Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,979,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
I saw a few remarks about Urban Decay and wanted to ask opinions on their Naked & Naked 2 palettes. (I ask because my company is doing a promotional giveaway and I want to be sure we made the right choice of them vs MAC.)
I would say you run a greater risk of disappointment with Urban Decay. I know lots of people who have the Naked palettes and they all agree they are overrated which is why I didn't buy it. With MAC everyone who is really into makeup knows what to expect from the brand which is why it has such a large following. MAC eyeshadows are better than Urban Decay for the price point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,086,475 times
Quote:
I saw a few remarks about Urban Decay and wanted to ask opinions on their Naked & Naked 2 palettes. (I ask because my company is doing a promotional giveaway and I want to be sure we made the right choice of them vs MAC.)
I think the UDNP are a little overrated; the colors tend to "mud" together, have fallout, and contain quite a bit of shimmer (probably only really appealing to the under-25 crowd).

MAC eyeshadows are phenomenal, with the exception of the velux finishes (kinda tacky and cheap looking, very frosty). Their matte and satin finishes are supreme, though.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:46 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,409,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I think the UDNP are a little overrated; the colors tend to "mud" together, have fallout, and contain quite a bit of shimmer (probably only really appealing to the under-25 crowd).

MAC eyeshadows are phenomenal, with the exception of the velux finishes (kinda tacky and cheap looking, very frosty). Their matte and satin finishes are supreme, though.
I have to agree with annika. The UD palettes aren't worth the sellout hype they've reached.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,211,585 times
Quote:
I agree. I don't use eye shadows much, but I've noticed Urban Decay's are very shimmery.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,632,832 times
Quote:
These are just my opinion of course, I realize there are many who will love these products.

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara

Stila Eyeshadows (especially in Kitten)

Pantene
I agree with you about these (the others, I haven't tried) Great Lash SUCKS!!!!! I do however like their XXXL mascara with the white building stuff you put on first, then the mascara. BIG big lashes.

Stila Kitten is great if you use it as an AFTER and lightly brush it on, like powder it on with a big brush to soften the rest of your eyeshadow, and I love their eyeliners, but the rest, bah!

Pantene is the single worse thing for long hair! BLECH, it caused split ends and damage in my hair, and it is not allowed in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
I'm looking to find the absolute best eye cream as I am beginning to have lines around my eyes. Any suggestions?

Also, what do you guys think is the best face wash and moisturizer?
I use a mix of Lush and Avon, and they work really well together, IMO. I use Angels on Bare Skin (Lush) daily, and once a week Ocean Salt (Lush) for a deep scrubby cleaning. I also use Eau Roma (Lush) toner spray.

http://www.lushusa.com/Angels-on-Bar...,en_US,pd.html

Ocean Salt - Lush

Eau Roma Water - Lush

I use the Avon Reversalist line for moisturizing. I bought the 2 week "sample kit", and have had it for almost 4 weeks now, and it's right at half full. I use the cleanser for my neck and chest and not my face though. I really like the creams, and they eye stuff is one of the best I have tried!

AVON - Product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Lush UltraBland face cleanser is not that great especially for the price.
See, I think that's weird, cause I love it! I use it as a make-up remover, and it workes really well for that. I used to use baby face for that, by they DQ'd it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I haven't been happy with mascara for a while -- so so clumpy and gross and eyelashes sticking together and I am NOT using a metal torture device to separate my lashes.
I use a straight pin to seperate my lashes. I put on one normal coat, let it dry then "comb" the lashes out with the pin, then add another coat; rinse and repeat. That was a trick my grandmom taught me years ago, and it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Biore pore strips win for "most overrated" product ever! LOL, I've never understood the purpose of this tiny, little strip placed over your nose. You get blackheads every where, not just your nose. I've tried it and does absolutely nothing for my (already stunning) appearance.
I agree Biore is silly, but since you have such an "already stunning appearance", why even try them at all?

Quote:
I like Urban Decay, I like MAC better though, but my fav is Too Faced.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:04 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,979,597 times
I use the Avon Reversalist line for moisturizing. I bought the 2 week "sample kit", and have had it for almost 4 weeks now, and it's right at half full. I use the cleanser for my neck and chest and not my face though. I really like the creams, and they eye stuff is one of the best I have tried!

AVON - Product

See, I think that's weird, cause I love it! I use it as a make-up remover, and it workes really well for that. I used to use baby face for that, by they DQ'd it.[/quote]

I was expecting more of a "cleanser" vs a makeup remover with the Ultra Blend thats why I was disappointed. It did remove makeup but I still had to use a separate cleanser because my face was not clean. I have other cleansers that are natural and cheaper that will remove makeup AND cleanse my face. So thats why I think its overrated, now if it were cheaper then I would feel differently. Also the quality of Lush products as a whole have changed for the worse since coming to the US.

What has the Avon eye cream done to improve your eyes? Bags, puffiness, wrinkles, lines,...?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
Anything from the department stores. They do comparisons and most of the products from the department stores are virtually the same what you buy at your local drug store for 1/3 the price.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,283,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I use a straight pin to seperate my lashes. I put on one normal coat, let it dry then "comb" the lashes out with the pin, then add another coat; rinse and repeat. That was a trick my grandmom taught me years ago, and it works well.
Actually -- I've seen women do that... but a straight pin near my eyes gives me the heebie-jeebies. I live in earthquake country, have multiple cats and am easy startled.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,632,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Also the quality of Lush products as a whole have changed for the worse since coming to the US.

What has the Avon eye cream done to improve your eyes? Bags, puffiness, wrinkles, lines,...?
I can't argue the quality is worse here, cause your are right. That's why I order from the UK, not to mention it's usually cheaper.

Well the eye part is a two part, a cream moisturizer and then the "veil".

The moisturizer has helped to soften the area a bit, so the crow's feet aren't as pronounced; and the veil is meant to reduce the dark circles under your eyes. It is working a bit, but I forget to use it daily. (sometimes I just don't wanna bother ya know?) I'm sure if I used it as directed I would have better results, lol.

Quote:
Actually -- I've seen women do that... but a straight pin near my eyes gives me the heebie-jeebies. I live in earthquake country, have multiple cats and am easy startled.
I understand! I have had crazy kittys before, although we didn't have to worry about earthquakes till the past decade or so, since then we've had three.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,720,641 times
Quote:
~Knocks pins out your hand~
~passes you a mascara comb~

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty