Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:03 AM

10 posts, read 146,824 times

Advertisements

Hi I got an offer of an employment from Austria, Vienna city. I am more confusted now after accepting this offer.

I am more confused after come to know its taxation and cost of living and expenses to bear.

I have one 6yrs old son, myself and my wife all are planning to move to Austria, first I will come and they will join me in month of May end.

can anyone update me on following so that I can sure is my decision of moving need to be change?

1. monthly house rent, assuming sufficient for staying family (1 room apt)
2. kid schooling exp. assuming english school. (if there is any english medium public school?)
3. household expenses for a family and individual.
4. normal saving that anyone can easily make. (assuming 2000 eruo in hand per month)

also can you suggest good places to stay(2-5yrs) in Austria.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 AM

276 posts, read 763,402 times
Sorry I can't help, but shouldn't you have looked at all those things before accepting the offer?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,864,691 times
All relative ...

<<<1. monthly house rent, assuming sufficient for staying family (1 room apt)>>>
A 1 room apartment ?
You mean one bedroom, or what ?
Where are you *storing* your six year old ???

<<<2. kid schooling exp. assuming english school. (if there is any english medium public school?)>>>
Why would you insist on having your child go to an English School ?
I assume you speak English but then your post does not show you are English.
If you do speak English *at Home*, continue to do so, with your child.
Unless you would not be able to admit that
your child will speak the local language better than you would after a few months ...
Do you think it is fair to have your child play with other children,
but will not be able to fully understand them ?
Assuming again, that you will stay there for 5 years,
that is a long time to be a *Stranger with a funny accent* all the time.
Keep in mind that when you leave Austria after 5 years, your child will probably be ahead of his/her peers.
Not a bad investment IF you put your child at a high priority !!!

<<<3. household expenses for a family and individual.>>>
Expensive, compared to where ?
Where do you live now ?

<<<4. normal saving that anyone can easily make. (assuming 2000 eruo in hand per month)>>>
In essence, your Family can adapt.
IF the people who hired you to do a job,
that *apparently* the locals can not do, or are not willing to do,
then you should have been offered a sufficient income and
so you would thus have sufficient funds to live rather comfortably,
keeping in mind there are countless millions of other people
not having enough to eat or are living in shambles.

It does make me wonder/worry, why you really accepted that new job ???
Are they paying you for your relocation ?
Are they helping you find accommodations ?

Consider yourself lucky and go from there .

Last edited by irman; 11-14-2011 at 11:24 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 04:31 PM

75 posts, read 274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendratambat View Post

1. monthly house rent, assuming sufficient for staying family (1 room apt)
2. kid schooling exp. assuming english school. (if there is any english medium public school?)
3. household expenses for a family and individual.
4. normal saving that anyone can easily make. (assuming 2000 eruo in hand per month)

also can you suggest good places to stay(2-5yrs) in Austria.
I'm not a huge expert, but my ex-boyfriend lived in Vienna and I spent quite some time there, so maybe I can help you a bit.

1. One room apt? Do you mean one bedroom? Because beware, in Austria one room really meansa bathroom a kitchen and one room, not a living room. And wouldn't you need a room for your child? But anyways, assuming you want a one bed room apartment in a nice area of town I'd say heating, electricity, water and taxes included should be around 700-800€ a month if rents haven't gone up a lot in the last few years.
2. There are public schools which teach in German and English, they are free, but it's very competitive to get in. Google Vienna Bilingual Schooling (or schools, I forgot)
3. Not sure how I can answer that. But in general Austria is cheaper than the UK, US or France, but more expensive than Germany and most of central Europe.
4. 2000€ a month is okay for 3 people, it's not a lot, but you should definitely be able to make some savings, depends on you how much.

What do you mean with good places to stay? I thought your job was in Vienna? Or do you want to live somewhere else and find a new job? Vienna is very nice, I would recommend you to stay there, if you like smaller towns but don't want to be in the countryside Graz is very nice too.

Well, I hope I helped a bit. Good luck to you!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
All relative ...

<<<1. monthly house rent, assuming sufficient for staying family (1 room apt)>>>
A 1 room apartment ?
You mean one bedroom, or what ?
Where are you *storing* your six year old ???

<<<2. kid schooling exp. assuming english school. (if there is any english medium public school?)>>>
Why would you insist on having your child go to an English School ?
I assume you speak English but then your post does not show you are English.
If you do speak English *at Home*, continue to do so, with your child.
Unless you would not be able to admit that
your child will speak the local language better than you would after a few months ...
Do you think it is fair to have your child play with other children,
but will not be able to fully understand them ?
Assuming again, that you will stay there for 5 years,
that is a long time to be a *Stranger with a funny accent* all the time.
Keep in mind that when you leave Austria after 5 years, your child will probably be ahead of his/her peers.
Not a bad investment IF you put your child at a high priority !!!

<<<3. household expenses for a family and individual.>>>
Expensive, compared to where ?
Where do you live now ?

<<<4. normal saving that anyone can easily make. (assuming 2000 eruo in hand per month)>>>
In essence, your Family can adapt.
IF the people who hired you to do a job,
that *apparently* the locals can not do, or are not willing to do,
then you should have been offered a sufficient income and
so you would thus have sufficient funds to live rather comfortably,
keeping in mind there are countless millions of other people
not having enough to eat or are living in shambles.

It does make me wonder/worry, why you really accepted that new job ???
Are they paying you for your relocation ?
Are they helping you find accommodations ?

Consider yourself lucky and go from there .

appreciate your reply.

First of all My Mothertoung is not English.. I manage to speak English ok. about kid schooling you said right and I have concern about it. so he should be accepted in other schools in India when I return.

company is ready to pay relocation exp upto certain limit if I continue to work with them till 2yrs. and they are helping me finding raising deposit fund for accommodation.

I do not want to compare household exp. but just want to figure out how much it comes to.

based on these I want to decide should I bring my family sooner or later

Old 11-14-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corcorangirl View Post
I'm not a huge expert, but my ex-boyfriend lived in Vienna and I spent quite some time there, so maybe I can help you a bit.

1. One room apt? Do you mean one bedroom? Because beware, in Austria one room really meansa bathroom a kitchen and one room, not a living room. And wouldn't you need a room for your child? But anyways, assuming you want a one bed room apartment in a nice area of town I'd say heating, electricity, water and taxes included should be around 700-800€ a month if rents haven't gone up a lot in the last few years.
2. There are public schools which teach in German and English, they are free, but it's very competitive to get in. Google Vienna Bilingual Schooling (or schools, I forgot)
3. Not sure how I can answer that. But in general Austria is cheaper than the UK, US or France, but more expensive than Germany and most of central Europe.
4. 2000€ a month is okay for 3 people, it's not a lot, but you should definitely be able to make some savings, depends on you how much.

What do you mean with good places to stay? I thought your job was in Vienna? Or do you want to live somewhere else and find a new job? Vienna is very nice, I would recommend you to stay there, if you like smaller towns but don't want to be in the countryside Graz is very nice too.

Well, I hope I helped a bit. Good luck to you!
Thank you for Informative reply.

I come to know accommodation is very costly but comparing my salary I have to look for it, so seems 1BHK is OK.
Also when I searched on net, found Vienna is seems to be costly city. so I was just trying to figure out which are other places to stay and comparatively is cheaper and I can manage traveling as well.

Will you bit tell me more about country side as well, how are they and hows transportation/schooling availability there?
small towns as you suggested is also good for me. can you suggest such few other cities so that it will be helpful for me to search ahead.

not like a Germany, I do have parents to whom I have to support if I relocate here. so I was trying to know is my salary is sufficient to survive, support and save anything if possible. and then overall is it good decision or not.

I very much appreciate your information given.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:06 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,280,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendratambat View Post
not like a Germany, I do have parents to whom I have to support if I relocate here. so I was trying to know is my salary is sufficient to survive, support and save anything if possible. and then overall is it good decision or not.
I don't think you'll be able to save a whole lot of money (if the 2000 Euros you mentioned are what you're going to earn) if you have to support your family. If your wife works as well, you might be able to, but you'll probably need all 2000 Euros for living expenses. You can survive off that, sure. Many people earn less. But I personally would not move to Austria for a job that pays only 2000 Eur/month, especially not to Vienna which is a VERY expensive city.

Last edited by Rob702; 11-15-2011 at 12:15 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 08:05 AM

600 posts, read 1,934,237 times
I lived in Vienna for 11 years and lots that is said here is simply not true!

Austria pays less than Germany and some other countries in the EU but you get paid 13months and extra money for summer vacations and Christmas. So after all it is alright.
Food, restaurants and living costs are way affordable in Vienna nowhere as expensive as in other cities.
Appartment rent is usually higher in the good areas but really affordable in the not so good ones. Also less expensive than in other EU countries.
If you tell me where you want to live I can let you know if it's good or bad. I guess you don't want to end up in a 95% Muslim or Yugoslav dominated neighborhood.

How big of an appartment are you looking for?
Will you have a car or use public transport? An important issue as public transport is great but not always safe at night depending where you live.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,280,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
Food, restaurants and living costs are way affordable in Vienna nowhere as expensive as in other cities.
Maybe you've lived in a different Vienna (or a long time ago), but Vienna is definitely way up there when it comes to cost of living. Perhaps it is cheap compared to Paris or London, but it is the most expensive city in Austria by far, and it is definitely equally expensive, or even more, than Frankfurt or Munich in Germany which are the cities I am somewhat familar with. 2000 Euros a month for a family of 3 is NOT a whole lot, not even in other towns around Austria that have a more reasonable cost of living. Sure you can live in commie block social housing but I highly doubt the OP wants to consider that. Of course it is doable and many people live off that, but it is definitely not a convenient life.
Even if you just look at the plain numbers: 2000 a month is $2800. Is that a lot for a family of three in, say, Dallas, TX or Atlanta? I don't think so.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:03 PM

75 posts, read 274,944 times
I think you even get 14 months pay don't you? And the 13th and 14th (Christmas and holiday money) are tax free as far as I know. I also think Vienna is quite cheap, and not even the most expensive city in Austria. Salzburg or Innsbruck are more expensive and the mountain resort towns are much more expensive! Small towns in the east are cheaper but there aren't many jobs there. And when it comes to housing and things like eating out Vienna is a lot cheaper than Frankfurt or Munich! When buying groceries it's more expensive though.

TCAS007, you lived in Vienna for 11 years, and I only spent a few months there, but when I was there (and I'm a woman) and never felt even remotely unsafe when using public transport at night (my boyfriend lived near Reumannplatz, and not even taking the "nightline" there felt scary), it's much, much safer than any small town in the US, and most comparable sized cities in Europe. No idea how it compares to India though.

Rob702 you can't compare 2000€ in Austria (after taxes) to 2800 dollars in the US, because health insurance is covered already, no need to save for retirement or college, if you live in Vienna theres absolutely no need to have a car and public transport is cheap and I'd say generally life is a bit cheaper (although some things are a lot more expensive). 2000 Euros for a family is not a lot but a convenient life with some savings would definitely be possible.

rajemdratambat, if you work in Vienna live in Vienna. Living in (some) suburbs would be cheaper but you'd need a car which would cost you a lot of money. Vienna has some very cheap areas whre you can find a one room apartment (which I really wouldn't advise you to if you're 3 persons, but it's none of my business) for about 500 euros (of course that would be in a not so nice area in a not so nice apartment).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe