Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:02 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times

Advertisements

If watches are a fading custom I'll gladly hang on to that custom since those who have no appreciation for nice timepieces are the same ones who treasure our throw away society of replacing gadgets every year (phone, ipod, laptop etc) for something faster and "better". They're more at home with a Kindle than an actual book, a new Toyota Prius vs. a classic car, texting rather than actually talking, etc.

This is all good, because if everyone was the same the world would be a boring place and I'd have no one to laugh at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times
I'm 19 and I wear watches. I have a Rolex and a leather watch from the 1950s.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:55 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I'm 19 and I wear watches. I have a Rolex and a leather watch from the 1950s.
A 19 year old doesn't need a Rolex, how exactly do you acquire a Rolex at that age? A watch of that magnitude should be a sign of accomplishment and success...you aren't even in college yet.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
A 19 year old doesn't need a Rolex, how exactly do you acquire a Rolex at that age? A watch of that magnitude should be a sign of accomplishment and success...you aren't even in college yet.
This is kind of personal.

My uncle got it for me last year as a graduation gift when I graduated high school. But why is it any of your business anyway?

Who are you to say "a 19 year doesn't need a Rolex" anyway? It's a nice watch and I take care of it.

Is this a problem to you?

Please tell. It's imperative.

Last edited by 90sman; 03-01-2012 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
This is kind of personal.

My uncle got it for me last year as a graduation gift when I graduated high school. But why is it any of your business anyway?

Who are you to say "a 19 year doesn't need a Rolex" anyway? It's a nice watch and I take care of it.

Is this a problem to you?

Please tell. It's imperative.
I guess I was raised to work for what I have and not expect it to be given to me. When I received my first big promotion, I bought myself a Rolex Sub as a sign of my accomplishment. I bought my second after climbing the next step up the corporate latter.

Being GIVEN something at that age without truly earning it is...well in my book, not respectable. I'm glad your uncle can give you a nice watch but I question his judgement as to why he believes a 19 year old kid entering colleges needs to wear something of that type of value around...sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

I guess our society breeds a certain type of entitlement mentality among teenagers nowadays, I'm not even sure who is to blame anymore whether it be the parents, the government, or the school systems. I guess I remember getting up at 5 a.m. to do chores on our farm with dad before I even went to school, nowadays teenagers are getting luxury watches/cars/what have you. I guess working for what you have is out of style today.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I guess I was raised to work for what I have and not expect it to be given to me. When I received my first big promotion, I bought myself a Rolex Sub as a sign of my accomplishment. I bought my second after climbing the next step up the corporate latter.

Being GIVEN something at that age without truly earning it is...well in my book, not respectable. I'm glad your uncle can give you a nice watch but I question his judgement as to why he believes a 19 year old kid entering colleges needs to wear something of that type of value around...sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

I guess our society breeds a certain type of entitlement mentality among teenagers nowadays, I'm not even sure who is to blame anymore whether it be the parents, the government, or the school systems. I guess I remember getting up at 5 a.m. to do chores on our farm with dad before I even went to school, nowadays teenagers are getting luxury watches/cars/what have you. I guess working for what you have is out of style today.
I don't know you and you sure as heck don't know me. I don't appreciate you judging my family and I from a single post. What we do is none of your business.

But how do you know I don't work for what I have? I got a Rolex from my uncle but that doesn't mean I feel entitled or that I'm given everything. Because I do work and I pay for my clothes, groceries, phone, etc. I also help pay for the electric and water at my house and some other things. I'm also saving up money for my future (house, retirement, emergencies etc)

Last edited by 90sman; 03-01-2012 at 10:32 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
If you want to get down to brass tacks, you shouldn't wear ANY watch with formal attire. I know James Bond did it, but that doesn't make it right.
Thank you. I was waiting for someone to say that.

A visible watch with formal attire is not proper etiquette. You aren't supposed to look as if you're watching the time in a social setting. Wristwatches convey a businesslike attention to time. Gentlemen used to wear pocket watches for formal occasions, so they could check the time without being obvious.

Miss Manners wrote about this ages ago. She said that so called "dress watches" (especially those with diamonds), actually have no purpose because watches are not worn with formal clothes.

Of course, she also said that aside from engagement and wedding rings, diamonds are not properly worn in the daytime, but it's pretty obvious that standard has been long forgotten.

BTW, what a pissing contest this thread is.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 03-01-2012 at 11:13 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Speedy, you're a bit out of line, IMO.

A gift like that for HS graduation is a bit apart from the norm, sure, but certainly far from unheard of.

Enjoy that watch, 90sman! I'm sure every time you look at it you think of that uncle.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
SpeedyAZ - Cmon, you are just grasping for straws. In no way did i read that he felt "entitled" to a rolex and demanded one. To assume there is "trouble waiting to happen" because he has a rolex, and to assume that he never has worked for what he has is very narrow minded and takes a very condescending tone. We're not all "The Waltons" here.

90sman - What kind of Rolex?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:26 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
I purchased an early sixties men's Rolex Air King a couple of years ago.
I paid 2200.00 for it from a authorized Rolex dealer.
It was serviced so I wasn't worried.
It's highly understated.
It's silver with a very plain face.
If you saw it on my wrist you wouldn't know it was a Rolex and I like it like that.

It's heavy and precision built.

I love it. I wear it daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty