Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 08:40 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times

Advertisements

During the seige of Leningrad the Finns appear to have not taken a large part in the battle. They took back the land on the Isthmus they lost in 1939 but went no further. Alexander Werth visited the city after the seige was lifted and noted that there was very little evidence of the Finns taking any hostile action against the city itself even though the northern parts were within artillery range. He was shown some holes in a few building that might have been from artillery but such claims were dubious in nature. While the Finns didn't make Leningraders lives worse, they certainly didn't make it any better either. I can find no evidence of any type of aid that can be attributed to the Finns for the people of the city. Some Leningraders did flee to Finland but they were small in number. Some children were taken by other countries too.

As for the allied bombing if you look up German armored vehicle production stats AFV production did not drop until the summer of 1944. That's when the allies were finally able to really put the pressure on. Prior to that allied bombing had a smaller effect and the Germans were able to adapt. The Ploesti raids in 1943 were not that effective in the long run for example because the Romanians quickly repaired what was damaged. The raids from Africa could not be sustained and were costly. The bombs used were too small and did a lot of repairable damage but nothing catastrophic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 09:02 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Lol, the VVS didn't get full air superiority before 1944, and that was only due to terrible German losses on all fronts. On the ground the Soviets gave the Germans a good beating, but in the air Luftwaffe assraped the Russians until Bagration. And not only the Germans; the Finns, Romanians and Hungarians did it
Not true. At Kursk the Russians not only were capable of contesting German air superiority they often gained it and kept it in places they needed too. In the norther part of the salient and the line north through Orel the VVS ruled the sky as they did in the Kuban and Crimea. The southern part of the bulge around Kharkov and Belgorod was more like running fight, both sides taking each other to mat in the end. The Germans scored a big victory when they saw a VVS bomber group comiing east of Kharkov. It was a slaughter. On the other hand Stukas and HS-129 ground support were not as effective as they could have been always getting bounced by Russian pilots in MIGs and Lavochkins.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:49 AM

403 posts, read 221,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
During the seige of Leningrad the Finns appear to have not taken a large part in the battle. They took back the land on the Isthmus they lost in 1939 but went no further. Alexander Werth visited the city after the seige was lifted and noted that there was very little evidence of the Finns taking any hostile action against the city itself even though the northern parts were within artillery range. He was shown some holes in a few building that might have been from artillery but such claims were dubious in nature. While the Finns didn't make Leningraders lives worse, they certainly didn't make it any better either. I can find no evidence of any type of aid that can be attributed to the Finns for the people of the city. Some Leningraders did flee to Finland but they were small in number. Some children were taken by other countries too.

As for the allied bombing if you look up German armored vehicle production stats AFV production did not drop until the summer of 1944. That's when the allies were finally able to really put the pressure on. Prior to that allied bombing had a smaller effect and the Germans were able to adapt. The Ploesti raids in 1943 were not that effective in the long run for example because the Romanians quickly repaired what was damaged. The raids from Africa could not be sustained and were costly. The bombs used were too small and did a lot of repairable damage but nothing catastrophic.
^^^That was my point.
I did not know anything about Continuation war - that is why I asked.

I found my answer here:
Amazingly clear photography

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_a2RhOcZ3U&t=918s

Last edited by Straight Arrow; 02-03-2018 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 10:37 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
What do Russians think of Donald Trump?
"The man of the people"))))

Old 02-03-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"The man of the people"))))
WHITE people

P.S. I am a Democrat

Old 02-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
WHITE people

P.S. I am a Democrat
Do you live in Russia?

Old 02-03-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Ok. At first taste it looks like... peanuts! But I need breakfast.
I cannot eat it without jam.
Warning: Do not give it to small children - it can block airway!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Do you live in Russia?
NO, here in NE USA

Old 02-03-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Do you live in Russia?
What I mean is that it was the expressed opinion by someone living IN RUSSIA)))

( That Trump is "da man of the people.")

Last edited by erasure; 02-03-2018 at 11:43 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
What I mean is that it was the expressed opinion by someone living IN RUSSIA)))
People are different in their opinions. Russian people are not an exception.
I did not vote for anybody last election - did not like either one of them. But American people voted for Trump, he deserves a chance. Let see what he can do.
Left Russia in 1982
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe