Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times

Advertisements

I hate carrying an umbrella so I buy raincoats with hoods; they stand up to the wind much better and it can't be lost or stolen.

I have never lost or broken a pair of sunglasses although my dog once ate a pair. I make sure to take care of them.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 12:54 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
OP, you've had sunglasses stolen? Who would steal sunglasses, and why?

My sunglasses are prescription, so they do cost a pretty penny. So it's painful when I lose them. I've become a lot better now at being mindful about either keeping them in the car, or making sure I put them in my purse.

I can't imagine someone stealing an umbrella, either. I used to lose them when I was living in Seattle, where they're a necessity, and I rode the bus. I left several on the bus. After that, I only bought the cheap, folding kind.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times
I don't think I've ever head sunglasses stolen, just lost or broken. But umbrellas, yes, frequently. I even had a co-worker once who proudly said that he never paid for an umbrella in his life, he just "picks them up" when other people leave them someplace.

I'm not someone who is especially careless with my belongings. I very, very rarely lose anything (except sunglasses which I guess fall out of my car when I get up and maybe they were on my lap). With my last umbrella theft, I had the unbrella on the floor right under my chair. My jacket was on the back of my chair, my coffee cup was on the table along with my folder-portfolio thingy. Each time I walked away, like to the bathroom, I would take my purse but not all those other things. Everything else was still there, except the umbrella. I wonder if my former co-worker was at that conference?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I hate carrying an umbrella so I buy raincoats with hoods; they stand up to the wind much better and it can't be lost or stolen.

I have never lost or broken a pair of sunglasses although my dog once ate a pair. I make sure to take care of them.
I had this great yellow rainhat that I loved. It had strings, like shoelaces, that could be tied under the chin to hold it to your head in the wind. It was so much better than carrying an umbrella.

Alas, I lost it. I must have dropped it when commuting. I should look for another one.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:36 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,745,349 times
We don't get a ton of rain here. I like funky vintage umbrellas and will purchase those when I come across them in thrift stores. They are never where I need them to be when it rains though. I never seem to have one in the car if it starts raining while I am out, or if I am in the house then the umbrella will be in the car.

The last "cheap" folding umbrella I bought was $15 which I think is ridiculous but it was cute (with polka dots) and I bought it during an unusually rainy period. I still prefer a $3 thrift store umbrella though.

Umbrellas don't get much use though, that's my point. As a side note I've wanted some cute rain boots for years and never could justify buying any for that same reason. Not enough rain.
My grandmother had a thing for umbrellas and had a collection of 15 to 20 that she kept by the front door. I think she brought them from when she lived on the East coast though, certainly wouldn't need all of them here!

Sunglasses I buy as cheap as possible for the same reason as the OP. I lose them, or they get scratched, dropped, etc. I even hit Dollar Tree for sunglasses from time to time and buy 3 or 4 pair at a time.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:46 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
I don't remember when I had to replace the sunglasses. The umbrella, yes, in New York they don't last long so I don't think it pays to purchase a good one. The only one that lasted was this double layered thing which is heavy as heck so we don't use it.

I am curious about the people who place their umbrellas under their seats. If I am in a theater and the space is not occupied, I always place it under the seat in front of me where I can keep an eye on it, the way we do in airplanes. If I put it under my own seat it would have to be far enough back so I wouldn't step on it and that would just be offering a gift to those behind me.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I went to a conference on Monday with mental health professionals from all over the state. It was rainy, so I brought one of my cheap, black, collapsible umbrellas. Of course, by the end of the day, I found that someone else had taken my umbrella. It wasn't even like I had left it out someplace to dry; it was on the floor right under my seat!

This is why I never spend more than $7.99 on an umbrella. I just get cheap black ones that fold up small. But I know people who have more pricy umbrellas with colors and patterns, even designer umbrellas, like Burberry.

Same with sunglasses. I go to Target or Walmart, and buy sunglasses for $10 or under. They get sat on & crushed. They get lost or stolen. They fall out of the car as I'm getting out. I can't see spending $80 on designer sunglasses, but I know people who do. Sure I spend a little bit of time trying them on, to get the right shape for my face, but I don't get anything fancy.

I guess if I spent a lot on sunglasses or umbrellas, I'd probably be more careful about guarding them from theft and not breaking them. But I can still see that they would get broken, lost, or strolen pretty regularly.

With clothing and shoes, I tend to spend more, to get quality pieces that will last a long time. But umbrellas and sunglasses, to me, are "disposable."

How about you?
Umbrellas? Totally disposable. Sunglasses....I definitely spend money on good ones. I like seeing clearly in the sun - I spend a lot of time on the water, so it's important. I take care of them...and have kept a pair for many years.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
I wear prescription glasses, and with every new pair I buy, I get e-clips for them. They fit perfectly over the frames. They pretty much stay in my car, and are the first things I put on when I get in. I never lose them.

As for umbrellas -- after I bought a good raincoat with a hood, I ditched 'em. I have one in my car (which, by the way I figured out is my PURSE!) but I can't even begin to know where in my car it is. I know where my hammer is in my car (right under the drivers seat)... and my extra towels.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:33 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
I do consider umbrellas and sunglasses disposable.

I lose umbrellas, or break them, more than sunglasses. Therefore, I pay as little as I can for them.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:58 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,167,111 times
I love a good pair of Sunglasses. I will spend money on a nice pair of Ray Bans. I've had a pair stolen out of my friends locked car before, but I will now only keep them within sight!

I couldn't care less about umbrellas. If It's going to rain, I'll throw my cheap one in a purse or wear a raincoat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty