Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 AM

255 posts, read 926,960 times

Advertisements

Throughout much research, time spent in Denmark and Austria, and talk spent talking to Danes and Austrians. I am ready to leave America, and immigrate to Denmark. I am currently saving up 10,000 USD before I make the journey to deposit in a bank in Denmark or Austria. What will I have to do? (I speak Danish and am learning German btw.)

I'm 17, graduating HS this year. I live in Delaware (my favorite US state) and have a US citizenship and am ready to give it up.

I understand you dont need a visa for a 90 day stay. But is that sufficient to find a job and apply for residence?

I really need help, feel free to ask questions. I'm ready to be a Dane or Austrian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 06:42 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
So, you are not sure, if you want to go to Denmark or Austria and you don't have a job in either country.

Word of advice: Find a job first. You will probably have a hard time getting one with just HS education and without perfect German/Danish skills.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:53 AM

How would one start that process? I do want to go to college to be a psychologists but I wasn't doing that till I was settled for a decade or so.

That's a bit of a confusing thing for me.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:04 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,160 times
What kind of valuable skills and knowledge would you be bringing along with you to the Danish / Austrian job markets? I assume it's something they don't already have an abundance of..?

Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 AM

For Austria: Austrian Immigration for Third Country Citizens | European Immigration and https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/h...te.120224.html and http://www.wien.gv.at/english/admini...ce.html#settle

Seriously, you have hardly a chance without a college diploma in a field of science that we need here (Engineers of any kind). It doesn't really matter, if it's from the US or Europe, though. Also, your level of German should be pretty high. I doubt that different rules apply to Denmark.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
For Austria: Austrian Immigration for Third Country Citizens | European Immigration and https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/h...te.120224.html and Residence Titles and Documentations - Right of Residence

Seriously, you have hardly a chance without a college diploma in a field of science that we need here (Engineers of any kind). It doesn't really matter, if it's from the US or Europe, though. Also, your level of German should be pretty high. I doubt that different rules apply to Denmark.
Alright. Thanks.

Suppose I should go for college beforehand.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 AM

You could also study in Denmark or Austria. There are special Visas for students.

https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/h...e.1480000.html
Student Visa

But again: "In addition, the applicant must have sufficient German knowledge. If necessary, an examination is to be taken."

Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,556 times
FfF, you need to think about this from the point of view of a European employer. If he has a vacancy for an entry level job which a teenager can do he will have no trouble finding one. He has no incentive to frig around trying to get someone a work permit - it's a waste of his time. You need a degree - and it better be something that is actually usefull.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
You could also study in Denmark or Austria. There are special Visas for students.

https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/h...e.1480000.html
Student Visa

But again: "In addition, the applicant must have sufficient German knowledge. If necessary, an examination is to be taken."
My German has time to improve to be sufficient, I hope. Rosetta Stone and Duolingo can only help me so much in such a brief period. (~1 years)

Thanks again.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:51 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,339 times
As someone mentioned: Why not apply for university in one of those countries? I haven't researched those countries specifically, but there are colleges in the EU where you can do your entire degree in English. In the meantime, while you wait for college to start, you could study German or Danish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe