Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,380,789 times

Advertisements

We don't even own an iron. My mother only ironed our church clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,283,209 times
ACK!!! Are irons a thing of the past!? Be still my pounding heart!

I have TWO irons.... because I quilt. Sewers, quilters and crafters all use irons..... and most clothing you get away with not ironing.

My husband wore dress shirts to work and I would dry them in a hot dryer for 10 minutes, take one out damp, snap it like a towel and hang up to dry wrinkle free. Then go into the dryer for another.

While they weren't perfect, my husband is one of those people that puts something on and it wrinkles up in minutes -- so perfection was a waste of time.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
As little as possible. If something needs ironing after washing, it hangs in the closet for a very long time before the iron actually touches it.
LOL! This is me too.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM

513 posts, read 738,119 times
Default Yes, I have clothes that need ironing--

Some are 100% cotton and need to be sprinkled and ironed. Some, especially blouses, that I just go over the collars and cuffs. I press over my scrubs, especially the lab coat. As stated earlier, my daughter sews and has an ironing board and iron ready at all times--really needed for sewing--making the seams flat and neat. I've seen some men and women in those cargo pants that look like they just rolled out of bed . If that makes me a 50's housewife, so be it! (I will look into the Downy wrinkle release product, though!)

Old 01-03-2013, 12:12 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,135,086 times
I own an iron, but I couldn't tell you where it is or the last time that it was actually used. My parents kind of forced it upon me, as they iron every single garment prior to wearing it. Thus far, they are the only people that I know who actually utilize an iron.

Like others, I am a "hang up item after drying and wear" person.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,169,659 times
All my clothes that require ironing are ironed.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM

763 posts, read 2,606,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I am curious if you all iron your clothing? I am a guy, and I have yet to iron anything, even my khakis and polos. I just take things out of the dryer and fold them until I wear them. I hang all my shirts/tshirts, so they don't get too wrinkled. I feel sort of guilty. Should I go buy an iron?
I own an iron, but try to make sure I wear clothes that I have to iron as little as possible. I do have blouses, etc., that do not have that magical "wrinkle release out of the dryer" ability and I have to press them out. I remember my Mom ironed my Dad's shirts and she'd iron pillowcases and sheets.....

Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,378,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I make a point not to buy clothing that requires ironing, if at all possible. I very, very, very rarely iron.
Exactly-if it requires ironing, I won't buy the item in first place-it would be too "high-maintenance" for my lifestyle. Don't own an iron nor would I be willing to use one-I hang/fold clothes after laundering, nothing further.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:44 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,433,569 times
I have always ironed and I'm not a 50's housewife. I iron my husbands work shirts, press his pants the same with my work pants, also jeans t's and blouses. I can't stand the look of people with pants that have dryer creases in them to me it speaks reams about self worth/pride (I feel the same about people who wear pyjamas to the store) and yes I can tell if a shirt has been ironed or simply hung up after drying. I also hang my clothes out to dry on a line, guess I'm just old fashioned but its the way I was bought up.
And before anyone starts with the don't have time because of their busy lifestyles, I've had 5 children who were bought up mostly by myself due to my now ex being in the British submarine service and being away more than he was home, I've worked almost continuously for the last 30 years and even took myself to college and earned a degree, so lack of time is no excuse.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,843,573 times
I iron my clothes, I do not use a dryer but even if I did, the clothes still look messy in my opinion. It takes just a couple of minutes to iron, it is not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty