Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:06 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,331,288 times

Advertisements

I've about had it with walking into department stores from Wal-Mart to K-Mart and all the rest...and being held prisoner to the clothing dictates of what 15 year olds wear...

Ok, I don't follow 'trends' I follow 'fashion'....my own...

I'm not trying to wear shorts what come all they way down to my mid-calf...and are as baggy and wide as can be...I think that's gross and ugly, and hides the beautiful shape of your body...

If your in shape, stuff like that matters...if your not...I guess baggy fat Albert shorts help cover up a bloated inseam...I don't know...I just know I can't wear that silly stuff...

Even hats...when it comes to male hats, designers are so uncreative...lately I've been looking at female hats that come in an array of styles and colors...

Why do designers think males have to be 'bland'??

My time on this earth is short...and while here I too want to enjoy the full array of colors put here before me, us...I don't see that as being a gender thing...

So, like I did once before, soon I will get a sewing machine, and re-teach myself how to use it...and start modifying what I buy and custom fitting it to my own personal taste...

I just can't take anymore of this generic, one size fashion, fit's all for males mentality that designers seem to have...

The only acceptions are maybe celebraties and performers...their the only males who get to go all out in what they wear...without being 'stigmatized'....

Anyways...that's my 2 cents on that...go out and get a sewing machine guys, and learn how to use it...infact...that's what many families did in the past...they made their own clothing...

And if you make something cool enough...maybe you could market it and sell it...who knows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,182,816 times
I think everybody should definitely learn how to sew - male and female. It amazes me how much people spend to get clothes altered. I've been making articles of clothing for myself since I was like... 15 or so. The stuff I make from scratch is mainly for costuming and such (I do a lot of cosplay). For everyday clothes, I've no problem buying something that is ill-fitting and just altering it myself.

Honestly, sewing is not that hard. I would suggest to anyone wanting to try, do it cheap first. If you want to make something from scratch, get a cheap pattern, cheap fabric, cheap interfacing, cheap everything. If you want to start altering, then get yourself something cheap from the thrift store (a t-shirt would be a good starter piece) and give it a shot. There's plenty of guides available on how to alter clothing.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,523 times
That's might be true.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:53 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,884,034 times
Anything off the rack should be altered to custom fit you. This is really a great idea. I just wish I had money to invest in a really good sewing machine as well as the time to learn how.

Where are the guides to learn how to alter?

My father used to sew and out of me and my wife I am the one with the small sewing kit to do things like buttons and such.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:32 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,068,218 times
Occasionally, I make my own ballroom costumes. I have all Bernina machines. Just wish I had more time to be creative.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Anything off the rack should be altered to custom fit you. This is really a great idea. I just wish I had money to invest in a really good sewing machine as well as the time to learn how.
A "really good" sewing machine for altering clothes is any normal machine (not the handheld ones) that has a straight stitch, a zig-zag stitch, can change tension, and change stitch length... Oh and back stitch. I have three machines: One that is for show (it's 50+ years old), a 25 year old Kenmore that is my main, and a cute little hand-machine that I carry to conventions in case somebody has a costume-mishap.

Quote:
Where are the guides to learn how to alter?
Here is a basic guide to altering a shirt.

A cute little video on how to do it (http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-alter-your-shirt - broken link) - it really is that easy.

Myself, my mother taught me how to put two pieces of fabric together and sew a line. Everything I've learned beyond that, I learned mainly from Cosplay.Com and trial-and-error.

Quote:
My father used to sew and out of me and my wife I am the one with the small sewing kit to do things like buttons and such.
I actually saw a place at the mall last weekend that advertised that they'll resew buttons for $20. I laughed ridiculously hard at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes
Occasionally, I make my own ballroom costumes. I have all Bernina machines. Just wish I had more time to be creative.
I love ballroom costumes. As for the time to be creative... I'll raise a glass to that one. I've got a month and a half to make three costumes. And none of them are going to be very easy.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 AM

285 posts, read 928,320 times
I like the idea...I'm bored with what men's fashion is today also.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:48 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,261,102 times
After watching Project Runway for the last few years, it sure does seem like a great idea to be able to learn to design and sew your own stuff. I'm not sure how much money you would actually save, but at least you would like what you are wearing.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
After watching Project Runway for the last few years, it sure does seem like a great idea to be able to learn to design and sew your own stuff. I'm not sure how much money you would actually save, but at least you would like what you are wearing.
Well, in the jeans thread, a guy mentioned buying $50 jeans and spending $60 to alter them. Let's see how much it would cost to make them from scratch.

* 2 yards of denim - $12
* New thread - $3
* Zipper - $1
* Cute button - $2-$5
* Needles capable of going through 4 layers of denim - $3
* A Pattern - I buy them when they're on sale for 99 cents.
* Your time.

Total Approximate cost: $20-$25 + your time

Now, if you compare it to jeans you'd buy at WalMart, hand-making is probably more expensive. But, like you said, the end result is something that is customized for you. You get to choose everything about them - from the weight and style of the denim, to the cute button you use, down to using any color of thread.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,068,218 times
I used to belong to a Bernina sewing club a few years ago, but life got in the way and I had to stop going. I really miss it. It was so much fun being in a room with a small group of people who were all creating and making things. There were a couple of guys in there too. Sewing (and cake decorating) is something I am definitely going to get back into when I have more free time in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty