Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 12:34 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
If there is anything Finns and Russians have in common, it's the summer houses and the sauna (banya). The longing for a summer retreat where you can just relax and follow the nature. I think it's some kind of purification ritual, though we have indoor plumbing and Wlan at our summer house.
Some visitors from Russia made an interesting observation when visiting my house in Seattle. It was in a part of town where there are many cedar trees--remnants of the original forest. They said, "In America, the city is all dacha district." The private home and garden provide a little refuge, a little corner of nature, so dachas aren't so necessary. For apartment-dwellers, it makes perfect sense to have, at the very least, a kitchen-garden plot on the edge of town, like outside London, with a basic shack, to have some relief from the bustle and concrete of the city, and the confines of the apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
hmm... I wonder how that works in Russia, nowadays. Like in those collective dacha areas, is there any kind of plumbing? Running water in the kitchen at least? And in those new developments, with the fancy modern dachas?
Yes, of course. Well, pump, water's accumulation and cleaning system, water heater, underground septic tank. All amenities, if you are willing to pay for it. If not, then a well and toilet in the backyard.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 04-13-2017 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: on the street = in the backyard

Old 04-13-2017, 01:32 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
hmm... I wonder how that works in Russia, nowadays. Like in those collective dacha areas, is there any kind of plumbing? Running water in the kitchen at least? And in those new developments, with the fancy modern dachas?
What do you think? If the Russians got indoor plumbing in their permanent residence commieblocks in the 60's, how on Earth could the dachas have a sewer system?

Quote:
Also, in Finland, what kind of sewer system do the summer places have? Is it on a sewer line, or is it a septic system (an underground tank that gets emptied by special trucks once or twice/year)? And what about the homes out in the forests, where people live year 'round on private lakes? What kind of plumbing do those places have? It's not practical to extend a sewer line far into the countryside. Heck, even in the town where I live, the homes in one of the most expensive parts of town, on the north edge of town, are not hooked up to the city sewer line. They all have septic systems.

Dry closets, septic tanks or in the municipal sewer system. Permanently inhabited homes without waste management are deemed as 'uninhabitable', so if there's a house, they're in the municipal sewer. No, it's not practical to extend the sewer line, but it just had to be done. For decades before the 80's the waste was just dumped into our lakes and the Baltic Sea, and we are now paying a very high price for that.

Quote:
Some visitors from Russia made an interesting observation when visiting my house in Seattle. It was in a part of town where there are many cedar trees--remnants of the original forest. They said, "In America, the city is all dacha district." The private home and garden provide a little refuge, a little corner of nature, so dachas aren't so necessary. For apartment-dwellers, it makes perfect sense to have, at the very least, a kitchen-garden plot on the edge of town, like outside London, with a basic shack, to have some relief from the bustle and concrete of the city, and the confines of the apartment.

So and so. There's 510,000 summer cottages in Finland, meaning one per 10 persons. And as there's 510,000 cottages, there's 510,100 reasons for them. Some people want to grow tulips, the others wants to be in the middle of nowhere. Then someones just want to get rid of the whole place.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What do you think? If the Russians got indoor plumbing in their permanent residence commieblocks in the 60's, how on Earth could the dachas have a sewer system?
Wait, what?

Old 04-13-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Wait, what?
Ariete just does not know that the indoor plumbing (water pipe) in Moscow appeared 70 years earlier than in Helsinki. Poor knowledge of history is the norm for modern Europeans.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post

https://youtu.be/ZEIqOmAtDUg

Old 04-13-2017, 03:11 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Ariete just does not know that the indoor plumbing (water pipe) in Moscow appeared 70 years earlier than in Helsinki. Poor knowledge of history is the norm for modern Europeans.

No no, my friend, you just understand wrong on purpose.

I meant that people coming from very poor areas in the USSR, did get plumbing only when they could move into the cities.

Helsinki had plumbing, but it also dumped all the dead into the sea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholera_Basin

Old 04-13-2017, 05:34 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Most of the modern dachas (in the inhabitants of large cities) is frame houses (Finnish or Canadian technology), houses of timber or aerated concrete slabs. These are very modern houses.

Examples of popular dachas:
www.terem-pro.ru/catalog/kottedzhi/

http://terem-pro.ru.opt-images.1c-bi...6551ee1fb8.jpg

Someone chooses individual projects, for example, like this:
pro100dom.org/forum/58-825-1

https://pro100dom.org/_fr/8/3798126.jpg

Many choose similar houses and for permanent residence.

People with low incomes have dachas in large collective settlements:

https://im0-tub-ru.yandex.net/i?id=6...5e4be6f-l&n=13
Bleh.
I want my old dacha - the one I posted picture of. Behind the fence, with small orchard in front and the patch of pine forest in the back. All dachas in our settlement were like that.
One of my gfs had the same kind of dacha that I see on the last picture more or less.
I didn't like it that much)))

Old 04-13-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Bleh.
I want my old dacha - the one I posted picture of. Behind the fence, with small orchard in front and the patch of pine forest in the back. All dachas in our settlement were like that.
Now, that sounds like a real dacha! Where's the photo--I missed that. These days, it seems that everyone wants a dacha that looks like a smaller version of the Western houses they see on TV. This is "cool", this is "prestige". And we all know how important "prestige" is!

C'mon, erasure, get with the times! Get with the trends!

Old 04-13-2017, 06:02 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Now, that sounds like a real dacha! Where's the photo--I missed that.
It was in this post https://www.city-data.com/forum/47799697-post2518.html

(unfortunately the pic is not all that big, but I'll look up for more in that particular area))

Quote:
These days, it seems that everyone wants a dacha that looks like a smaller version of the Western houses they see on TV. This is "cool", this is "prestige". And we all know how important "prestige" is!

C'mon, erasure, get with the times! Get with the trends!
I am not a very trendy person))) I just know what I like - the hell with *trends*))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe