Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:12 PM

161 posts, read 581,256 times

Advertisements

I have acne on my chest and this makes me very self-conscious about wearing low-cut tops. And if anyone were to ever see me topless, I'm afraid they would run away at the site of my chest! Any suggestions on what I can use to get rid of it? I've tried Proactive's bath wash and Neutrogena's body scrub (both of which are made from salicylic acid). Would I be better off going with something that uses benzoyl peroxide instead? I haven't seen a body wash made of b.p. though, only s.a. I have acne on my face too, but I can at least cover it up with makeup. I'm 23 by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
Doesn't proactive use Benzoyl Peroxide? Anyway, I would suggest try using something with BP if you don't like SA. I can't use products with SA (it irritates my skin and literally tears it up) but I've been using Proactive (with BP) for years and I love it. You won't know until you try it and see how your skin reacts to it.

Did you not like the Proactive or Neutrogena? What did you not like?

What do you use on your face?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:59 AM

809 posts, read 3,568,757 times
Try an antibacterial soap and try to shower shortly after working out.

If what you're trying isn't working, I would recommend seeing a dermatologist. The stuff they can prescribe is a lot better than OTC stuff, especially if the OTC stuff isn't working. The Dr. will look at your chest and back too.

If you have health insurance, you should only have to pay your co-pay for the prescriptions. It could end up being cheaper than pro-active, etc especially if you get generic meds.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Doesn't proactive use Benzoyl Peroxide?

Did you not like the Proactive or Neutrogena? What did you not like?

What do you use on your face?
Right, Proactive uses BP in their face cleanser. But the body wash is made from SA.

I like both the Proactive and Neutrogena for my face. Both seem to work the same, the Proactive a little better probably. It's just more convenient for me to pick up the Neutrogena while I'm at Target than is to order Proactive and wait for it to ship or go to the mall and buy it.

But for the body wash, neither the Proactive or Neutrogena helps. I guess I may just have to get an extra bottle of Proactive face cleanser to use on my body.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
Try an antibacterial soap and try to shower shortly after working out.

If what you're trying isn't working, I would recommend seeing a dermatologist. The stuff they can prescribe is a lot better than OTC stuff, especially if the OTC stuff isn't working. The Dr. will look at your chest and back too.

If you have health insurance, you should only have to pay your co-pay for the prescriptions. It could end up being cheaper than pro-active, etc especially if you get generic meds.
I don't really work out so that won't make a difference But interesting that you should mention that. I've noticed that my chest breaks out worse in the summer than in the winter, so maybe the acne is cause by sweat.

I've been trying to avoid going to the dermatologist but I may have to. It's frustrating still having acne, when most people have outgrown it by now.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
I would try using the Proactiv face system on your chest area. And that is definitely good advice to shower after you work out.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
You have to take a LOT of showers and keep the area really clean. I would also recommend using a glycolic acid gel (not lotion) maybe 15-20% and use it 2x per day. This is what I've been using for years:

Amazon.com: DCL AHA Revitalizing Gel 20 4 oz.: Health & Personal Care

Old 06-29-2009, 10:57 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,377 times
Use black soap. Clears skin right up. Also use baby powder it keeps the skin dry and prevents oil buildup.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Her

298 posts, read 868,522 times
I cannot use anything with Benzoyl P in it. It makes me red and makes me peel. I had horrible acne. I was basically purple. So after numerous visits to the dermatologist, followed by various prescriptions for products...all of which made me itch and peel...i gave up. It was not just my face. It was my arms and back too and my chest.

I went the natural remedies way. lol. Start taking zinc supplements. Cleared my skin up and now I dont even use special washes or anything. Just soap. I still take zinc. It was the only thing that helped. I recommend it to everyone.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:18 PM

901 posts, read 2,986,940 times
I'm assuming you're a woman based on the low cut tops comment. One thing that really worked for me was being on the Pill. I've never had much of a problem with facial acne, but I did get it on my chest and back a lot. Most BCPs help with acne, but tell your dr that you want one that specifically helps fight acne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty