Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,662,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACollegeStudent View Post
Really! I love cloths they can be like art on your body, whatever mood you feel cloths can describe kind of like a tat...expect less permant. I do think it is awesome that you dont care in a sense because some people care to much and thats never good I am more on the end of caring ALOT but it doesnt consume me, i just like to look good because my mom once told me " you never know who you might meet"
Yep I know what you mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,738,579 times
It totally differs by region, and even then it's impossible to pinpoint. Where I'm at we have surfer bums, super rich older folks, College folk, cowboys and everyone in between. I'm a tshirt, jeans and flip flops kinda gal, and I seem to fit in just fine. I have notice though that most people simply don't care what you're wearing.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,599,330 times
Don't you think people in general just don't dress as nicely as they once did? I'm only in my mid 40's, so not THAT old, but can remember when you got dressed up a little nice just to go to dinner. It's a shame a lot of people don't care what they look like anymore. There is no reason to be sloppy or dirty in the name of comfort. Even jeans, tshirts and flip flops can have style to them.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,106,332 times
There are a lot more overweight people now than there used to be. Do you think weight issues are one reason why people don't care as much about appearances as they once did?

Or do you think it's due to the casualization of our society, aided on by how we see others (celebrities, Hollywood, advertisements, etc.) carry themselves?

I'm only in my mid 30's, but I remember when we could only wear jeans on Friday's. When I was in elementary and middle school, girls had to wear skirts except for Friday's, which was jeans day. I grew up in Texas, though. Now that we live on the West Coast it seems like everything is so casual here.... it's shocking, really. Part of me likes how casual it is, but there's a part that finds it disrespectful when people are wearing flip flops and hoodie sweater to some nice event or nice dinner.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
There are a lot more overweight people now than there used to be. Do you think weight issues are one reason why people don't care as much about appearances as they once did?

Or do you think it's due to the casualization of our society, aided on by how we see others (celebrities, Hollywood, advertisements, etc.) carry themselves?

I'm only in my mid 30's, but I remember when we could only wear jeans on Friday's. When I was in elementary and middle school, girls had to wear skirts except for Friday's, which was jeans day. I grew up in Texas, though. Now that we live on the West Coast it seems like everything is so casual here.... it's shocking, really. Part of me likes how casual it is, but there's a part that finds it disrespectful when people are wearing flip flops and hoodie sweater to some nice event or nice dinner.
I think or has to do with weight gain. Some gain it via overeating, pregnancy, thyroid problems, etc. And they lose their confidence and are unsure of how to dress the body they have. That's why I think What Not to Wear is a great show because I think they show the participants great tips on finding clothes that give slimming illusions.

Also, there are many reasons why some are so casual. Some of it can be having kids and being preoccupied with parenthood that they don't take time for themselves otherwise they're "selfish." I've seen some of the participants on WNTW who get really emotional because they feel like they're being selfish spending $5000 on themselves rather than their families.
Another reason could be they suffered a disease or a relative had a disease and they took care of them for a long time. I could go on about it. But you're right. I think more people should put more effort into their appearance.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,550,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
My mom was saying she read some article about California having the worst dressers in the world. You would think that they dressed better because we have Hollywood.

Does anyone agree with that statement or have you seen worse dressers??
Hollywood isn't the average person on the street.

Go to Ralphs, Vons, RiteAid, Target, and any mall... what do you see?

Flip flops. Skinny jeans with muffin tops, Uggs that have seen better days, Juicy Couture on 40 year olds, oversized butts in the tightest lycra stretch wear with no top covering their big gargantuan butt, teens in clothes a 25 year old should wear, and 30 year olds in small stuff meant for a teen.

The men - skate surf wear like Hollister on a 30 year old, flip flops, dirty saggy butt jeans (or) super skinny jeans on super skinny legs, supersized shirts like XXXXL on a size Medium guy, or the extreme of head to toe dressed up in the logowear, and dumb haircuts.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 PM

581 posts, read 1,384,827 times
Default i just wish

I just wish baggy oversized pants on young men would go out of style. But since it's been IN style now for at least 15 years, I suppose it is permanent.
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like looking at guys' underwear above their too-loose pants. Not to mention the fact that it must be uncomfortable to wear clothes that don't fit properly!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:17 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,599,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
I just wish baggy oversized pants on young men would go out of style. But since it's been IN style now for at least 15 years, I suppose it is permanent.
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like looking at guys' underwear above their too-loose pants. Not to mention the fact that it must be uncomfortable to wear clothes that don't fit properly!
Amen to that!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 AM

18,247 posts, read 22,627,876 times
The way that Californians look on their worst days is still far superior to that of A LOT of other people all over the country. I would vote for the Mid-Westerns and some Southerners as the worst dressed.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The way that Californians look on their worst days is still far superior to that of A LOT of other people all over the country. I would vote for the Mid-Westerns and some Southerners as the worst dressed.
I know right!? No offense to people in the South but seriously, based on who's been nominated on What Not To Wear that come from the South tend to have that 80's look. There were two women like that and one of them reverted back to her old hair!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty