Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:34 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,333,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
Okay, look, over here on the right hand side of the room...guitars & motorcycles. Left hand side of the room...sewing machine and lovely fabrics. You can do whatever you want, no problem, but I'm going straight for guitars & motorcycles every time. I haven't even added beer into this equation yet. Not saying it will never happen but the odds I'll ever start sewing my own clothes? - very, very unlikely.
Oh come on guy...we could have so much fun..I can grab a case a beer and a sewing machine and stitch away...and make and design clothing that really says...'you'...like wwf wrestlers of old...

Creativity is not a gender specific trait...free yourself..and grow...step outside the box...

I can't wait to get my sewing stuff back...and see where creativity leads me...Join us...males and females who enjoy sewing and making our own stuff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 12:23 AM

548 posts, read 2,099,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Oh come on guy...we could have so much fun..I can grab a case a beer and a sewing machine and stitch away...and make and design clothing that really says...'you'...like wwf wrestlers of old...

Creativity is not a gender specific trait...free yourself..and grow...step outside the box...

I can't wait to get my sewing stuff back...and see where creativity leads me...Join us...males and females who enjoy sewing and making our own stuff...
Nope. Levi's takes care of that for me.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:20 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,321,145 times
I can't sew... Tried but it is not passable.

I can draw and design clothing pretty well... but unless I can learn how to sew my dreams of being a fashion designer will never come to pass.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:53 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,601,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I can't sew... Tried but it is not passable.

I can draw and design clothing pretty well... but unless I can learn how to sew my dreams of being a fashion designer will never come to pass.
Its not difficult miyu, start with a pattern and some inexpensive fabric. Vogues patterns are exceptionally easy to follow and will give you some experience with a machine....give it try. Maybe we'll see you on Project Runway.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,296,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Sewing by hand...wow...I never thought of that...

When I use to sew...or try too, there were some angles and corners ect ect...that I just could not get....but now that I think of it...by hand I could of...

Wow...such a simple solution...

I mean I would try to do impossible things with the machine...and the machine would just gobble up the fabric...and I would start crying...

But now, after reading the above...I can see how hand sewing could really have it's advantages...expecially when doing small stuff like certain angles on hats and all...
Machines are good for speed, but they don't do much for artistic creativity!

I always think of that story "Tailor of Gloucester" from being a kid whenever I sew by hand.

I have a cheap 100$ brother sewing machine in my closet and I use my hands more because its faster. If you sew a lot eventually you may just skip the thimble. If you do not have good eyes pick up one of those embroidery lamps with a magnifying glass on it.

You can google up different types of hand stitches for free. Practice the even stitching on a junk cloth. I think its kinda like braiding in the way that when you learn to braid it feels awkward until you get the idea of how your hands are suppose to go. Then its easy. With hand sewing you will get used to the way of turning and where the needle comes up through the fabric in the right spot. Embroidery thread is good to practice this with because its easy to hold, silky and you can see it easily.

Do learn what threads can be used with what. Otherwise you can have the problems with string shrinking or bleeding.

My grandmother had one of those old foot pump singer machines and one time she was tired and sewing. (they made a lot of their clothing ) She ended up pulling her hand under the needle. I have been terrified of that since she told me over 20 years ago. LOL

Old 09-18-2010, 11:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,355,109 times
I can't sew in a straight line even with a machine. I am still trying to learn how to sew.

For now I take clothing to a tailor if it's too big rather than giving it away. Sometimes it's not cost-effective to have it altered; sometimes it is. If it's not cost-effective then off to Salvation Army or Goodwill it goes. If it's stained and I can't get the stain out no matter what, then it goes in the trash or in the "painting/yard work clothes" drawer.

I haven't had too much trouble finding traditionally-tailored clothing; pants can be problematic as most of them seem to be the low-cut/hip-slung variety but you can find pants with a higher rise if you look for them.

My problem right now is finding pants at department stores that's small enough. Even some size 2s and 4s from J. Crew and Express are too big for me. Either I'm way skinnier than I thought I was or sizing is a complete joke. I think it's the latter. I don't have any trouble finding tops that fit me....just pants.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:09 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,333,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Machines are good for speed, but they don't do much for artistic creativity!

I always think of that story "Tailor of Gloucester" from being a kid whenever I sew by hand.

I have a cheap 100$ brother sewing machine in my closet and I use my hands more because its faster. If you sew a lot eventually you may just skip the thimble. If you do not have good eyes pick up one of those embroidery lamps with a magnifying glass on it.

You can google up different types of hand stitches for free. Practice the even stitching on a junk cloth. I think its kinda like braiding in the way that when you learn to braid it feels awkward until you get the idea of how your hands are suppose to go. Then its easy. With hand sewing you will get used to the way of turning and where the needle comes up through the fabric in the right spot. Embroidery thread is good to practice this with because its easy to hold, silky and you can see it easily.

Do learn what threads can be used with what. Otherwise you can have the problems with string shrinking or bleeding.

My grandmother had one of those old foot pump singer machines and one time she was tired and sewing. (they made a lot of their clothing ) She ended up pulling her hand under the needle. I have been terrified of that since she told me over 20 years ago. LOL
I remember as a kid, it was so common to see my classmates show up to school with 'patches' sewn into the jeans...in the knee area...seems everyone did that back then...mothers that is, instead of buying new pants, they would just sew them up...or put in knee patches, cause in school, at recess, most of the guys always played tack football and or other rough and tumble activities...

I don't see knee patches on clothing anymore...I guess in todays enviornment it wouldn't be 'cool' for a kid to show up at school with with several patched up holes in their pants...but back in the 70-80's that was just normal...families were more practical...

By the way...I love the painting of the mice...it reminds me of the books they use to read us in school...like when they would lead you to the library...and the librarian would read from a book...and whenever the story or page had a photo or illustration...the teacher would hold up the book for all to see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I can't sew in a straight line even with a machine. I am still trying to learn how to sew.

For now I take clothing to a tailor if it's too big rather than giving it away. Sometimes it's not cost-effective to have it altered; sometimes it is. If it's not cost-effective then off to Salvation Army or Goodwill it goes. If it's stained and I can't get the stain out no matter what, then it goes in the trash or in the "painting/yard work clothes" drawer.

I haven't had too much trouble finding traditionally-tailored clothing; pants can be problematic as most of them seem to be the low-cut/hip-slung variety but you can find pants with a higher rise if you look for them.

My problem right now is finding pants at department stores that's small enough. Even some size 2s and 4s from J. Crew and Express are too big for me. Either I'm way skinnier than I thought I was or sizing is a complete joke. I think it's the latter. I don't have any trouble finding tops that fit me....just pants.
I have a problem with size to...what bugs me about Wal-Mart...at least with the male stuff...is they always order xxx size shirts and shorts and underwear...they make it seem like everyone is 'bloated'...

I don't mind buying larger shirts...but when it comes to pants or shorts...they have to fit...I can't stand loose fitting pants or shorts or underwear....I like for things to be tight around the waist...or at least snug...

Last edited by Time and Space; 09-18-2010 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty