Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times

Advertisements

Anybody use homemade beauty products?

It can be as simple as breaking off a piece of aloe vera and smoldering it onyour face to an intricate concoction of your favorite exfoliate.

I'm just tired of spending hundreds of dollars on beauty products but still care deeply about having nice skin, hair etc. Anybody have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:59 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
In a pinch...I'll use a small amount of baking soda (on clean skin) mixed to a paste and use it as a 'facial scrub' ...I'll use use it once a week.
**Don't scrub hard with it though, it can cause irritation ...I just apply a light touch with the tips of my fingers in a circular motion...then rinse off with a sponge or wash cloth.**...makes your skin really soft!

I also use baking soda as 'toothpaste' a few times a week mixed with a very small amount of my regular toothpaste.

I've used pure honey and a small amount of condensed milk as a mask...and rinse off.
Or take a cotton ball soaked in coconut milk and gently glide across my face and rinse.

**These things work for me..and are very inexpensive alternatives compared to higher priced specialty items that claim to do the same thing.**

Old 09-26-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
[color="RoyalBlue"][b][i]I also use baking soda as 'toothpaste' a few times a week mixed with a very small amount of my regular toothpaste.
Yeah, I heard about this and I've seen toothpaste "with" baking soda in it ... what's baking soda do for your teeth?
Quote:
I've used pure honey and a small amount of condensed milk as a mask...and rinse off.
What's this do? The only thing I can think of is letting it drip into my mouth ... *yum*!

I have to wait to rep but thanks for the advice!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,470,107 times
I use honey on my skin too. It brightens up my skin and is a mild bleaching agent.
If you find papaya , you need to use it on your skin. Just mash up the inner pulp with your hands , apply and leave for 15 to 20 minutes. It works wonders. Exfoliates, brightens and softens .You can actually see the difference in a few weeks.
Another thing that you can do is crush rose petals in some milk and apply it.Keep it on for sometime before you wash it off. I use rosewater since I find it easier.

Citybtb, baking soda on your skin .. wow, that's new to me . Do you mix it with plain ol' water ? .. Gotta try it sometime

Old 09-26-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Yeah, I heard about this and I've seen toothpaste "with" baking soda in it ... what's baking soda do for your teeth?
It's mildly abrasive, but not so much to the point where it will take the enamel off...IMO, it 'helps' whiten them. I forgot to add that I use peroxide mixed w/ equal parts water as a mouthwash a few times a week as well...*don't swallow it though*...it's good for your gums...I have slightly sensitive teeth and gums and it seems to help with that.
Some of the other mouthwashes on the market I can't tolerate...stings too much!!

Quote:
Quote:
What's this do? The only thing I can think of is letting it drip into my mouth ... *yum*!
Both are very soothing. The milk I found will "calm" down my skin if say it got a little sunburn or wind irritation. I ride a bike a lot and just from the elements I find that after a shower, I'll soak a washcloth in the milk and drape it across my face while laying down, and just relax...so not only does it feel good it softens the skin as well.

The honey helps remove impurities and tightens and tones the skin.
Similar to what a mask does.
Again I'll go back to my theory of just being out and about in the city and dealing with the elements and whatever else is flying around in the air...it's a great soother.

*Apple cider vinegar is also good for sunburned skin*...just don't plan on going anywhere immediately afterwards...or at least till you've showered the vinegar off.

Last edited by citybythebay; 09-26-2007 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Added color!...:D

Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 PM

Wow, ingenious! I'll definitely do the honey/milk bit.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
If you find papaya , you need to use it on your skin. Just mash up the inner pulp with your hands , apply and leave for 15 to 20 minutes. It works wonders. Exfoliates, brightens and softens .You can actually see the difference in a few weeks.
Another thing that you can do is crush rose petals in some milk and apply it.Keep it on for sometime before you wash it off. I use rosewater since I find it easier.
Cool! I'll have to try the papaya..and the rose petals and milk sounds divine!

Quote:
Citybtb, baking soda on your skin .. wow, that's new to me . Do you mix it with plain ol' water ? .. Gotta try it sometime
Yep, just enough water to form a paste...not real thick, not runny either...it will dry with the air but if it's too watered down it may not work as well.

*I just thought of another thing with the baking soda paste...it helps mosquito bites or any kind of insect bite that's not too severe, of course.
It takes the "itch" out.*

Last edited by citybythebay; 09-26-2007 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: color...:D

Old 09-27-2007, 06:17 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Milk contains lactic acid (which will exfoliate skin over time), I'm pretty sure that's what made those historic 'milk baths' so famous. I'd rather use a 'chemical' exfoliator than a physical one (like those gawd-awful ground up kernels you find in alot of facial cleansers- ouch).

Papaya
Pumpkin
Lemon juice

and some other fruits are great for skin exfoliation (and pedicures).

Old 09-27-2007, 06:20 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
I use ground up aspirin for pimples and blemishes (add water to make a paste then apply as a spot treatment). Also, to keep from having permenant post acne marks on your face, use a tiny amount of neosporin on the area- okay its not exactly homemade but- the new skin will look great and it will heal faster.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:05 PM

prettygyrl - I was the one that repped you

Thanks everybody for your responses! I hope I get more. I think it's awesome that everybody has their own little "thing" that they do for maintanence work. heehee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty