Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:37 PM

956 posts, read 1,769,523 times

Advertisements

Foreigners In Denmark: Social Network for Foreigners and Expats Living in Denmark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,589,153 times
Why would you ever want to live, especially to those two countries?

You will hate it after a while. Going there for a trip is not the same as living....

Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 PM

255 posts, read 928,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post

You will hate it after a while. Going there for a trip is not the same as living....
The reasons stated on pages 2 and 3, the quality of life is exceedingly higher than the USA as well.

Edit -- and having lived in Italy three years and enjoyed it more, I would think that I would have sufficient knowledge of both.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,764,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post

I know several that emigrated to Austria and married Austrian spouses... none would want to leave permanently.

I think of far worse places to live and the pace of life for many is great.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:56 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,282,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post

Right now, my plan is to finish high school, go to a local community college, save more money on the side, get my bachelors (Pursuing Psychology) degree, apply at a college in Denmark, apply for a visa & temporary residence for the duration of my stay, (which will be 6-8 years for my career field), at the end of my stay apply for a permanent residence.
Like I said in the other forum: If you want to work as a psychologist and are serious about your plans of moving to Europe then go for your degrees there. I doubt that you'll get a license with an American degree. A bachelors in psychology is especially worthless because no psychologist in Europe has a bachelors nor do they go to professional schools to receive a doctorate like they do in the States.

Also, you said you speak Danish. How well do you speak it? You should be very fluent in the language of your respective destination. That does not mean to only be able to order a Big Mac at McDonald's.

I think your best options are either: Going to university in Denmark/Austria and then trying to find a job. Or go to school in the US, then try to find a job at a big company and hope to be transferred to Europe.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,910,006 times
FfF, you said your parents were not born in the US therefore you must be a dual citizen of the US and some other country (or you could be). So, if it's not a big secret, which is it? - it can make a difference as to what immigration options are open to you.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
FfF, you said your parents were not born in the US therefore you must be a dual citizen of the US and some other country (or you could be). So, if it's not a big secret, which is it? - it can make a difference as to what immigration options are open to you.
Both Canada.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:50 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,910,006 times
Aha, so get yourself a Canadian passport (in addition to your US passport, not instead of). That would allow you to get a working holiday visa to the UK (if you are aged 18-30) and there is also the possibility of an ancestry visa. Neither of those options are available to US citizens.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Aha, so get yourself a Canadian passport (in addition to your US passport, not instead of). That would allow you to get a working holiday visa to the UK (if you are aged 18-30) and there is also the possibility of an ancestry visa. Neither of those options are available to US citizens.
Whoa. I wasn't aware Canada had more options. Thanks Bronto!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 AM

794 posts, read 1,411,134 times
You also have options for NZ and Australian visas through Canada, although the UK is closer to your end goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe