Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
My goal is to get a Rolex Sub, no date, and pre extra text and wear it either with a NATO strap or the bracelet, depending what it comes with. It was good for James Bond, right?

For now I will just stick to my Swiss Army with a olive green NATO.

I inherited my grandfathers TT air king and I have been in love with Rolex ever since. I don't wear it often though, because it from the early 1980s and had the raised crystal face. That damn thing hits everything you walk by. It had a TT bracelet but I have been wearing it with a leather strap, I feel it looks more formal.

Extra points if the watch strap, belt, and shoes match!
Rolex Subs can be had for a decent price on the used market particularly the no-date models. Actually Rolex just announced the NEWEST version of the no-date Sub which will have a ceramic bezel so I'm guessing authorized dealers will get heavier discounts to the current no-date in order to make room for the ceramic no-date. I believe the current list price for a no-date is $6300 and with this announcement, I'd walk into a dealer and offer $5500 cash money and see if they bite or counter back. I love my Sub.

Quote:
How is a Rolex or Panerai more "obnoxious" than your Speedie or a Hublot/Zenith/BP? I get the "BreitBling" annoyance a bit, but there are some Breits that I love - usually the more subdued models, however.
I own a Breitling and the only problem I have is that almost all Breitling models seem to have such a "busy" face. There's a lot going on and it can detract from the look so I rarely wear it but neat watch nonetheless. I think an Omega Speedmaster may be the next watch I add to my collection, definitely an iconic watch and a bargain in the high-end watch world.

Quote:
I agree. Watches are fashion accessories as well as tools, for both men and women. I've always worn higher end mechanical watches in the office (or pretty much anywhere else). They're useful, but they are mostly for appearance, and for status especially when you're in the upper ranks. I always notice when men aren't wearing a watch. It seems pretty common for young guys not to wear one at all.

I never leave the house without a watch, usually my GMT Master, which is really useful when I change time zones (which is often). I wear one in the pool, in the ocean, shooting, sailing, mountain biking, everywhere. They show the wear, but I'm OK with that because I like wearing them. I feel naked without one.
Another Arizonan. Definitely like the GMT Master, is it a SS model? I've also thought about one but it wears about the same as a Sub even though it's used for a completely different purpose. Also an iconic watch and a great choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 AM

27,340 posts, read 27,393,359 times
I dont consider mine as an accessory, though for some it might be, mine os more of a necessity. But we're not allowed to wear them, or any jewelery at all, on the job.
I have several watches, just need to replace batteries in some of them.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,655 times
I love watches and they complete any outfit. I think a good quality watch looks great on men and woman. I have a Hermes and would love to have the Chanel J12.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I do not use a cellular telephone so my watch is useful when away from the vehicle or house and work. Do not consider it an accessory at all. I earned my Rolex Submariner many years ago and probably will never upgrade to another. It has served as a conversation piece among people interested in owning one.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 PM

Hmmmm, I may have already answered this one but my idea of a watch is a necessity, not an accessory. I cant wear mine during work (we cant wear any jewelery) so without it, Im lost.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
My goal is to get a Rolex Sub, no date, and pre extra text and wear it either with a NATO strap or the bracelet, depending what it comes with. It was good for James Bond, right?

For now I will just stick to my Swiss Army with a olive green NATO.

I inherited my grandfathers TT air king and I have been in love with Rolex ever since. I don't wear it often though, because it from the early 1980s and had the raised crystal face. That damn thing hits everything you walk by. It had a TT bracelet but I have been wearing it with a leather strap, I feel it looks more formal.

Extra points if the watch strap, belt, and shoes match!

Thats my type of watch! Analog, made of steel not cheap plastic parts, simple. No digital crap, no plastic parts. I dont/wont own a Rolex but you can get those really good watches at an Army surplus store.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:50 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I do not use a cellular telephone so my watch is useful when away from the vehicle or house and work. Do not consider it an accessory at all. I earned my Rolex Submariner many years ago and probably will never upgrade to another. It has served as a conversation piece among people interested in owning one.
Love my Sub, wonderful watch to both dress up and dress down with. I'm thinking I should get it serviced this year, do you service yours every 5 years or not?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
I have a gold/silver Citizen watch and always wear it. Couldn't leave my house without it!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:18 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Love my Sub, wonderful watch to both dress up and dress down with. I'm thinking I should get it serviced this year, do you service yours every 5 years or not?

Speedy, I typically don't service my watches until they start keeping time poorly. No reason you shouldn't get 7-10 years (or more) between services on your Rollie. Especially with the newer oils they use now.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Once in 17 years of ownership. I do not wear it to the beach, boating, etc. or in other corrossive environments.

Air King I owned was only serviced once in 22 years of ownership!

Last edited by Felix C; 03-24-2012 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty