Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2020, 06:30 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
What is great in sending people to an orbital station? Humanity did this 60 years ago.
It was the first manned launch from American soil since the retirement of the Space Shuttle program. It’s also the first time that it’s been conducted by a private company and the dragon capsule did an autonomous dock at the ISS.

Quote:
I think SpaceX has a good future. They did a good job.
They did a good job on this missions, but their long term viability remains to be seen. Just a day before the launch, one of their rockets suffered an explosion. It wasn’t related to the event, but it still proves that there’s a lot of uncertainty here. Keep in mind, that this launch was technically just a demo (the full one is supposed to happen later this year).

Quote:
No. They do not have the resources for a space race. They are NASA contractors.
For now. One of SpaceX’s goals is to reduce the cost of sending rockets into space. They are looking at ways to make reusable parts as much as possible. If, and again that’s a big if, they succeed, they pave the way for private space enterprise. There are already several organizations like Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic who are already working on their own designs.
In the future, they may even end up competing with NASA and other state run space agencies.

Quote:
Roscosmos is a state organization. It will be viable as long as Russia will viable. At present, Russia does not have big plans for space (to my deepest regret), therefore Roscosmos supports several scientific projects and organizes military launches.
I made a mistake there, I meant to say vulnerable. What I meant by that, is that if SpaceX proves that it’s technology and launches are reliable over a long period of time, then Roscosmos will need to step up their game if they wish to stay relevant.

Quote:
NASA's budget is incomparably larger than budget of Roscosmos, even taking into account the low prime cost.
That’s true.

Quote:
Roscosmos did not have a advantage, just NASA made serious mistakes in planning manned launches (Shuttles too expensive, too long to develop a cheap ship).
It was an advantage, and to a certain extent still is, because it means that Russia was the only nation capable of sending astronauts to the space station. Not only did NASA have to pay to use them, but other countries were also sending their astronauts to Baikonur. I’m no seer, but I expect that to remain true for the foreseeable future since Soyuz has proven its reputation over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 07:48 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
And, by the way, space industry workers in Russia attitude to Rogozin like to a jester. He recently lost his twitter (because he was gushing too much there). In general, Roscosmos is going through hard times.

the way his luck is going, he might fall out of the window...

Old 06-10-2020, 09:49 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
that everything is cheaper in Russia and therefore their cost of living compensates for Russians' lower income than in Europe.
So you don't agree with this? I repeat to you for the hundredth time-you can't just compare income...You need to evaluate your income and expenses. Yes, in America and Europe, salaries are noticeably higher than in Russia, but prices for everything are much higher, so this high standard of living is a fiction. And to understand this much is not necessary, you just need to compare the income and expenses of the average American or European and the average Russian.. Here is a simple example: I watch a Russian blogger who has been living in the United States for a long time, so in one of his videos he talked about replacing his kitchen furniture..He was billed about $18,000... Moreover, the furniture is made of ordinary cheap chipboard. In Russia, similar furniture, and not from chipboard, but from solid wood, costs around 250-350 000 rubles (about 3600-5000$ at the current rate).Chipboard is twice as cheap. How much would this furniture is made of solid wood would cost in the US? Probably $40000? And so almost everywhere. That's all the answer.

Quote:
That SpaceX launches per seat are cheaper than Russian Soyuz are not just a problem for their business model
Yes, the launch of Crew Dragon is definitely a big step forward for SpaceX. But the funny thing is that the docking node on Crew Dragon is still Russian. Now it remains a small matter-to develop a space toilet. and then Rogozin will be completely shamed.

And let's not kid ourselves-cheap space launches by SpaceX are only thanks to government and NASA subsidies.

Last edited by Zimogor; 06-10-2020 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 10:41 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,537 times
This has never happened before, and here it is again. (с) Chernomyrdin.

Despite SpaceX Success NASA Will Pay Russia $90 Million To Take U.S. Astronaut To The ISS
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamieca.../#2ca11aeacb15

Old 06-10-2020, 11:23 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
This has never happened before, and here it is again. (с) Chernomyrdin.

Despite SpaceX Success NASA Will Pay Russia $90 Million To Take U.S. Astronaut To The ISS
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamieca.../#2ca11aeacb15
This is a normal risk minimization policy. btw, I think that Russia will also send cosmonauts to the Dragons in the near future. Astronauts/cosmonauts should have experience operating all the ships that are used in international cooperation.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
It was the first manned launch from American soil since the retirement of the Space Shuttle program. It’s also the first time that it’s been conducted by a private company and the dragon capsule did an autonomous dock at the ISS.
I agree that this was a great event for the States. But this is just an interesting event for the rest of the world.

Quote:
They did a good job on this missions, but their long term viability remains to be seen.
Falcons are reliable missiles, I think they will be successfully operated for many years.

Quote:
Just a day before the launch, one of their rockets suffered an explosion. It wasn’t related to the event, but it still proves that there’s a lot of uncertainty here. Keep in mind, that this launch was technically just a demo (the full one is supposed to happen later this year).
The accident was with an experimental ship of a completely different class.

Quote:
For now. One of SpaceX’s goals is to reduce the cost of sending rockets into space. They are looking at ways to make reusable parts as much as possible. If, and again that’s a big if, they succeed, they pave the way for private space enterprise. There are already several organizations like Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic who are already working on their own designs.
In the future, they may even end up competing with NASA and other state run space agencies.
Private companies can operate successfully in a narrow range of space tourism. But even states do not have the resources for real expansion into space. And it's not just about a ships.

Quote:
I made a mistake there, I meant to say vulnerable. What I meant by that, is that if SpaceX proves that it’s technology and launches are reliable over a long period of time, then Roscosmos will need to step up their game if they wish to stay relevant.
Roscosmos will always be relevant, because they produce government orders.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:41 PM

And I am very glad that Musk was able to launch people. He created a very good company.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:47 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Rogozin exhibits that classic Russian trait: Inferiority complex. But dig deeper and you'll see why. Russia's government has always been in a war of information to keep their people believing they are well served by their "authorities". This SpaceX situation also exposes a frequent lie of the Russian government, that everything is cheaper in Russia and therefore their cost of living compensates for Russians' lower income than in Europe. That SpaceX launches per seat are cheaper than Russian Soyuz are not just a problem for their business model, but part of a bigger problem of keeping their people content with a lower standard of living.

The end of the article is the latest example of many where they announce some technological breakthrough as though the suffering of the people is worth it because they are about to become superior in technology.

Like seriously DKM?

"Russian lies" are still all you can obsess over, and you are still calculating feverishly in your mind when will Russia implode, when it's going to be "finally destroyed?"

Did you look around, did you notice what's going on in US lately by any chance?

Old 06-10-2020, 11:53 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
So you don't agree with this? I repeat to you for the hundredth time-you can't just compare income...You need to evaluate your income and expenses. Yes, in America and Europe, salaries are noticeably higher than in Russia, but prices for everything are much higher, so this high standard of living is a fiction. And to understand this much is not necessary, you just need to compare the income and expenses of the average American or European and the average Russian.. Here is a simple example: I watch a Russian blogger who has been living in the United States for a long time, so in one of his videos he talked about replacing his kitchen furniture..He was billed about $18,000... Moreover, the furniture is made of ordinary cheap chipboard. In Russia, similar furniture, and not from chipboard, but from solid wood, costs around 250-350 000 rubles (about 3600-5000$ at the current rate).Chipboard is twice as cheap. How much would this furniture is made of solid wood would cost in the US? Probably $40000? And so almost everywhere. That's all the answer.
No, its not even close. The last time I was in Moscow, I recall this question with a friend of a friend for whom I was the first American they ever spoke to. "Did you notice how much cheaper things are here?" No! Gas is the same, and nearly everything else was more expensive than my city with the exception of public transit, utilities and some basic foods at the store like bread and beer. And not long ago a Russian friend visited here for the first time she surprised at how cheap everything is, as if they were expecting groceries for a week to cost us $500! I dug deeper and she told me that's what they are all told about life in the west that we actually are the same as people in Russia when you account for our prices. I'm sorry to say, that isn't true.

Labor intensive prices are going to be lower, so home remodeling is cheaper there but not by as much as you think. Things like haircuts are cheap in Russia, but a computer or TV is probably more expensive than we pay.

I have 2 newer cars I bought in the past 2 years for the wife and I. Total amount paid was $70,000 and I guarantee you the same would cost $100,000 in Russia. And for my ordinary Los Angeles professional salary, this is normal without a problem. Could the average professional muscovite say the same?

Old 06-11-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I have no idea what "changes" you are talking about.

I lived in the US long enough to see the root of the problems that's hidden in the very foundation of this country, so I have no idea how it can be resolved at this point in time.
As I've said - I wouldn't want the job of the US president, even if it's handed to me on a plate.

In Russia - no problem.
Please, please, please. Is it colonial and slave trade legacy (and then the United States will need its 70 years of a Soviet Union States of America to destroy old elites and create its own "Soviet America person" equal in everything) or something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe