Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you use Bar Soap
Daily 72 64.86%
Frequently 5 4.50%
Occasionally 6 5.41%
Rarely 12 10.81%
Never 16 14.41%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:55 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,836,988 times

Advertisements

I use Dial "Spring Water" anti-bacterial body wash. It's available in liter bottles with a dispenser pump. That is important because it can be dispensed using just one hand. It is also good for occasional hand-washing of clothing items, while traveling. (I squirt some in a large Zip lock, toss in my underwear, fill with hot water, and let it soak for a few hours. Rinse and hang later.)
When I use bar soap, I prefer glycerin soap such as Pears, or the high-end ones I get "free" at the Venetian/Palazzo in Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 AM

332 posts, read 498,819 times
Maybe once or twice a week if I'm having a quick rinse. We always have a bar of Imperial Leather in the shower. I prefer body wash most of the time though.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 PM

208 posts, read 604,366 times
I have both bar soap and body wash in my bathroom (because I like to vary it up from day to day), but most of the time I reach for the bar soap. It's something I grew up with, and I guess old habits die hard.

For a while, I could use nothing but Olay's sensitive bar (with moisturizer and is fragrance-free) due to bad eczema. Now I'm back to using all sorts of fruity, frilly soaps.

Regular bar soaps really are much cheaper, though there are some who just can't use them. My husband has sensitive skin and most bar soaps give him problems, so he uses body wash. As a result, his cleansing products cost more than mine.

I've made my own glycerin soaps before - you can control what you put into it, including coloring, fragrances, etc. but they're only economical if you make a big batch.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times
Soaps and synthetic materials damage my skin, so I never use it. I use natural products that do not damage my skin, and when I say natural I mean natural.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,217,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I use natural products that do not damage my skin, and when I say natural I mean natural.
Coconut oil perhaps. Keeps your skin healthy and smooth .

Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Coconut oil perhaps. Keeps your skin healthy and smooth .
I've heard coconut oil working for others, but I prefer not to use oil.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I've heard coconut oil working for others, but I prefer not to use oil.
I cant use coconut oil here in the winter because it freezes over. I reckon the same problem persists in St. Louis as winters are quite cold (Especially this one. I keep hearing how brutal it is). I do make use of coconut oil in summer though. Has been very successful in maintaining smooth arms, chest, and legs in spite of body hair.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:12 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I cant use coconut oil here in the winter because it freezes over. I reckon the same problem persists in St. Louis as winters are quite cold (Especially this one. I keep hearing how brutal it is). I do make use of coconut oil in summer though. Has been very successful in maintaining smooth arms, chest, and legs in spite of body hair.
Indeed it is cold. I tried coconut oil few times but my skin just looked like an oil slick.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,916,017 times
Provided one does not have a problem with dry skin, I see no advantage to NOT using bar soap. I am 69 and have used bar soap for both hand washing and showering for an entire lifetime. My philosophy is if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I don't perceive any problems with my use of bar soap.

Advertising loves to make people feel that the product they are using (not limited to soap) is not good enough. My theory is that insecure people are more likely to fall for that basic line.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Indeed it is cold. I tried coconut oil few times but my skin just looked like an oil slick.

OH !!!!!!, that issue ,now I remember. One must not pour water right on top of the coconut oil . It should be applied and then absorbed by the body. We use a special south Indian herbal powder called Shikkakai to wash off the oil from our bodies. Here is a link to help out:

Health and Medicinal Benefits of having Oil Bath - Ayurvedic and Natural Home Remedies for a Healthy LivingAyurvedic and Natural Home Remedies for a Healthy Living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty