Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,792,729 times

Advertisements

Before & After PICS PLEEZE J/K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:58 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,376,469 times
Watch for ingrown hairs around the neck area. Wash that area with an acne face wash to keep it clear. I agree to get some sunscreen for your head and a hat. The scalp burns pretty easily. Since you do not have the hair and your face is your highlight..Get your teeth professionally cleaned, fixed and whiten if you have been putting it off.

I think those little cheapie conair clipper kits are fine to keep a buzz in order. They also come with clipper guards so you can shave it yourself to a short buzz. I would not use a clipper on myself without a guard because you can catch the skin or ears in the corners and cut yourself. Your ear could still slip in with a guard on but not as easily.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:32 AM

46,583 posts, read 27,442,602 times
A double bladed razor is the best...I have used the 3 and 4 bladed razors and they work but also seem to take more skin off....just figure out which one works for you. I have been shaving my head now for 6+ years...

Do it in the shower with a big mirror to help you out, no soap...no shaving cream just nice hot water and a shaver with the moisture strip...

I have never had an ingrown hair from shaving my head, even on the lower portion on the back of the neck...

Wear a hat or keep suntan lotion handy, always use a lotion (non greasy feeling) after shaving...

Lastly....be sure to have someone check the back of your head and neck area before you go out...trust me....you will miss hair (big chunks) and look weird....

Old 06-18-2010, 12:39 PM

173 posts, read 326,896 times
yay! shaved heads are hot! my man does the same thing. he usually just sets the clippers on the setting that leaves the least hair. he has done the close shave with a razor and cream. he prefers just a very very close shearing to the shaving because he gets fewer ingrowns that way and can go longer between cuts and as chucksnee mentioned, doesn't take off as much skin. i found him some 'shaving company' products geared towards guys and he says that using those products in the right order has also cut down on ingrowns. my job is to check for oddities when he is done, even tho he has two nice mirrors.

and even more lastly, please please please clean up all the little hairs after you are done. when we first moved in together, it took my guy a little while to get used to doing this after living alone. even if you live alone do it, please. =)

Old 06-18-2010, 02:01 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,792,117 times
I'll wear a wig before I shave my head.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:05 PM

541 posts, read 2,145,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
The shaved head looks so much better than thinning hair! I've always loved a shaved head. And I'm under 30- I dunno why... I just like the look!
I completely agree!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:09 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,408,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

It's a big decision, but the time is now.
I had to make the same decision a while back. I had always had long, shoulder length hair, but it started to go.

Luckily I found out that I had a good shaped head underneath.

I usually shave with an electric razor because it's easier. I use the blade for special occasions. It grows back pretty fast though. The morning after a blade shaving the head and pillow case have become velcro.

Also, I rarely go outside without a hat. It won't take you too many sunburns to learn that.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:36 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,655,087 times
For a number of reasons I've decided to let my hair guy have the honors of the last hair cut. This coming Thursday after work. He didn't have any 5PM openings until then. I don't want to have it done during a lunch break and then field a 100 questions at work while getting used to the new look. My office has about 100 employees of which 90 are women.

So I happen to have this Friday off and we're going camping for three days. Perfect timing. I also bought an electric razor.

I've gone from being nervous about the decision, to being OK and now am excited. My wife can't wait. She is disappointed I am not doing it today, but I think having a pro do the honors is going to look better-nick wise.

No more hat hair.

No more bike helmet hair.

And I'll save a fortune on combs and shampoo!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:07 PM

660 posts, read 1,403,363 times
Quote:
For a number of reasons I've decided to let my hair guy have the honors of the last hair cut. This coming Thursday after work. He didn't have any 5PM openings until then. I don't want to have it done during a lunch break and then field a 100 questions at work while getting used to the new look. My office has about 100 employees of which 90 are women.

So I happen to have this Friday off and we're going camping for three days. Perfect timing. I also bought an electric razor.

I've gone from being nervous about the decision, to being OK and now am excited. My wife can't wait. She is disappointed I am not doing it today, but I think having a pro do the honors is going to look better-nick wise.

No more hat hair.

No more bike helmet hair.

And I'll save a fortune on combs and shampoo!
Good idea to have a pro do it the first time! Ask for some tips so you can repeat the steps at home. I've been told that some guys shave the head twice a day (like getting rid of a 5 o'clock shadow).

My cousin went bald early in his twenties and he looks so much cooler with a shaved head than keeping what little he had. Bald can be very sexy!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,895,877 times
Quote:
Yep.

My hair has got thinner over the years and I've decided to shave it off. Even the wife thinks I should. Step one; see my hair guy for the last time.

What next? Any tips?

Electric or blade razor?

Skin Care?

i shave every 2 days, with a mach 3, against the grain. the ideal situation is to shave with hot water, and rinse with cool water.

neutrogena shaving gel is the best, but expensive. soap works fine, preferably shaving soap. i don't recommend anything that relies on foam, whether it is a typical gel or a foam like barbasol.

i don't use aftershave or lotion because i have naturally oily skin, although many men do use products.

it feels great, but trust me when i say that you really don't want your head to sunburn and peel. i'd also recommend taking great care to learn the contours of your head, and the direction of the grain in different spots, so that you can shave without using a mirror.

as far as looks go it is a mixed bag. You might notice certain locations where there are tons of bald guys, like the gym. it is a polarizing look, so some women you will turn completely off, others will really like it. seems that younger girls (younger than 25 or so) don't like it, but women older than 30 either like it, or don't mind it. you're married so i guess the wife's opinion is what matters.

Last edited by le roi; 06-21-2010 at 02:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty