Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM

9 posts, read 18,857 times

Advertisements

I get a kick out of some of my very well off female friends. They spend so much time and money on their beauty. They do everything they can to look hot. Diet, exercises, cosmetic surgery, expensive hair cuts and treatments, the best makeup, the best designer clothes and an eye to what is the most fashionable today. I ask them why they are so obsessive about their looks and they said their peers and social standing demand it. If you want to live the rich life with rich friends you need to look good.

And they do!

If you were a multi millionaire would you spend lots of time and money on trying to be beautiful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Time..no.

Money...probably.

LOL

Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Political Animal View Post
I get a kick out of some of my very well off female friends. They spend so much time and money on their beauty. They do everything they can to look hot. Diet, exercises, cosmetic surgery, expensive hair cuts and treatments, the best makeup, the best designer clothes and an eye to what is the most fashionable today. I ask them why they are so obsessive about their looks and they said their peers and social standing demand it. If you want to live the rich life with rich friends you need to look good.

And they do!

If you were a multi millionaire would you spend lots of time and money on trying to be beautiful?
Not a lot, but maintaining my looks be a priority. And I meant more the diet, exercise and spa and dermatology route, not plastic surgeries.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
No. I would probably put a lot of money towards something like Elder patient advocacy and cancer research/treatment.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Time..no.

Money...probably.

LOL
^^^This!

But in reality. I'd trade up in a few categories. And remain the same in others. For me it is really all about the hunt. I'd just have more places to find my prey if I had more money.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
I'd probably spend $ at MAC and go to a spa and get massaged and facials regularly

Right now in terms of make up I only have the things I really need...all from MAC of course

Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Political Animal View Post
I ask them why they are so obsessive about their looks and they said their peers and social standing demand it. If you want to live the rich life with rich friends you need to look good.

And they do!

No.
However, I don't hang out with people who are like this, either-my reference group (social network) is not comprised of people shelling out vast sums for incremental visual improvements. These people whom the OP mentions are probably in a highly competitive market (for whichever resources, be it in the professional or personal realm).

Aside from fiscal reasons, I don't do cosmetic surgery (or a number of other measures) because I detest pain/discomfort, so even if I had tons o' cash, I wouldn't be willing/able to tolerate any unnecessary medical procedures. For instance, I wear glasses-while contact lenses would look better, for me it's not worth the trade-off (the downsides to wearing contacts compared with the upsides of wearing glasses). My reasons include money, though that's far from only reason I don't use contacts. When forced to choose, I prefer to physically feel good over visually looking good (yet feeling awful/uncomfy).

Plus, aging happens every day-it would be a losing battle trying to make myself look as if I weren't subject to the passage of time-I have more than enough hassle just dying my grey hair...If I suddenly had funds, I would make sure that any future dental work was high quality, top-of-the-line, long-lasting materials (rather than the cheap versions covered by insurance for the impoverished)-but that's more about functionality & durability than mere facade/appearances.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
I'd certainly spend a lot more time and money than I do now, that's for sure! There are treatments and pampering that I would enjoy having done on a regular basis that simply aren't in my current budget. C'est la vie.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
If I had money that I didn't need for living, I'd have major plastic surgery! Major! Don't know if I'd spend more on items that I buy now, but I would splurge for a facelift!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,079 times
Time? No. I don't really care too much.

Money? Okay, I do like shopping. I want to buy all the tuxedo flats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty