Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,979,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
I enjoyed reading all your posts in this thread and I learned so much (especially about VS and returns-yuck!).

Can you tell me is there a way to ask for samples? Everytime I try, even if I've made some significant purchases, it seems the salespeople are so stingy with giving any to me. Any hints would be appreciated.

As for what is overrated, I think BareEscentuals Bare Minerals has to be number one in my book. I was pushed into buying several products from the line and all of them gave me a painful red rash that lasted for days. I can't even walk by their store or watch an infomercial of theirs without feeling that pain!
Sure! When you approach the beauty counter, tell the associate you are looking for a good face moisturizer, eye cream, etc. The associate should then begin telling you what products she can offer and be sure to be able to clearly describe your skin type and the results you are looking for in the products. She may want to test it on you right there, if so let her and tell her your honest thoughts/feelings about the products. This is why I said you should make sure you have plenty of free time because you don't want to be pressed for time while on your skin care search.

If you like the products, tell her you are interested however you would like samples to make sure you don't have a reaction to the products and to make sure they will provide what you're looking for. Ask for their card and if there are any events coming up that might be of interest to you. This way he/she knows you are seriously interested and will return to them to buy if you so choose. As a customer you have the right to get samples so don't let anyone discourage you from doing so.

Last edited by Shysister; 02-05-2012 at 04:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 06:35 PM

541 posts, read 861,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
If you like the products, tell her you are interested however you would like samples to make sure you don't have a reaction to the products and to make sure they will provide what you're looking for. Ask for their card and if there are any events coming up that might be of interest to you. This way he/she knows you are seriously interested and will return to them to buy if you so choose. As a customer you have the right to get samples so don't let anyone discourage you from doing so.
I think that asking for their card is really important and I forget to do that, although I have every intention of going back to the person that helped me. I also don't ask about upcoming events so I'll try that as well.

I agree that as a customer I should have the right to get samples (especially with my temperamental skin!) but I am met with some resistance and apathy. Hopefully with this new info I can finally get what I need. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2012, 06:40 PM

69 posts, read 186,282 times
I agree with the mineral makeup thing. Everyone tries to tell me that it's awesome if you get the right brand but it does NOT stay on the face. I also, agree with Maybelline Great Lash. I like Rimmel mascara and some of the CoverGirl LashBlast mascara's...nothing else I've tried actually works. I also agree with VS. They try to get everyone into their size bras and that just doesn't work.
I think Venus razors are overrated. I prefer Bic over any other kind, they work amazingly. My friend buys things based on price, not quality, and Venus feels cheap.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 PM

253 posts, read 558,449 times
Clinique mascara is terrible, it doesn't dry and makes a big mess.

The Kat Von D eye shadow palettes from over a year ago, horrible! They don't blend well and have tonnes of fallout.

The naked palettes, way way over hyped, they are OK palettes, nothing to freak out over.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 AM

228 posts, read 422,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Bare Minerals, and really any other mineral powder foundation makeup.
Agreed! I didn't know I really had any fine lines until I wore that stuff. I have oily skin as well, but I have never had a product melt down my face before like Bare Minerals.

I have problems with acne (especially cystic acne), and my dermatologist told me to avoid all Clinique products. She said she sees the worst breakouts from that line.

I hate MAC's liquid liner. It is so goopy and the brush is so stiff that I can't get a smooth line. When I finally get it on, I have to use major chemical makeup removers to get it off later. Really?! I would get my eyeliner tattooed on if I wanted that kind of staying power. Yuck.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,058,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riotsquirrelz View Post
I have problems with acne (especially cystic acne), and my dermatologist told me to avoid all Clinique products. She said she sees the worst breakouts from that line.
My dermatologist said the same thing. He also said to not use toner at all, ever - which surprised me. He said it's actually very bad for the skin and can make it more oily and cause more problems. He recommends simply washing with Cetaphil once in the morning and once at night, and using a good moisturizer. That's it.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,086,475 times
That's funny, I get cystic acne time to time and Clinique is one of the only lines that doesn't aggravate it. I agree that it's all about being gentle on the skin, and for me hydration is a definate must also. Shows how skin care really is individualized.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,979,597 times
Toner is ok to use as long as its alcohol free and its especially necessary for those who use foundation. My makeup face would not look as good if I didn't use a toner. The toner makes my moisturizer last all day which increases the longevity of my foundation and makes it last all day without having too reapply.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:19 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,821,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Toner is ok to use as long as its alcohol free and its especially necessary for those who use foundation. My makeup face would not look as good if I didn't use a toner. The toner makes my moisturizer last all day which increases the longevity of my foundation and makes it last all day without having too reapply.
I prefer to use Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, which is nice and mild like Cetaphil, but actually does a better job of washing off my makeup. I follow that up with Neutrogena Toner without alcohol, which gets whatever is left and makes my skin feel really fresh and clean. Then I start with the other products and foundation. I'm 63 years old and still get compliments on my facial skin.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:33 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,283,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I prefer to use Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, which is nice and mild like Cetaphil, but actually does a better job of washing off my makeup. I follow that up with Neutrogena Toner without alcohol, which gets whatever is left and makes my skin feel really fresh and clean. Then I start with the other products and foundation. I'm 63 years old and still get compliments on my facial skin.
I'm using MD Formulations spray -- I don't use cotton to swab my face -- to rough for my rosacea -- but I've tried to not use a toner (and yes -- no alcohol or witch hazel) and when I do that it feels like the moisturizer sits on my face and my face still feels dry.

Toner seems to allow the moisturizer to soak in to my face. The reason I went with the MD formualtions spray, is it has antioxidents and my favorite facial moisturizer (CeraVe) doesn't.

I wish I could use the Skinceuticals C+E Ferrulic..... but on my skin, it smells like rusting metal, and it gets stronger through the day. But damn -- THAT stuff worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty