Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 28 16.09%
No 146 83.91%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:18 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,852,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree Kenya is stunning, but sorry she definitely has some white in her. The first one possibly has some too.

I hope you didn't misunderstand my post. I was not saying I think pure African women are not attractive, but that I can't name one famous pure black woman whom is considered a 'sex symbol' by people. Serena and Venus William are two that come to mind, and they aren't ever thought of in the same category as Alicia Keys or something.
Actually, if those two women are mixed with anything, it's most likely Native American. Few blacks are 100%.

Dark skinned black women aren't generally promoted as "hot", because this is an Anglocentric country where the white standard of beauty is dominant. This does not mean that black women are not beautiful or sexy.

I'm assuming you're from Australia. Well if you ever come to the US it would be wise to keep these opinions to yourself, unless you're looking for a violent altercation.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
I agree Kenya is stunning, but sorry she definitely has some white in her. The first one possibly has some too.

I hope you didn't misunderstand my post. I was not saying I think pure African women are not attractive, but that I can't name one famous pure black woman whom is considered a 'sex symbol' by people. Serena and Venus William are two that come to mind, and they aren't ever thought of in the same category as Alicia Keys or something.
What is a "pure African woman?" Sorry, you won't find many of those in the US period. The average African-American (dark-skinned or not) is at least 20% something else. And obviously, the actual African women don't typically rate a mention in mainstream media in the US, because there isn't an African country with the same level of media power as the US or even India right now.

So come back to me when you find a "pure African woman." "Real African-Americans" are pretty mixed up.

But if I were to pick a few darker African-American women, I would start with:
Angela Bassett
Jennifer Hudson
Naomi Campbell
Regina King

And here is a random assortment of Nigerian Actresses since you were looking for "pure African women"
Genevieve Nnaji
Omotola Jolade
Ini Edo
Grace Amah
Stephanie Okereke
Stella Damascus

Last edited by jade408; 05-22-2011 at 11:28 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 11:24 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
All I know is, give me Serena Williams and Im a happy camper. That chick is just waaaaay too sexy.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-27-2011 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: copyrighted photo

Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:

Most African Americans have some non-African ancestry but here are some beautiful ladies who happen to be darker in complexion.

Iman (from Somalia)
Liya Kebede (from Ethiopia)
Wanakee Pugh (American)
Meagan Good (American)
Kerry Washington (American)
Tatyana Ali (American)
Sanaa Lathan (American)

Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Actually, if those two women are mixed with anything, it's most likely Native American. Few blacks are 100%.

Dark skinned black women aren't generally promoted as "hot", because this is an Anglocentric country where the white standard of beauty is dominant. This does not mean that black women are not beautiful or sexy.

I'm assuming you're from Australia. Well if you ever come to the US it would be wise to keep these opinions to yourself, unless you're looking for a violent altercation.
I never said that was my opinion. I think dark skinned women can indeed be very attractive, it's just how they're portrayed.

Why is it in alot of black sitcoms the women is often whiter than the man? The 'popular' sister is always lighter-skinned while the darker sister is the less-popular, jealous one?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,456,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Uh no..Hispanic men and white men are....
Love the dark hair and dark eyes
love the blond hair and light eyes
Love my boyfriends brown hair and brown eyes..he hispanic and white.
Agreed! Well my boyfriend is white, Jewish, and Lebanese and I think he is good looking.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,107,744 times
When you create a poll like this and you ask what group of men is hotter, you automatically think Tyson Beckford and not Forest Whitaker. Even though Forest is great actor he's not going to win a photo contest against Tyson Beckford. A fairer comparison would be Cloonie vs. Denzel. While the article is slightly controversial it's more easily and openly discussed then in the past.

I don't know about the testosterone thing from the article but I highly doubt African American woman have more of it. If you want to make generalities about African American woman and features you could argue that they have more feminine features and therefore more estrogen; More curves, Fuller hips, breast and lips...Doesn't sound like testosterone too me. All those features are considered feminine and more desirable these days.

I was with a group of men at a bar recently, about 10 of us, where the discussion gravitated to bagging on American woman and black American woman specifically wrt to other places in the world. The men were just Black and White no other groups. Asian, European and Black woman from other countries got the green light by all almost all the men. By the end of the conversation it started to sound like a "Grasses always greener on the other side" scenario. Guys thinking there’s some Hot better woman on the other side of the ocean. One of the guys has an Ethiopian girlfriend that he is always playing up! After 2 years of living with her griping I think he's realizing American woman aren’t so bad! American Woman in general, Black, White, Asian in that order are the most desirable to me. You know what to expect from them and not some mystery package from over seas!

Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
I never said that was my opinion. I think dark skinned women can indeed be very attractive, it's just how they're portrayed.

Why is it in alot of black sitcoms the women is often whiter than the man? The 'popular' sister is always lighter-skinned while the darker sister is the less-popular, jealous one?
Could you please provide specific examples of this scenario?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Could you please provide specific examples of this scenario?
Just one example. Look how fair the females bar the younger daughters are:

the cosby show - Google Search=

They are supposed to be the 'beautiful ones'...

Actually open your eyes and think critically, this is the case in most 'black' sitcoms I have seen.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times
I think dark skinned black men have the most beautiful skin. However, I think Keanu Reeves and men who look like him are drop dead gorgeous. I actually salivate when I watch "Point Break", "The Matrix", "Speed" and "The Devil's Advocate". I do not really care for the skin but the rest works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty