Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,961,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Kinda sad when nice, elegant earrings are regarded as "grandma earrings".
Is there something horrific about being a grandma? I've pretty much worn various style earrings since I was 14. But now, as a grandma, my metal earrings are 18kt & my rhinestones are diamonds. This is a problem for people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 02:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,581,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Is there something horrific about being a grandma? I've pretty much worn various style earrings since I was 14. But now, as a grandma, my metal earrings are 18kt & my rhinestones are diamonds. This is a problem for people?
I am not sure if you were speaking to me but I have no problem at all. I was just pointing out I don't see why they have to be the only type of earrings "grandmas" wear. They can look great regardless of age or status as a parent/grandmother etc.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,961,748 times
Quote:
I am not sure if you were speaking to me but I have no problem at all. I was just pointing out I don't see why they have to be the only type of earrings "grandmas" wear. They can look great regardless of age or status as a parent/grandmother etc.
Lol--not you! Just the quickest "grandma" comment to quote. I completely agree.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 PM

37,661 posts, read 46,099,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Just wondering, if a person has the real plug earrings, then wants to quit wearing them, do the size of the
holes return to a smaller size in time or not?
Most of the time, no, they don't. They usually require plastic surgery.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,484,276 times
Quote:
Yeah I don't get that, do they not realize not only how damaging it is to their ear but when they get older they're going to have some ugly looking droopy ears? Ick! I remember I was out shopping with my daughter looking at earrings and she told me how much she hated those plugs and boy was I happy. Considering how her bf is, like her quite conservative and has said how much he loves the way she looks/dresses I very much doubt he likes them either.
Every time I see those especially with the big holes in the stretched out earlobes it brings out my gag reflex. I just can't help it. To me it looks like mutilation. I am a believer in people wearing whatever they want but this is just something I can't look at.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 AM

9 posts, read 29,418 times
The second pair my grand maa wears.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,285,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeoscar1 View Post
The second pair my grand maa wears.
She has great taste.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,484,276 times
Anyone who thinks the second pair shown are only "grandma earrings" apparently did not watch the academy awards presentation. Young, beautiful women showed off their gorgeous gowns, shoes and jewelry. The jewelry included earrings that had the classic look of these so-called "granny earrings." They never go out of style.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,287,682 times
I wear ear cuffs, and dangle stuff of that. It connects with a chain to the bottom of the ear. I've worn these for years and make my own. Just one... on the right ear. This is in honor of my favorite trek, DS9, and my favorite 'aliens', the Bajorans.

I do beading and most of the dangles are made of those and very light weight. They look different but pretty and are comfortable. I also wear pendants attached the cuff as it takes a lot of weight and balances it. Using cooper wire which won't break I found a way to make a 'squeezable' ear cuff which is easy on and off.

I have one style after the Bajoran style and love the way it jingles and peaks through your ear. My left ear will not tolerate anything with pull so I use a little silver loop. Has to be silver as its the only kind I can wear.

I love how people would ask me if I lost an earring. But when you dangle them off the cuff (in the middle of the ear, not the top) the dangles move around and poke through your hair and if you do it right have this nice little sound.

Who wants to be normal anyway? (and I'm more grandma territory now than teen alas.)

Last edited by nightbird47; 03-26-2014 at 02:16 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 02:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,287,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
My wife met me without pierced ears, and continues after many years to be a wonderful spouse without pierced ears. I adore her, and hope she feels the same toward me. I do not understand why people pierce or tattoo their bodies. I guess fashion changes over time. I'm glad my wife and I are not fashionable.
Actually I did pierced ears for the simple reason that I like to wear earrings and the ones that clamp on HURT a LOT after awhile, and even more when you take them off. Piercing with 'gun' is simple and almost painless and the earrings also don't just slip off. I think many women who like earrings, even normal standard one, have them pierced because they are tired of lost earrings and pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty