Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I don't know you and you sure as heck don't know me. I don't appreciate you judging my family and I from a single post. What we do is none of your business.

But how do you know I don't work for what I have? I got a Rolex from my uncle but that doesn't mean I feel entitled or that I'm given everything. Because I do work and I pay for my clothes, groceries, phone, etc. I also help pay for the electric and water at my house and some other things. I'm also saving up money for my future (house, retirement, emergencies etc)
When you post anything on an internet forum, you're leaving yourself open to be judged. If you can't handle that, you have no business on a forum to begin with.

Quote:
Speedy, you're a bit out of line, IMO.

A gift like that for HS graduation is a bit apart from the norm, sure, but certainly far from unheard of.

Enjoy that watch, 90sman! I'm sure every time you look at it you think of that uncle.
It's not unheard of and I realize that. I live in a community full of these teenagers with an entitlement mentality who buy expensive cars, clothes, watches, etc on daddy's dime. It absolutely disgusts me because these kids aren't learning one thing about appreciating what they have or knowing what it's like to work for it. But usually mom and dad are both working long hours, don't spend time with the kids, and feel that by purchasing them a Rolex/BMW/whatever that it can fill the void.

I'm not trying to direct this entirely at 90sguy but when some 19 year old comments on a forum that he was given a Rolex...just gets my blood boiling a bit. I guess I grew up on a farm, got up at 5:00 a.m. to do chores before we went off to school. I think more kids need to know what HARD work is versus getting everything handed to them on a silver platter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Thank you. I was waiting for someone to say that.

A visible watch with formal attire is not proper etiquette. You aren't supposed to look as if you're watching the time in a social setting. Wristwatches convey a businesslike attention to time. Gentlemen used to wear pocket watches for formal occasions, so they could check the time without being obvious.

Miss Manners wrote about this ages ago. She said that so called "dress watches" (especially those with diamonds), actually have no purpose because watches are not worn with formal clothes.

Of course, she also said that aside from engagement and wedding rings, diamonds are not properly worn in the daytime, but it's pretty obvious that standard has been long forgotten.

BTW, what a pissing contest this thread is.
I still digress, I feel a dress watch goes along fine with a tux. Usually I attend formal events as few times as possible and when I do, I'll always have a watch on. I went a few times with my ex-girlfriend and was always pointing at my watch trying to get her to leave.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
I'm 19 and I wear watches. I have a Rolex and a leather watch from the 1950s.
I'm happy for you and it's good to see someone from a younger generation who appreciates a nice watch.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I still digress, I feel a dress watch goes along fine with a tux. Usually I attend formal events as few times as possible and when I do, I'll always have a watch on. I went a few times with my ex-girlfriend and was always pointing at my watch trying to get her to leave.
And, that's the main reason why a watch is not part of a black or white tie required ensemble, as one should not be preoccupied with the time; nor should one leave early, save for a genuine emergency. Granted, many people do wear watches with black tie, but it can be interpreted as a breach of etiquette in certain circles, especially if the watch is viewed in public, or other means of calling attention to the time, since one is implying that they are bored or their time is more important than the host's/hostess' plan for the evening. It also depends upon the venue and type of evening, since if it is a cast of thousands type of event, that's not as significant as if one were to wear and look at a watch at an event at another's house. The watch is not as big a breach as the cell phone in such a setting, but is not truly formal.

One of my siblings wore a watch with black tie once, as a teenager, and I think that the disapproving click of the tongue followed by a look that could slice one in two for a breach of manners, by one of our grandmother's, cured that habit quickly.

Quote:
My uncle got it for me last year as a graduation gift when I graduated high school.
Very cool. One of the great things about a Rolex is that it can last a lifetime. That's a very nice way to commemorate your graduation.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
I still digress, I feel a dress watch goes along fine with a tux. Usually I attend formal events as few times as possible and when I do, I'll always have a watch on.

I went a few times with my ex-girlfriend and was always pointing at my watch trying to get her to leave
Great. Then you broke two rules of etiquette instead of one, and unwittingly illustrated why the rule is there in the first place.

It's no skin off my nose, but anyone with a good grasp of proper etiquette who observed your behavior would have written you off as uncultivated and rude. That won't help you in the circles you frequent unless they are also oblivious to the rules of formal dress.

We aren't talking about what you "feel" is right; we're only letting you know what the established rules of etiquette say. You can choose to ignore the rules, but for someone who has such strong ideas on proper dress for a man, it's kind of funny that you dismiss this.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:07 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
When you post anything on an internet forum, you're leaving yourself open to be judged. If you can't handle that, you have no business on a forum to begin with.
I'm pretty sure the forum rules specify that no personal attacks are allowed.

First you judged a man's life you knew nothing about, then you attacked him for the imaginary crimes you pinned on him.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:24 PM

500 posts, read 748,303 times
Quote:

It's not unheard of and I realize that. I live in a community full of these teenagers with an entitlement mentality who buy expensive cars, clothes, watches, etc on daddy's dime. It absolutely disgusts me because these kids aren't learning one thing about appreciating what they have or knowing what it's like to work for it. But usually mom and dad are both working long hours, don't spend time with the kids, and feel that by purchasing them a Rolex/BMW/whatever that it can fill the void.

I'm not trying to direct this entirely at 90sguy but when some 19 year old comments on a forum that he was given a Rolex...just gets my blood boiling a bit. I guess I grew up on a farm, got up at 5:00 a.m. to do chores before we went off to school. I think more kids need to know what HARD work is versus getting everything handed to them on a silver platter.
Speedy, my mother was given a gold watch and a new car for graduation. In fact, her family even had their own gas pump on their property (small Pennsylvania town). She never had a sense of entitlement nor did she raise us with one. My point is, just owning a luxury item does not make someone entitled. It's all in the values imparted in your upbringing. And by the way, there are plenty of people who grow up without means, or values, and they are certainly capable of 'entitlement' behavior.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 PM

42 posts, read 46,778 times
I wear it when i am going outside but, at home i don't wear it.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Great. Then you broke two rules of etiquette instead of one, and unwittingly illustrated why the rule is there in the first place.

It's no skin off my nose, but anyone with a good grasp of proper etiquette who observed your behavior would have written you off as uncultivated and rude. That won't help you in the circles you frequent unless they are also oblivious to the rules of formal dress.

We aren't talking about what you "feel" is right; we're only letting you know what the established rules of etiquette say. You can choose to ignore the rules, but for someone who has such strong ideas on proper dress for a man, it's kind of funny that you dismiss this.
When I attended these type of events, I notice roughly half to the males in the room to also be wearing some type of watch. Usually the black tie events I feel compelled to attend are work-related and if your CEO/COO are wearing watches as well, I doubt it's an observed "rule".

Certain etiquette is necessary when attending formal events but I've never subscribed to that one shouldn't wear a watch. They do make DRESS watches, what exactly are you supposed to wear those with?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the forum rules specify that no personal attacks are allowed.

First you judged a man's life you knew nothing about, then you attacked him for the imaginary crimes you pinned on him.

How did I attack him?! If you think by me stating that he "has no business on an Internet forum if he cannot handle being judged" , you must be the THINNEST skinned person I know to construe that as an attack. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty