Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,850,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
The reason they have become popular over the last few years should be obvious. Men that are thinning and balding look better with a fully shaved head, (such as myself). Instead of trying desperatley to make what ever hair the man has left look like more, which it never will, it is easier to just shave it off.

Now that there are millions of shaved headed men around and the public is used to looking at it, it is just like having another type of hairstyle, (minus the hair).

And again, I'll say that I don't see the appeal. I'd rather see a man keep what he has (without combing-over or anything like that) than shave it all off, and much prefer to have SOMEthing to run my fingers through, as opposed to just sliding them across a shiny skull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
It is not like back in the 60's when the only 2 men that I know of that had shaved heads was "Telly Savalas" and "Mr. Clean"...it was unusual to see men back then with shaved heads.

Fortuneteley now it is so common place to see this look, any stigmitism that was associated with a shaved head in a deraguatory way, has been long forgotten about.

I didn't say anything deragatory about shaved heads, nor did I imply there's any stigma associated with them -- I just don't think they're attractive. (And, yeah, I grew up watching Kojak and Yul Brynner in "The King and I" ... )

Dunno -- maybe it's because my father was mostly bald by the time I was a teenager, and that's just what I'm used to seeing.

Different strokes, and all that .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 PM

69 posts, read 136,869 times
If you can see the pictures, this is what I mean by high forehead...
Attached Thumbnails
Shave head?-dpp_0404.jpg   Shave head?-dpp_0405huyi.jpg  

Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
^ go for it, and definitely try some facial hair too.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 PM

414 posts, read 1,097,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floomer99 View Post
Like I said, I've been thinking of taking the plunge. I have a relatively big forehead, so if the barber messes up my hair line(like he did recently), I'll end up looking like I'm going bald. Money is tight and I can't afford to get a hair cut every two to four weeks, so shaving it at that frequency makes some sense. What do you think?
I started doing it when finances got tight and I couldn't afford the time/money for haircuts every several weeks. For the price of one haircut, I picked up an electric hair clipper and started shaving my head. Liked the look enough that I've kept it for four years, and that same cheap set of clippers still works just as well as it did on day one.

The electric razor takes the hair down enough that I usually only do it once a week, and it keeps my look consistent.

If you want to go right down to the scalp with a safety razor, that's actually faster than the electric, and leaves your head perfectly smooth, so you can feel if you've missed a spot. The problem with that is it can be noticeable that you've "skipped" shaving it for more than a day or two. Depending on your hair's growth rate, color and your skin tone, growth may not affect everyone the same way. As someone of African descent, your skin tone may be dark enough to make few days growth after a razor shave unnoticeable (same would go for someone with light hair and light skin).

IMO a shaved head is a great look, and if anything helps me keep a consistent, clean look about myself. Certainly better than forgetting or not being able to afford getting my hair cut and letting it get scraggly. If I start to bald, I won't have a sudden change to my look either, and most people probably won't even notice.

I think you're good to go, as long as your head doesn't have any unusual bumps or contours. Even scars don't matter. One of my buddies started shaving his head when he started balding in his early twenties, and he was really self-conscious at first. He has a good sized scar from his brother ("accidentally") slamming his head in a van door when they were kids. Now when someone asks about the scar it just turns into a whatever story he chooses make up about it on the spot. :P

Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 PM

No unsightly scars, just don't like it when my hair grows to long with my big forehead. I'll end up looking like darkseid. I usually cover it up with a hat.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 AM

414 posts, read 1,097,069 times
Quote:
I'll end up looking like darkseid.
That literally made me laugh out loud. I think you're good to go on shaving. No need to look like him.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 AM

Yeah, I'll probably try it out.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:11 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,725,695 times
Quote:
If you can see the pictures, this is what I mean by high forehead...

I don't think its too high. It just looks like an ancient Egyptian type forehead. I see it more so in people living in africa than americans. But I think it would look really good shaved too. I would buzz it as short as you can go just to make sure your scalp isn't lighter. Your hair looks pretty thick in the pics like it may of kept some sun off your scalp that hit your face.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 PM

Yeah, those pics were taken after a few weeks of hair growth. Given the shape of my head, I just don't like the way it grows. Usually, I have the barber cut the hair as low as possible--without actually being bald. I don't like having to comb and style my hair every morning. It is a combination of both laziness and streamlining...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty