Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:54 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,266,344 times

Advertisements

I highly doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 09:57 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,115,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Talking about more contemporary music, here in South America almost nothing besides UK is known.
American pop often dominates more than British in South America. There have been "British invasion" periods, where Britpop has trounced American pop in total output and popularity (the mid-1960s, mid-to-late 1980s), but these are rare. South Americans like US singers and groups from Elvis to Madonna, every bit as much as they love Britpop. You will see just as many comments -- often more -- attached to US YouTube videos and written by South Americans (in English, Spanish, and Portuguese) as you will see comments attached to British YouTube videos.

Back to the OP: All European countries have a very well-established local popular music in their own native language, and it generally dominates all others from foreign countries. The closest competitor is always pop from the Anglosphere. Since the 1960s, British, American and, to a lesser degree, Australian pop have become the most exported pop in the world, and also the most competitive "foreign" pop in Europe, Asia, and the Americas.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 06-20-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-20-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfk35 View Post
That's right, we don't have bands like that and our finest singers like Jacques Brell (from Belgium) or Serge Gainsbourg can't be fully enjoyed without a good understanding of the lyrics.
You must give equal time to les dames: Piaf, Barbara, even Anne Sylvestre. All three are brilliant in my opinion (though Sylvestre is a folk singer).

Old 06-20-2015, 10:27 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,195,580 times
That's old music, no young people listen to that now.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:40 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,437,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
(mid-to-late 1980s)
I didn't leave 80's in music until now
hehe

Quote:
South Americans like US singers and groups from Elvis to Madonna, every bit as much as they love Britpop. You will see just as many comments -- often more -- attached to US YouTube videos and written by South Americans (in English, Spanish, and Portuguese) as you will see comments attached to British YouTube videos.
That made me remember a YT video of a song from Elton John (Empty Garden) and an english spoken commented:"Please....just one English comment!!! Is that too much to ask??!!!"

Quote:
Back to the OP: All European countries have a very well-established local popular music in their own native language, and it generally dominates all others from foreign countries.
That's interesting!

So french forumers, post some cool french unknow songs!!

Old 06-20-2015, 05:04 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,301,802 times
I admit I can't stand Piaf. Well, she was certainly great, but that seems like such a cliché and something from a distant past now. It's like meeting some americans and telling them "ooh... I love the culture of the USA... Sinatra is so great..."

I really like some 60s "yeye" singers though, like Jacques Dutronc or France Gall. That was the great French pop era. Dutronc really had witty and tongue in cheek lyrics with great orchestration.

In general, there have been valuable French bands in pretty much every musical genre of the last 50 years (pop, psychedelia, progressive, heavy metal, punk, new wave, hip hop, etc), and a lot of singer songwriters.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I admit I can't stand Piaf. Well, she was certainly great, but that seems like such a cliché and something from a distant past now. It's like meeting some americans and telling them "ooh... I love the culture of the USA... Sinatra is so great..."
But Frank Sinatra WAS great. He was one of the best balladeers ever, and he is from my parents' generation, not mine. You have to listen to (and consider the merits of) music from outside your own generation or you are being very naïve and narrow-minded. And very little of the current pop (rap, rock, soul, techno, dance music) will be listened to in 20 years. But Piaf and Sinatra will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I really like some 60s "yeye" singers though, like Jacques Dutronc or France Gall. That was the great French pop era. Dutronc really had witty and tongue in cheek lyrics with great orchestration. There have been valuable French bands in pretty much every musical genre of the last 50 years (pop, psychedelia, progressive, heavy metal, punk, new wave, hip hop, etc), and a lot of singer songwriters.
I agree with that, but French pop and Wallonian pop just haven't exported themselves well outside of the French-speaking world. Your country might be an exception, but US/UK pop is still much more popular in Italy than French pop is. Piaf and Brel are exceptions -- and exceptionally talented.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:55 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,973,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Talking about more contemporary music, here in South America almost nothing besides UK is known.

So it is theorically possible that I was unfair, but it's hard to believe that another country have a team like Adele, U2, Queen, George Michael, Rick Astley, Eric Clapton, Joe Coker, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Amy winehouse and so on...

Not to mention Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles and Rolling Stones.
Do South Americans listen to the newer English artists too like Little Mix and Girls Aloud?

Old 06-20-2015, 06:02 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,301,802 times
I didn't say Piaf was not great, it's just that it does nothing for me, it's eternally linked to the usual cliché of traditional french culture, and with that recognizable thick parisian accent... It's actually my grand parents' generation. In fact it is a bit annoying because it makes people believe that nothing has evolved in France since she was alive. People from abroad usually ignore most modern French music and believe people are still living like in those times.

And a lot of rock music of 35 years ago is still relevent today IMO. I listen to a lot of music from a while ago and from different countries, but I don't like everything for sure.

In Italy I have the impression anglosaxon music is even less popular than in France, I mean it is still popular, but I have the impression Italians are more into their own regional singers. Or maybe it's just the people I know... Also, everyone likes to sing here, be it traditional folk songs or popular classic songs at parties, it is very common for people to sing together. In France people do not sing as much at parties or weddings. Maybe they are more ashamed.

Music is not taken very seriously in France in general, much less than other forms of art.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:41 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,437,279 times
They're not famous, but One Direction is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe