Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:57 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,332 times

Advertisements

In my opinion it ages women when they don't keep up with the current styles on hair, clothing and makeup. I have seen several women in their 30's who look much older just because they are frumpy.

You don't have to be into all the lastest trends but at least be in the right decade

Old 06-06-2011, 04:40 PM

274 posts, read 371,150 times
Oh my god, this is ridiculous.

Men's skin is 20% thicker than women's, due to their testosterone levels. Collagen and elastin are more present, so the delicate nature of a young woman's skin, the thing that made it so attractive when they were 19 years old, means that it may not hold up the way a man's does.

Why did this turn into a discussion about how women just let themselves go when they get older? It's like asking why men let themselves go bald!

Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
They don't always go the same way. When I went to my 25th reunion, the woman who was by far the most beautiful had been a tall gawky girl with thick glasses. The next-best-looking had been a roundish, dumpy-looking girl.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
LOL. This is hilarious.

Everyone is different, but one thing is undeniable: we all will age.

Nevertheless, some people place emphasis on their physical appearance and some don't. I've read some serious generalizations about the "popular girl in high school who wore too much make up, drank too much, smoked too much, etc."

That wasn't the case at my high school. Unless you know 100% of the world's population, you can't make such sweeping generalizations.
It really just depends. At my high school, the generally-recognized-as-popular crowd was definitely none-too-classy, which resulted in an "in crowd" that was, well, to be blunt, kinda skanky. This happens in small communities, sometimes, where the pond is sufficiently small that the biggest fish in it aren't really all that big, in the grand scheme of things - and fairly low class parents, even if they've risen to some type of mediocre status in a small town, generally beget fairly low class kids. So you get a lower standard for what's classy. Leaving a small, fairly blue collar community for college in a much more moneyed and distinctly more intellectual area showed me that the "society" crowd in my college would have laughed their butts off at the crowd that passed for popular at my podunk (loved it, but it was assuredly podunk) high school. Every place has their own version of popular. In my high school, it was people who grew up to be small town cops, the bartenders they bust for serving underage popular kids (probably their own), and the alcoholics they have to give rides home. Three cheers for rising to mediocrity.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,652,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
Back in high school, and at times I always admired the beauty that most of the popular girls had. They had so much attention, and I always had that feeling that they were going to be beautiful for a long time.

However after running into many of them, after years I say to myself "oh my, what happened"??? I am not trying to be negative, but 10 to 15 years after high school many woman just dont age gracefully. The irony is that the girl that most of the guys just did not notice or get as much attention as the popular girls in high, look way better than what they did back than and much better than many of the woman who grabbed all the intention. They also tend to be more successful and independent.

I see this trend all the time, and my friends agree with me. One theory of mine is because most women who tend to be apart of that popular clique tend to drink, smoke, and party hard during those early years, become dependent on someone, get pregnant, etc. This is one reason why I think most men, and I believe men are shallow as they are desperate, look for younger women, immediately when they see signs that there woman is aging. Men know subconsciously that many woman whether we all want to admit it or not, do not age gracefully.

As I said this does not pertain to every single woman, but it is something I would like to look into. Men look better when they age, and for women it is the complete opposite.
There is a lot to be said for living a healthy lifestyle. But that's not everything. Genetics are surely a factor. But life is not the same for everyone. Some people get beaten down by a multitude of stresses. Coping with a 10-year non stop marathon of problems such as abuse, marital difficulties, single parenting, job loss, lawsuits, financial problems, etc. can turn even the most spectacular of beauties into a haggard look.

There is something to be said about inner beauty. It's a rare gem. To see past the wrinkles, the hair loss, and a few extra pounds, only to find the truest of beauties. Judging others' based on their looks just seems so shallow to me.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
Back in high school, and at times I always admired the beauty that most of the popular girls had. They had so much attention, and I always had that feeling that they were going to be beautiful for a long time.

However after running into many of them, after years I say to myself "oh my, what happened"??? I am not trying to be negative, but 10 to 15 years after high school many woman just dont age gracefully. The irony is that the girl that most of the guys just did not notice or get as much attention as the popular girls in high, look way better than what they did back than and much better than many of the woman who grabbed all the intention. They also tend to be more successful and independent.

I see this trend all the time, and my friends agree with me. One theory of mine is because most women who tend to be apart of that popular clique tend to drink, smoke, and party hard during those early years, become dependent on someone, get pregnant, etc. This is one reason why I think most men, and I believe men are shallow as they are desperate, look for younger women, immediately when they see signs that there woman is aging. Men know subconsciously that many woman whether we all want to admit it or not, do not age gracefully.

As I said this does not pertain to every single woman, but it is something I would like to look into. Men look better when they age, and for women it is the complete opposite.
So what...does it make you feel good?? You sure like tootin your own horn!!! Sad that you've been so poorly treated by men that you've formed such a low opinion of them.....now what is it about women that age (as you percieve it) not gracefully that you want to look into....and why???

Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've seen men get fat and go bald 8 years out of HS. Not everyone ages gracefully regardless of their sex.
Who cares about male baldness anymore? Most men these days shave their heads anyway and it has been an acceptable look for over 20 years.

Black guys have been shaving their heads longer and finally white guys have picked up on this look.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 AM

89 posts, read 175,172 times
Women get more wrinkles because their skin is much less thinker than a man's skin, especially on the face.

I believe how you look as you get old depends on:
- genetics
- smoking
- sun exposure abuse
- self care, hygiene
- healthy eating, some sport - but not exaggerated

I'm walking my baby almost daily in a large park; I've seen some mothers around 35-45, with their teen kids, on rollers or just walking along. I was completely stunned of how good those women looked.

I've also been stunned to see young girls looking sleezy and plain....old.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:08 PM

83 posts, read 280,995 times
Makeup will do that to you. I'm out of high school 2 years and already, some people are letting themselves go.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:31 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,287,184 times
Women look really different as they age because they start to lose their looks as perimenopause kicks in in the mid 30s. It actually begin a little earlier than that depending on how well you take care of yourself. There is a lot involved in looking good past 30 and 40. Genetics, correct diet and exercise, good skin care, and after a certain age HRT is crucial to continue to look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty