that is normal. You would fit right in. Many people wear that style.
There is another style, I think its called an ear wrap? The wire goes around the whole ear and drops a decoration in front of the ear and hooks into the ear lobe with a second one. They are fun but don't work well with glasses. I love craft fairs and convention jewlery sales, since the stuff sold is origional looking.

I just finished remaking my dominion war starfleet uniform, so maybe should make one like the show to wear with that. I LOVE not looking like everyone else.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:14 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,049 times
I agree with the other response there is a middle ground. I like simple diamond studs or what are called huggies which are small diamond hoops. I have seen some women where pretty beaded dangle earrings with jeans that are nice too.
I am not a jewelry person and if I wear anything I like it to be simple. Other people are different and what to make a statement what ever that may be.
I don't care for any that make the hole bigger or even heavy dangle earrings that make slits.
The fancy pair on here does not remind me of a grandma but does remind me of a night out such as a wedding.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There is another style, I think its called an ear wrap? The wire goes around the whole ear and drops a decoration in front of the ear and hooks into the ear lobe with a second one. They are fun but don't work well with glasses. I love craft fairs and convention jewlery sales, since the stuff sold is origional looking.

I just finished remaking my dominion war starfleet uniform, so maybe should make one like the show to wear with that. I LOVE not looking like everyone else.
I am familiar with the ear wrap style. Those are more elaborate as they can wind around the ear. But the most common ones are the ear cuffs with the chain. We have a large SciFi convention here each year and quite a few smaller ones where the star fleet ones reminiscent of DS9 are a very popular item. Also, you can find this style at street fairs and our neighborhoods that tend to have street vendors have many different versions.

You would love this area because you would have lots of choices of this version. Of course, they won't be exactly like the Bajoran ones but the design with the chain connecting to the bottom of the ear is still very popular. I used to have both but now that I wear hearing aids and glasses, they just don't work for me. Too much stuff around the ears gets kind of annoying.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 PM

541 posts, read 860,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Anyone who thinks the second pair shown are only "grandma earrings" apparently did not watch the academy awards presentation. Young, beautiful women showed off their gorgeous gowns, shoes and jewelry. The jewelry included earrings that had the classic look of these so-called "granny earrings." They never go out of style.
I agree. I also noticed at the Academy Awards that there were many young female stars wearing those "grandma earrings". I think certain people associate those earrings with "grandma" because maybe the only time they see her is at events where she's dressed up.

To the OP, plenty of "young women" wear normal earrings. I don't see the stretched lobes very much anymore and it may have a lot to do with trying to get employment as employers tend to not be thrilled with the look. I know people who joined the Army and were told upon enlisting that they must have surgery to close up those stretched lobes.

Last edited by Tantamount; 03-28-2014 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty