Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,284,917 times

Advertisements

and she sure has her eyes opened. I think every high school teacher should be a shadow for at least 1 day. They tend to forget the student experience.

Teacher spends two days as a student and is shocked at what she learns - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 10:36 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,693,988 times
Very interesting. I often felt this way as a teacher, but also felt I couldn't do anything about it. Especially when I taught 7th grade. I just found that I had more success when students had fewer freedoms. The minute that I allowed them to interact with each other, learning decreased. Like the author, I did have them stretch from time to time. Some days I couldn't even stand it. But with 35 students who had a home environment that was often iffy, at best, discipline was always an issue.

I think what she has done is meaningful, though. I remember being bored out of my skull in high school.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:07 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,102,973 times
I would hate to be in a class that implemented the suggestions. Yes, some people want to get up and move around. Some people want a ton of interaction. However, some people (including teenagers) would despise that. There is no one size fits all solution.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:49 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,025,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I would hate to be in a class that implemented the suggestions. Yes, some people want to get up and move around. Some people want a ton of interaction. However, some people (including teenagers) would despise that. There is no one size fits all solution.
That is true, but there has to be some kind of standard structure for a class full of 30 kids. What I found shocking is that so many schools go to lunch before 11:00 AM. I did in high school as well. I was barely hungry, waited in the lunch line a long time, and by the time I got my lunch, only had 15 or fewer minutes to eat it. Then by the time school was over, I was extremely hungry and ate another meal at home before dinner.

I would do away with is homework. It's just a waste of time, IMO, and I don't think kids should have the equivalent of a full time job being in school, taking the bus, and doing homework, especially since the latest studies indicate homework doesn't seem to benefit them. Also, many high schoolers have outside jobs and/or extracurricular activites on top of school. It makes for a very long, exhausting week for them.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:59 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,098,504 times
I had forgotten how all the sitting in classes makes you lethargic. Good find!

Old 10-25-2014, 05:38 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,880,829 times
Why is the schedule at that school set up for only 4 classes/day? Why are the class hours 1-1/2 hours? How can students be expected to sit through 1-1/2 hr. classes? Is that normal, or was that a special school she was in? 4 classes/day leaves no time for electives. It's only enough for a basic college-prep curriculum. What gives?

Old 10-25-2014, 05:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,102,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Why is the schedule at that school set up for only 4 classes/day? Why are the class hours 1-1/2 hours? How can students be expected to sit through 1-1/2 hr. classes? Is that normal, or was that a special school she was in? 4 classes/day leaves no time for electives. It's only enough for a basic college-prep curriculum. What gives?
4 classes a day in many schools means taking 8 classes at a time. They have longer classes but every other day. It's more similar to how many college classes are.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:14 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,192,211 times
I read the article and did think much of it. She seems to be part of the "school should be fun" crowd.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,284,917 times
we're talking about a bunch of kids really. Of course it should be 'fun' if you want them to be engaged and stick around for 4 years.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:41 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,693,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
We call that Block Scheduling. I'm not much of a fan of it, but that's topic of another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education