Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 11:22 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times

Advertisements

Does it even make a difference as far as which is better for you? (Btw, I am talking about a 3 mph walk -- not a leisurely stroll, but certainly not a "power walk", either.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 AM

77 posts, read 74,248 times
The latter is better.

Better yet would be 3 or four one mile walks a week.

One a week will do almost nothing for you. So two is better, but still on the very low end of the cardio fitness spectrum for somebody who wants to see any sort of results, like weight loss or increased cardio fitness.

Not to come down on you too hard--hey at least you're doing something--but a 3 mph walk is a 20-minute mile, and for any fit adult, IS considered a leisurely stroll pace.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times
Here's what these experts have to say about it. I don't think it matters whether you do it all at once or break it up... as long as you do it.

https://www.sharecare.com/health/car...cardio-at-once

Old 10-09-2015, 11:45 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity_Boy View Post
The latter is better.

Better yet would be 3 or four one mile walks a week.

One a week will do almost nothing for you. So two is better, but still on the very low end of the cardio fitness spectrum for somebody who wants to see any sort of results, like weight loss or increased cardio fitness.

Not to come down on you too hard--hey at least you're doing something--but a 3 mph walk is a 20-minute mile, and for any fit adult, IS considered a leisurely stroll pace.
Thanks for answering and maybe you missed it, but I do walk two miles daily.

And, about the pace, you're probably right, but to me, a leisurely stroll is walking with an old and frail lady!

Old 10-09-2015, 12:16 PM

77 posts, read 74,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Thanks for answering and maybe you missed it, but I do walk two miles daily.

And, about the pace, you're probably right, but to me, a leisurely stroll is walking with an old and frail lady!
Oops. Sorry, you are 100% right. I botched it--didn't read your OP close enough, and totally misunderstood that you walk every day.

Having said that, naw, I don't think it really matters if you break it up or not. Although if each of those walks is after a meal, that might be a bit better than just one walk. But overall sounds like you're fine. The main thing is elevating your heart rate for "x" minutes per day. The more the better of course, but it seems like the diff between keeping your HR up just once for 40 mins. or twice for 20 mins would not be very significant.

Thanks for corrrecting me. I'll try to read a little closer in the future!

Old 10-11-2015, 08:20 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
I'm not sure if this fact could have an effect, but I heard on the radio recently that varying your speed when walking helps to burn more calories.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:27 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
The best way is to do whichever combination you will stick with.

If you don't have enough time to walk a longer distance all at once, splitting up the distance is better than not doing it at all.

I prefer to mix things up: During the week I'll take multiple short walks before and after work. On the weekends, I take much longer walks, between 5 and 10 miles.

Although right now I'm nursing a bum knee, so 5 miles is out of the question. *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness