Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 05:44 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Pretty funny. The US media is starting up the same social media election influence campaign against Iran.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...es/1079882002/

Liberal memes are supposed to be to the detriment of Democrats running for office now. It's what many progressives and traditional conservatives have suspected for awhile now. There is no real liberal party and no real conservative party. They are just parties paid for by large corporate interests (see oil story above and previous NSC lecture to Donald about reason for wars).
Nothing unusual about that. Governments will always try to use those who are discontent with a certain regime to their advantage. As long as you understand that it's a global phenomenon and not one sided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I don't want to start a separate thread on this one, but this article in Bloomberg caught my eye.
It looks like Europe is signalling a different course, a course of separation, when it comes to the US. ( This was only logical and long expected I suppose.)

"A key trigger for moves to establish greater independence was Trump’s decision announced in May to pull the U.S. out of the Iran nuclear accord, forcing European companies including Daimler AG and Total SA to pull out to avoid U.S. sanctions. French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire and German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas suggested on Monday that EU countries set up payment systems independent of the U.S. to sidestep the new regulations.

We are determined to work on an independent European or Franco-German financing tool which would allow us to avoid being the collateral victims of U.S. extra-territorial sanctions,” said Le Maire. “I want Europe to be a sovereign continent not a vassal, and that means having totally independent financing instruments that do not today exist.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...y-have-to-wait

As I can see from the article, it's not only about sanctions on Russia, but Iranian sanctions as well that potentially affect European economy.

I am sure Moscow is watching closely the developing situation.
Of course Moscow is watching very closely. Weakening the bond between Europe and the US works in it's favor. Many far right European parties have direct ties to the Kremlin and Russian banks. Just as pulling Eastern Europe away from Russia works for the US and Western countries.
It's what I like to call a tug of war.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:23 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Of course Moscow is watching very closely. Weakening the bond between Europe and the US works in it's favor. Many far right European parties have direct ties to the Kremlin and Russian banks. Just as pulling Eastern Europe away from Russia works for the US and Western countries.
It's what I like to call a tug of war.
Agree, it's a "tug of war," and to put it even better - it's some kind of a knot which is impossible to untangle no matter how much one tries to pull and twist it, because Russia ( or rather the government sitting there) is a key to it all. The mother of all solutions so to speak.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:35 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,567,188 times
Quote:
Nothing unusual about that. Governments will always try to use those who are discontent with a certain regime to their advantage. As long as you understand that it's a global phenomenon and not one sided.
As long as you understand what regime has active military operations in over 90% of the governments abroad, then it's clear that it's one-sided. The point was that the system is so lacking in democratic checks and balances that propaganda can be so crudely copied and repeated over and over again without regard for whether the audience finds it credible. The answer is that the media and party members and affiliates are the majority of the audience who can be depended on to repeat the lie. It is very reminiscent of the behavior of past totalitarian regimes.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,380 times
I like this girl)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwFDz6b-oRI&t=316s

Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,854,455 times
Quote:

As I can see from the article, it's not only about sanctions on Russia, but Iranian sanctions as well that potentially affect European economy.
Quote:
"Within 24 hours of one another this week, the German and French leaders made what would have once been remarkable interventions, calling on Europe to establish greater autonomy from the U.S. The common message was it’s time to reassert the continent’s sovereignty in the face of President Donald Trump’s capriciousness."

No, the quote does not mention Russian sanctions at all. Instead the article states that one area of agreement is the view towards Russia. Europe has its own sanctions against Russia independent of the US. These will continue until Russia gets out of Ukraine. We keep telling them this, and instead Putin tries to divide Europe to get those dang sanctions removed.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Agree, it's a "tug of war," and to put it even better - it's some kind of a knot which is impossible to untangle no matter how much one tries to pull and twist it, because Russia ( or rather the government sitting there) is a key to it all. The mother of all solutions so to speak.
I don't think it has much to do with a specific government, but more with where power lies. In all honesty, I expect the major conflict (not necessarily physical, but more of a competition for influence across the globe) to be between the US and China, since they are likely going to be the two superpowers.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:24 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,797 times
In the first half of this year, Russia has invested more in Ukraine than other countries. The share of Russian investments in the Ukrainian economy was 34.6%. This is stated in the report of the State statistics service of Ukraine.
According to the data provided, in the period from January to June Ukraine received $1,259 billion, including $436 million from Russia. In second place was Cyprus, which invested $219 million Three largest investors closed the Netherlands ($207.7 million).
In addition, Austria ($58.7 million), Poland ($54.1), France ($46.9) and the United Kingdom ($43.4) contributed to the Ukrainian economy.
The report says that almost 60% of these funds ($750 million) were sent to the financial and insurance sectors. Another 9.6% of the Ukrainian authorities invested in wholesale and retail trade, in industry — 8.2%, in the sphere of information and telecommunications — 7.9%.
In mid-August, the former President of Ukraine Viktor Yushchenko said that Russia since 2014 is the main trading partner of Ukraine, which is why the return of the Crimea and the resolution of the conflict in the Donbass become impossible. "In this state, there is no plan to win. Because you're not acting like a people who want to win. You are already slaves," he said.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
As long as you understand what regime has active military operations in over 90% of the governments abroad, then it's clear that it's one-sided. The point was that the system is so lacking in democratic checks and balances that propaganda can be so crudely copied and repeated over and over again without regard for whether the audience finds it credible. The answer is that the media and party members and affiliates are the majority of the audience who can be depended on to repeat the lie. It is very reminiscent of the behavior of past totalitarian regimes.
I understand what you're saying, and it is true that the US has by far the largest presence across the globe. Nevertheless, I don't see other countries as being any less ambitious in their global goals, just less capable of projecting power.

The biggest difference between past regimes and those of today is that people have access to multiple sources of information. The digital age has made it very difficult to actively hide information without resorting to censorship, which to me raises the ultimate red-flag. What constitutes the truth is then open to debate. Even independent journalists often pick a side and go with the flow. With most news outlets and by extension people, there is a tendency of applying binary logic to most debates. Everything is either 'good' or 'bad'. I do not subscribe to that notion and view world politics as a competition between nations and groups for affluence.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:39 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,567,188 times
Quote:
I understand what you're saying, and it is true that the US has by far the largest presence across the globe. Nevertheless, I don't see other countries as being any less ambitious in their global goals, just less capable of projecting power.

The biggest difference between past regimes and those of today is that people have access to multiple sources of information. The digital age has made it very difficult to actively hide information without resorting to censorship, which to me raises the ultimate red-flag. What constitutes the truth is then open to debate. Even independent journalists often pick a side and go with the flow. With most news outlets and by extension people, there is a tendency of applying binary logic to most debates. Everything is either 'good' or 'bad'. I do not subscribe to that notion and view world politics as a competition between nations and groups for affluence.
Domestic counterterrorism and war on terror are essentially equivalence of protection rackets in organized crime. The threats are manufactured by the US to create fear and instability in order to expand its military reach and control over the domestic population.

There aren't any other countries doing the same thing as the United States. They are mostly defending themselves or their allies. The terror groups the US refers to are mostly indigenous militias that arose in response to invasions by the US or US allies, such as Hezbollah and Al Shabaab. Only the US and its allies uses terror groups that can transport themselves across the globe (with the help of the US). to areas where they have no native presence so they can be used to blackmail governments into hosting US bases.

They have been censoring sources of information for years, especially in the last five years. It is much harder to come by. Certain investigative reporters have been banned. The authorities have gone after whistle blowers and leakers. The British government has previously threatened takeover of the news media. In support of wars, they've also set up fake news sites and fake news checking sites. Independent news sites are being blocked and shut down.

Last edited by lchoro; 08-30-2018 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe