Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

I think the worst combination is fair skin, a smoker, a tanner, and a person who is very thin. By that I mean, all that in ONE person - LOL. I know several women who fall into this category and WITHOUT EXCEPTION they look awful now that they are in their forties and above. It's a real pity, because also without exception, they were hotties when they were younger - good figures, slim and tan...now they just look like crap. And really, there's no undoing it.

The thing that strikes me about these women is that I always wonder - at what point did you realize what you were doing to your skin? When did it start to matter to you, or are you still blind to the damage? I mean, heck, I have good skin and even I am horrified by the damage I've done to the skin on my chest - an area that I never really even thought about protecting much since it seemed indestructible. Now, I think I've barely caught it in time and I'm always feverishly slathering sunscreen and moisturizers on it. I can't imagine watching this damage happen to my FACE and continuing to abuse my skin! And yet I see many of these same women continuing to smoke and to tan, and to fight to remain extremely thin. I just don't get it. Did they just give up and say "Well, I may be wrinkled, but I'm not going to be wrinkled AND pale AND ten pounds heavier!!!" What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:42 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hehehe, I soooo agree with you (as usual ) And as I mentioned before, at age 64 I ONLY have "wrinkles" when I smile now, not really even wrinkles as such, which as someone pointed out is usually loss of volume due to aging. I didn't even have those until my late 50s or so. And I have lived in Florida ALL my life and get sun every day. The sun hasn't caused wrinkling - burning your skin and SMOKING is what gives most people their wrinkles. All of the smokers I have ever known that would also go out and "tan' have leathery alligator like skin. It's from all the toxic free radicals and lack of proper hydration.

And by the way, I have known young women in their 20s who already had severe crow's feet and brow furrows!
Nope. Smoking didn't cause it. You probably don't spend 9 hours a day, 365 days a year out in that South Florida sun, either. Of course the skin burned, like I said, my skin is very fair, sunscreen is pointless when you sweat so much. I do not have alligator skin. I do not have leathery skin. Smoking didn't do a thing. The sun did.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Nope. Smoking didn't cause it. You probably don't spend 9 hours a day, 365 days a year out in that South Florida sun, either. Of course the skin burned, like I said, my skin is very fair, sunscreen is pointless when you sweat so much. I do not have alligator skin. I do not have leathery skin. Smoking didn't do a thing. The sun did.
No offense, but if you have smoked for years, you simply can't say where sun damage ends and smoking damage begins. Smoking DOES damage skin over time, especially fragile skin around our eyes and lips. You don't know and can't ever know how your skin would have withstood the test of time WITHOUT your smoking. But what we do know is that smoking is harmful to skin over time.

Smoking: Does it cause wrinkles? - MayoClinic.com

Smoking Effects Pictures: How Smoking Affects the Teeth, Face, Lips, Skin & Breasts

Smoking and its effects on the skin. DermNet NZ

So regardless of how "good" a smoker looks after smoking for twenty years, that same person could have looked better had they not smoked.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,779 times
I can't speak for every smoker in the world, but I can usually tell by looking at a person's skin if they're a smoker or not. They don't necessarily see what it has done, but a lot of people can tell.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:01 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
I am 42...I have now wrinkles. BUT it is the collagen break down in skin which gravity is trying to steal! In a Radiohead song they nailed it "gravity always wins". I guess I will go get botox and juvederm someday...just not quite yet!

Old 11-03-2014, 09:18 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Pulcino Pio View Post
I thought that when I was your age but there were already signs of aging I just didn't notice. I think we all think we are never gonna age and that we are magically gonna look 25 forever. Wrinkles are not the only thing that give away your age and sometimes they are already there but we don't want to see them. The mirror lies.

Stop trying to defy age. It's a futile battle. You will get old, you will get wrinkles, your skin will sag and deteriorate and your eyes will show your true age. The eyes don't lie. You look 30 and you will look 40 when that time arrives weather you have some specific wrinkles or not

If you spend too much energy trying to avoid the inevitable, you will either get bitter or ruin your face with unnecessary obsessive compulsive surgery. Always try to look good for your age, never try to look younger because that is impossible

I guarantee you, you won't look younger than 40 when you get there. The sooner you accept that the better.
Ever heard of Pharell Williams? He's 41 and still looks like he's still in his mid to late 20s.

I appreciate the message your post is trying to project, to just embrace your age which is what many need to do. Might save us a few wrinkles

Old 11-04-2014, 10:04 AM

67 posts, read 58,858 times
Since I am a smoker I started getting wrinkles on my smile lines at 37 and that is first time I got fillers and botox and now I am 41 an every year I get fillers once a year and botox twice a year and then chemical peel and hydrafacial once or twice a year and at 41 I can easily pass for 32 or so. Of course it helps that I am south asian an light olive skin color so we dont age as easier I think the reasons I got lines that early at 37 was cause I am a smoker but I nipped those lines as soon as they start coming in Oh I get free fillers/botox an huge discounts on facials cause I do practice management for a cosmetic surgery/plastic surgery practice, one of the perks

Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Im 31 and still no sign of any wrinkles, not even surrounding the eyes (know people my age that have them) or in the forehead (some people my age also have them). At what age do i have to expect first winkles to appear and what was your experience with this?
Can i coast through the 30s without any wrinkle?
If you don't smoke, get plenty of sleep routinely, avoid sun exposure and rarely drink, you can get through the 30's and even the 40's without wrinkles.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Sun, wind, diet, hydration, age, race all factors.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:08 AM

732 posts, read 968,830 times
My skin got very dry and I noticed thick wrinkles on the backs of my wrists when I reached somewhere around 25. By a couple of years after I stopped using drugs, drinking, smoking & junk food and turned to healthy food choices & exercise, my skin improved, the tracks faded, and the wrinkles vanished. I'm not sure if my body could have recovered from such abuse if I were to abuse my body at my current age (44).

I don't currently have any wrinkles other than at the places I've had wrinkles since my youth (at my joints). My face doesn't have any wrinkles, except maybe some where my eyelids fold but I can't see if there are. No crows feet or anything like that (yet).

I always have avoided stressful situations as much as possible (example: I quit some jobs without giving required previous weeks of notice when they got to be too stressful for me), and I think it has protected me the most from getting wrinkles considering there are some studies that show stress can dramatically prematurely age people.

Last edited by 3rdGen SFan; 11-05-2014 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty