Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,220,264 times

Advertisements

So, once spring begins in NJ, several ads start popping up about how men should wax their chest clean for a smooth feel. However, I wonder if there is any correlation between body smoothness and amount of body hair. My personal opinion is that it all depends on how you take care of your body hair. I admit that my chest is hairy, but it feels kind of smooth to touch in spite of body hair. I take care of my body hair on a daily basis while showering and that has kept my chest clean, fresh & smooth. So, what do all of you think. Any opinions on what constitutes a smooth chest. Does your body hair HAVE to be waxed well for a smooth chest ? Personally, I prefer not to wax off my chest hair.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 02-05-2014 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,815,656 times
Smooth is sort of subjective...it's your decision in the end.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,194,782 times
I always liked my men to look like men. I've often wondered if slick, waxed men are really worth bothering with.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I always liked my men to look like men. I've often wondered if slick, waxed men are really worth bothering with.
What about men who are naturally smooth? Do they not look like men to you?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,169,298 times
This may be generational.

I am female and in my 50s and I find the notion of men waxing or removing normal body hair so abhorrent and weird that a man who somehow removed normal body hair would be a no-go for me; as in deal breaker. Creepy. Eww. What is WRONG with you weird.

What the ever-loving heck is with this "clean, fresh & smooth" obsession? Is it driven by advertising? Is it driven by a fear of not being perceived as clean? Is it part of the antibacterial paranoia? Is it a fear of raw and real sexuality and sensuality (this is my vote).

Pretty much, I would not date a man who waxed or was otherwise afraid of his body hair. I would assume a guy like that is afraid of bodies and sex and physical activity in general, so why bother.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

I am female and in my 50s and I find the notion of men waxing or removing normal body hair so abhorrent and weird that a man who somehow removed normal body hair would be a no-go for me; as in deal breaker. Creepy. Eww. What is WRONG with you weird.

What the ever-loving heck is with this "clean, fresh & smooth" obsession? Is it driven by advertising? Is it driven by a fear of not being perceived as clean? Is it part of the antibacterial paranoia? Is it a fear of raw and real sexuality and sensuality (this is my vote).

Pretty much, I would not date a man who waxed or was otherwise afraid of his body hair. I would assume a guy like that is afraid of bodies and sex and physical activity in general, so why bother.
That's what I don't get either. In my opinion, men are supposed to flaunt their body hair. I do admit to shaving my underarms on rare occasions, but thats only when dealing with hyperhydrosis and I found armpit sweat really annoying and in my way with all that hair. Otherwise, my hair is cleaned up and in tact on the body.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

Yet you're not freaked out by men removing normal facial hair?

And you find nothing weird about women doing it?

Just a silly double standard...

Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
That's what I don't get either. In my opinion, men are supposed to flaunt their body hair. I do admit to shaving my underarms on rare occasions, but thats only when dealing with hyperhydrosis and I found armpit sweat really annoying and in my way with all that hair. Otherwise, my hair is cleaned up and in tact on the body.
'Flaunt'? Lol...We're not all Middle Easterners or Italians. Even a lot of Europeans don't have a lot of body hair, a lot have naturally shaved chests. Most Asian and African (some AA's have chest hair due to European mixture) males also have smooth chests. I don't have visible chest hair (well unless you look quite closely) nor am I that hairy in general. I'm sure there are some women as hairy as men or moreso even if they are unshaved. I don't find the idea of being hairy particularly appealing. I'd rather be smoother than hairier. Why do I want to 'flaunt' by body hair, does it make me more masculine? In that case are Middle Easterners more masculine? lol

Old 02-06-2014, 03:24 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,194,782 times
There is a big difference in a man that is naturally smooth and hairless and one that goes to all the trouble to shave his body. It affects the attitude.

As far as shaving his face, I think, and I may be wrong, that a lot of men don't like a face full of hair.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 AM

Waxing automatically assumes that one naturally has body hair but wants to remove it. Naturally hairless and smooth does not warrant waxing.

Facial hair is an entirely different ball game. I make it sure to be clean shaven as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty