Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,507,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I don't get it. A lot of women would kill to live her kind of lifestyle. I know I would be happier living a life of luxury, eating at high end restaurants, limo rides, designer clothes, I love the glitz and glamour.

Beauty can buy happiness,in my opinion. If you are gorgeous you can just find a rich man to take care of you for the rest of your life. That is until you become old and unattractive (your looks fade away)

I feel my best when my hair is done, nails are done, clothes fit and look good, skin glowing, and make up applied.
Wow. As the mother of young woman. This is a pretty disturbing attitude IMO.

Nothing wrong with looking good. But you should look good because it makes you feel good not in order to "just find a rich man to take care of you..." until "...your looks fade away". . If those words came out of my daughter's mouth, I'd be.

And as other posters have said, beauty does NOT need to be expensive.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-02-2011 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: close quote....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 04:18 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,422,270 times
Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag Are Sad, Broke, Regretful - The Famous - omg! on Yahoo

Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,609,360 times
Stuff is just stuff at the end of the day...it's a double edged sword. Material items can be a joy and delight under the right circumstances, but they can also be a drag under the wrong ones. I'm not going to lie and say I don't come down with a case of the "wants" sometimes, but I try to keep it tasteful and under control. It's okay to have or want nice things, but the people who feel they need multiple quantities of nice things like watches or cars or handbags or pairs of designer jean...cmon cmon cmon cmon...gimmie a break pal (or babe), you're proving that you're a self-indulgent wiener more so than a person of high taste and class. At some point people like that always realize they've got more crap than they need or want and really they feel no better off for it, so there's definitely a lesson there.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,638,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
$475? Where the heck do you live to have such dirt cheap rent? It would cost you at least $1800-$2000 for a one bedroom apartment in a so-so area of Los Angeles
Average rent in this area for a 2bd/1ba is between $400-475, on average. I have seen them for as little as $250/mo but it was crappy, and upward of $800/mo for the country club area.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,638,378 times
Quote:
I feel my best when my hair is done, nails are done, clothes fit and look good, skin glowing, and make up applied.
That doesn't have to cost $1K/month though. I spend very little, and look great; and working out and eating properly contributes to the majority of that IMO. The better the food you eat, the better your body will be, fact.

You don't need some $140 bottle of shampoo, some $200 jar face cream, over the top expensive makeup, designer clothes, or an expensive hair cut to feel your best.

Eat healthy, work out, and use proven time tested products that work (ie, coconut oil, neem oil, shea and coco butters, etc...), either buy properly fitting clothing, or have them tailored to fit you, not to mention a mani pedi kit is the intial cost of an average mani, with MANY more uses.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:05 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,083,711 times
Quote:
I don't get it. A lot of women would kill to live her kind of lifestyle. I know I would be happier living a life of luxury, eating at high end restaurants, limo rides, designer clothes, I love the glitz and glamour.

Beauty can buy happiness,in my opinion. If you are gorgeous you can just find a rich man to take care of you for the rest of your life. That is until you become old and unattractive (your looks fade away)

Seriously???

Sure, it's better to have money than not, and we all feel better when we look good. Living in luxury is definitely better than living in a homeless tent in the bushes by the freeway. No dispute.

BUT ... do you really need to find a rich man to take care of you for the rest of your life, or at least until he dumps you when you lose your looks? Really???

Honestly - get an education, work your ass off to provide your own nice lifestyle. The satisfaction you will get from knowing YOU did this for yourself, that YOU did this on your own, on YOUR terms - no rich man to please - is going to make you so much happier. Let's face it, any semi-decent looking broad can sleep with a man and get "stuff". Is that really going to make you feel good about yourself? Is that really going to make you feel like you've "accomplished" something? To be somebody's doormat?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,622,948 times
The happiness that money buys is freedom from worries about being able to make it, and the experiences it can be used for. For any material object, the getting of it brings more happiness than the having of it. However, if money can buy you an expensive sports car and your hobby is racing cars because you love the experience of racing, money can make that happiness happen. If you buy an expensive sports car but spend your time worrying about if you're getting too many miles on it, if it gets dinged in the parking lot, whether you look good in it, etc., that car is not going to make you happy because you're focused on an object, not an experience.

Lots of wonderful experiences dont' have to cost much or any money. Look for those and enrich your life!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,313,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Lifestyles View Post
I am fearful of the dooming economy. I am living as basically as I can until I know for a fact that I will still have a job in the upcoming future. My hours have been cut and business has been slow. I was working 40 hours a week, now I'm only putting in half of that. I have many high-end luxury skin care products that are brand new and sealed. I bought these when I was more certain about my future. I am going to list some of these items in the next few days on eBay. A lot of the items I have retail over $200 and I have a few that have a full retail value of over $500. However, the majority of products I have are samples. I need to do something. I never thought I would cut out my skin care routine, but until tomorrow brings a brighter outlook, I am done with it.

Thank you for those of you who support my decision and have left a positive reply.
If this is your attitude, then you haven't learned ANYTHING.

Give it up ENTIRELY. You are not your expensive outrageous skin care routine. You are some guy who's trying to find his way in the world and using this insane vanity crap as a wall to hide behind so no one can get close.

My opinion? You need to vounteer at a homeless shelter and deal with some harsh reality so you can GROW THE HELL UP.

RETURN the unopened stuff and get your money back, and stop obsessing over your looks and look around. You are NOT in this boat alone, and you certainly aren't the worst hard luck story out there.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,069,858 times
This thread reminds me of that quote... I dunno who said it... something like:

"I had no shoes and complained...
...until I met a man with no feet."

Good gawd there is such exorbitant self-indulgent excess in the world while others suffer so greatly.

Good on you OP for waking up. Perhaps try getting involved in something like Cross Cultural Solutions or something... it'll really open your mind up. Also - if you like to read - check out Naomi Klein. She was once a fashionista, too, and then she, like you, woke up one day.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,840,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Lifestyles View Post
Beauty cannot buy happiness. I am completely beyond miserable. I stopped myself from spending a lot of cash on a product I had been wanting for a few weeks now. I have to be honest with everyone here and myself, until I saw this YouTube video yesterday, I was spending like there's no tomorrow.

‪Countess Luann - Chic, C'est La Vie (Official Video)‬‏ - YouTube

Today I did not spend any money and from here on out I am going to focus more on saving so I can get something I really want; a condo on the beach for $150,000. That's a realistic goal and I can get there by the time I'm 30 if I start saving now.

I do not want to be like the woman in that YouTube video. It's so fake. Here is the comment I left for the video yesterday:

"This song makes me sick and it to me just is promoting a life of "world-class luxury" that maybe 1% of society can afford. Vanity in the younger generation is becoming very popular, and I have to say that music like this is only adding to the problem. This song has no emotional soul to it whatsoever, which seems to be deeming in popularity these days. This is strictly my 2 cents and I am not here to judge."

I certainly do not want to be deemed in a vain way. I am a very good person. I do care about myself and others. It just doesn't feel right to live in this $475 apartment with hundreds of high-end skin care products. I don't know whether I should sell them on eBay or what, but I'm done with them. I I will be happy with a bar of soap, shampoo, deodorant and a toothbrush.

I dispose $1000 dollars a month into beauty. I'm left with just enough to pay rent and buy food. I don't have any friends. I don't know what to say, but I'm tired of it. I am quite frustrated with my life at the time.

But, beauty, clearly cannot buy happiness. And that's all I have been living on and I'm done. There's other things to do and people to meet.

Please offer your thoughts and suggestions.
1. You should be proud of yourself for realizing that physical perfection is - not really all that important in the scheme of things. Some people never learn that.

2. It's OKAY to want to look good, to be healthy, and well-groomed. It's OKAY to wash your face, smear a little moisturizer, and enjoy an aftershave that's pleasing to your nose. What's not okay, is when you sacrifice other things, for the sake of your vanity. And this is what you're realizing now.

Suggestions:

1. Eat healthier foods, and less supplements. Find out what kinds of foods those supplements are supposed to be replacing, and replace most of them - with food. Whatever you can't eat, supplement with a single once-day multivitamin.
2. Continue keeping your face clean and moisturized, but don't obsess over labels. You can find quality skin care at CVS and Walgreens. Give your skin a couple of weeks to adjust to a new product, accept a few zits til it's adjusted, and you'll be gorgeous once more - for a whole lot less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty