Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 11:42 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Oh, it's always someone else's fault. What if the peasant russkies would start blaming themselves? Russia is so crappy because their people are so crappy. Not because of the Clintons or Reagans or Bushes or anyone.
Don't forget the Jews. It all started with the Jewish-lead Revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 12:27 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
"Russia is crappy", "Russia is hopeless"...

You look at Russia with your standards. This is mistake. The political system in Russia is different from the Western model. You think that this is bad, but it is not. Just Russia is different from Western countries. The difference in territory, history, complexity of the national composition, etc.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:44 PM

41 posts, read 36,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Russia is so crappy because their people are so crappy.
I bet, one of the favourite themes of your school essays was "Mörkö as the metaphorical image of Russia"

Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
Thanks for your input Erasure.

Quote:
Russia is so crappy because their people are so crappy.
It's all so familiar. You should know.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:12 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
You can't really say Russia is that or the other because it is so big and different that it is many things at once. Same with the USA. There are many good and bad people in both places, but a big difference is how power is decentralized in the USA versus in Russia. As a result, political power and money are totally interconnected in Russia like a pyramid scheme. The people who benefit from this have a pretty solid system to keep it in place so barring any external shocks or revolutions, it will stay this way and nothing there will change.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
"Russia is crappy", "Russia is hopeless"...

You look at Russia with your standards. This is mistake. The political system in Russia is different from the Western model. You think that this is bad, but it is not. Just Russia is different from Western countries. The difference in territory, history, complexity of the national composition, etc.
I'm not buying this, Maksim. This sounds like a great excuse to justify strongmen taking over and throwing democracy out the window. And a good excuse for a large part of the populace to passively shrug, and say, "Oh well."

Why shouldn't Russia have a true democracy? As so many posters here and over the years have reminded everyone, Russia practically invented democracy. And I didn't say "Russia is hopeless". I ASKED if it was. Stating it vs. asking are two very different things. But I guess you answered my question in the affirmative, in your own way.

I would like to believe it's not hopeless. Hope is essential to life.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You can't really say Russia is that or the other because it is so big and different that it is many things at once. Same with the USA. There are many good and bad people in both places, but a big difference is how power is decentralized in the USA versus in Russia. As a result, political power and money are totally interconnected in Russia like a pyramid scheme. The people who benefit from this have a pretty solid system to keep it in place so barring any external shocks or revolutions, it will stay this way and nothing there will change.
The US went through a phase like that, when a few people controlled key resources and services, like the railroads. The government pushed through anti-trust legislation to break it all up. It was able to overcome the vested interests of the time. Now the problem has morphed into a different form, but still--just because some people are benefitting from greed and control of resources doesn't necessarily mean something can't be done about it.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:35 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not buying this, Maksim. This sounds like a great excuse to justify strongmen taking over and throwing democracy out the window. And a good excuse for a large part of the populace to passively shrug, and say, "Oh well."

Why shouldn't Russia have a true democracy? As so many posters here and over the years have reminded everyone, Russia practically invented democracy. And I didn't say "Russia is hopeless". I ASKED if it was. Stating it vs. asking are two very different things. But I guess you answered my question in the affirmative, in your own way.

It really should.
Why it can't have a democracy really becomes a question of why exactly different opinions in Russia can't be represented (and protected) on governmental level.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:37 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Why shouldn't Russia have a true democracy? They simply aren't ready for it. The people above 40 have no idea how that should really work and would be taken advantage of by others. Have you lived there for any time? No way are they ready for democracy. The attempt in the 90s was classic example of road to hell paved by good intentions. They might have a chance when the Communist educated boomers retire... maybe.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:39 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Thanks for your input Erasure.
You are welcome Scrat.
(As I've said, once you know who comes whence and why, you start following "trends and patterns")))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe