Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,591 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My GF is 30 year old. She works outside a lot and while she uses sunscreen, her skin has really aged fast in the last two years. She looks a good 5-10 year over her age, which is kinda weird considering that her body skin is in very good condition.

That's not a problem to me because I always liked older women , but I see her try one expensive cream after the next and she seemed a bit down about it. She probably has a basket worth at least 500$ in facial creams.

When she turned 28, a few brown age spots started surface and so did a lot of new freckles. Pregnancy last year only made it worse, but the mask of pregnancy only partially went away. Not only that, her pores seem to have gotten bigger lately.

Her skin just looks very rough basically.

I tell her to stop worrying about it and leave it alone but she's unhappy about it. I wished I could help her out. She already gets facials at beauty salon and I don't think there is any cream out there she hasn't used, including mine.

I know genes play a big part but I was wondering if there are any good treatments for this kind of skin condition. I've heard about a bunch of things like laser resurfacing or other least expensive methods, some that are not exactly orthodox, but I don't know if any of those work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,955 times
First, I'd suggest a dermatologist. Just be careful as the products & treatments they recommend may cause increased sensitivity to sunlight and susceptibility to UV rays.

As you know, no cream can reverse existing sun damage. In order to prevent further damage I'd suggest practical options: a wide brim hat, lightweight long sleeves/pants in a breathable linen or cotton, and of course continued use of sunscreen. As sunscreen loses its effectiveness, gotta reapply throughout the day! Most people put it on in the morning and forget about it. That's especially important if your girl works outside.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:50 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
I second the hat, it works much better than sunscreen. I also rec seeing a dermatologist and trying to deal with the situation topically, with prescription creams. And don't go to only one dermatologist, go to several. Stay away from the dermatologist that recommends laser/photo rejuvenation: it will ruin her skin.

She might also consider a consult with her OB/GYN or an endocrinologist to figure out a way to balance out her hormones. And advise her to be patient re: the melasma, it usually does go away, eventually, but it may take some time.

I know that a lot of people have used Meladerm and rec it; it's not very expensive and may be worth a try. However, it needs to be applied to the entire face, not just certain areas, so that the skin tone will be the same all over. Be forewarned that it is a skin lightener, which is really the only treatment at present for melasma.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,109 times
I have had laser resurfacing for chicken pox scarring, acne scarring, and rosacea and I loved it! If I could afford more treatments, I'd do it. It really softened my skin and reduced pore size.

Have her inquire about microdermabrasion or the use of topical retin-a. With both, she'll have to be extra careful in the sun.

And I agree with visiting multiple dermatologists or aestheticians. I think both like to promote their products without much consideration for what truly works best for the patient. They have to stay in business, right?

I hope she finds something that works for her.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
is she reapplying the sunscreen during the day? Is it for face or general sunscreen? and yes, a hat is a must!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I have had laser resurfacing for chicken pox scarring, acne scarring, and rosacea and I loved it! If I could afford more treatments, I'd do it. It really softened my skin and reduced pore size.

Have her inquire about microdermabrasion or the use of topical retin-a. With both, she'll have to be extra careful in the sun.

And I agree with visiting multiple dermatologists or aestheticians. I think both like to promote their products without much consideration for what truly works best for the patient. They have to stay in business, right?

I hope she finds something that works for her.
Yes, for those things, laser is wonderful. However, in the case of brown/age spots and melasma, laser is not recommended b/c it usually makes it worse. Microdermabrasion and maybe even a chemical peel (administered by a dermatologist) as well as retin-A or other topicals are great suggestions.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,508 times
When I was in my early 30s I had 2 large age spots on my upper lip - which made it look like I had a mustache. It was awful. I went to a dermatologist who recommended laser treatment. It took 3 visits over a period of a few months and I had to stay out of the sun during the treatment. After the laser treatment, the age spots were gone. He offered to do my entire face since I am fair skinned and have freckles but I opted to just have the upper lip done. It wasn't super expensive either - maybe $400-$600.

He also gave me tips on finding good sunscreen that really protects the skin. He said to look for something with zinc oxide as an ingredient (he named another ingredient but I don't remember what it was). He didn't try to sell me any of his products, although there were some on display around the office.

My first step was researching dermatologists in the area to find a highly recommended one. I had to wait an entire month for my first appt b/c he was so booked, but it was worth the wait. OP - I really think your GF will benefit greatly by finding a great dermatologist who will help her improve her skin. She will feel a lot better about herself.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
This is something I hope to have done in the future. Thanks for sharing your positive results. I have always had acne and as my skin ages I'm starting to notice visible scarring and large pores.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
I'd suggest a visit to a dermatologist , possibly for a prescription RetinaA. I'm lucky enough that my insurance covers it but even if it didn't it would still be (derm visits and the meds) cheaper than what your GF is spending on creams and spa visits.

I use the Neutragena Dry Touch or Age Shield products. I use the Dry Touch instead of my make-up primer to make my pores appear smaller/less noticable

Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,591 times
Thanks for the suggestions people. People seem to have different positions on resurfacing though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty