Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM

453 posts, read 636,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Teens do, unfortunately. And the result can be low self-esteem.
I didn't even as a teen. But maybe I'm weird.

Then again, when I was a teenager, retouching photos involved an airbrush rather than Photoshop. Still wasn't perhaps the most natural look but maybe the changes were less extreme, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 AM

539 posts, read 737,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Grown women should be able to do to their faces whatever they want. If you want a woman who is natural then find a woman who chooses to be natural but don't expect ALL women to confirm to your idea of natural beauty.

My husband didn't even want me wearing lip gloss. But it wasn't because he preferred a natural look, he was abusive and telling me he didn't want me wearing make up was just another means to try to control me. Telling me not to wear make up also turned into him trying to control what I ate and my comings and goings. But he learned his lesson. He's not my husband anymore--because I left his a**!!!

I have noticed even outside of my own experience that men who say this sort of thing are controlling and misogynistic. Men who say they don't women to alter their appearance basically doesn't want a woman who has "wings." Let's face it: most women look a whole lot better when they enhance themselves, whether it's buy wearing make up adding hair extensions (done right and natural-looking) or even adding nails. A woman who takes the time to enhance her appearance not only looks good, she looks good to other men.

Female enhancement gives a woman wings. It creates options for her in terms of men. It makes her attractive to more than just one man, and men who have complaints such as these basically wants a woman who's plain so he doesn't have to worry about her having options leaving him for another man.
Couldn't disagree with you more. Shame on you for attempting to shame a man that appreciates women for who they are and not the paint they put on their faces.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,474,756 times
I wouldn't leave the house without a bit of make up.

I do not use foundation..I don't need it. But, I do apply a LITTLE eyeliner and eye shadow and brow color. I doubt most would even realize it is actually make up I have applied..it is that subtle. Without it, I am as plain as can be. With it, I feel more attractive. No, I don;t do it for men, I do it for ME.

In my line of work, we are expected to look our best and to look professionally groomed. Beyond that, I think I would feel naked without it.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:30 PM

6,623 posts, read 4,984,251 times
[puts on a helmet ]
Hypergamy. On some level, as in subconscious or peer pressure, women are fighting to maximize their attractiveness, to obtain or keep the best guys. Not all women, but many. Since few if any women are naturally 9s or 10s (beyond a young, very narrow age range) and many are lazy or poorly informed, they rely too much on trickery and not enough on fitness (nutrition, exercise, sleep, etc.) and good skin care. There's sometimes another reason, being unsatisfactorily looks-maxed using the more honest methods.

If only women would collude with each other toward more natural beauty. But with long hair, please, and I'm not discouraging subtle cosmetic procedures that can level the playing field.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:49 AM

3,383 posts, read 6,664,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces. Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
What most men fail to realize is that most all women look 100X better with a bit of makeup.

Even those women that most men feel are perfect being natural, still have makeup on; it's just a more natural look, not glamour or night look makeup.

IMO makeup on a woman is like icing on a cake. Sure too much is a PITA and not good, but very few people want a plain cake with no icing. Most want a good balance between the cake and icing.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:16 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,475,676 times
No make up here. I've got much better things to spend my money on.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 AM
xqt

76 posts, read 130,077 times
Did you ever consider that maybe some women like to wear makeup and don't do everything to please you?

Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,958,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
What most men fail to realize is that most all women look 100X better with a bit of makeup.

Even those women that most men feel are perfect being natural, still have makeup on; it's just a more natural look, not glamour or night look makeup.

IMO makeup on a woman is like icing on a cake. Sure too much is a PITA and not good, but very few people want a plain cake with no icing. Most want a good balance between the cake and icing.
The reason I started this thread because men like myself and others don't care about what you've just wrote.

Sure you can look 5-10-100x better but I still like to see you and get to know you without makeup on because in my mind that's the face I'll remember.

If you look 50x better today with makeup and tomorrow change your lip or eye liner to something different I might see you -50x worse.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:52 PM

453 posts, read 636,984 times
Quote:
The reason I started this thread because men like myself and others don't care about what you've just wrote.

Sure you can look 5-10-100x better but I still like to see you and get to know you without makeup on because in my mind that's the face I'll remember.

If you look 50x better today with makeup and tomorrow change your lip or eye liner to something different I might see you -50x worse.
If a simple change of lipstick shade or eyeliner can alter your opinion of a woman that much, might I suggest you're focusing on the wrong things?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,664,455 times
Quote:

If a bit of color would cause you to change your perceptions so negatively in such a short time, than I'm glad I am NOT on your radar!

And my whole point is, makeup can be SO subtle, that most men, (yes men like you) CAN NOT tell the woman is wearing makeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty