Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 PM

15 posts, read 27,977 times

Advertisements

Hi.everyone, im an amercian who has taken a very strong intrest in romania, have researched extensively, have had several pen pals from there, quite a few native romanian people in my facebook page. Ive discovered romamia is a very unknown country to the rest of the world, what are your thoughts, oponions of romania, would you visit, consider living there ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I spent 2 weeks there last summer and had a totally enjoyable time, while barely scratching the surface.

Getting ready for work, more later.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycmike View Post
Hi.everyone, im an amercian who has taken a very strong intrest in romania, have researched extensively, have had several pen pals from there, quite a few native romanian people in my facebook page. Ive discovered romamia is a very unknown country to the rest of the world, what are your thoughts, oponions of romania, would you visit, consider living there ????
One of the poorest countries in Europe that's why it does not draw much attention. As opposed to many of its neighbors crime is a huge issue in Romania as well.

Last edited by rebel12; 10-03-2012 at 11:46 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 11:14 PM

102,184 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycmike View Post
I've been to Romania several times, for 4-6 weeks each time. It's a beautiful country, the people are friendly and love Americans, the food is good, old traditions are still very much alive, the traditional music is enchanting. What's not to like? It's Europe's undiscovered gem. And yes, I was very seriously considering living there, had been offered a job, but politics got in the way, back in the day. Do you speak Romanian? I'd recommend learning some before you go.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
I did an internship there many moons ago (90s) and had the best time. The people were so open and friendly. Ruth - do you speak Romanian? It's definately the most difficult of the latin-based languages.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM

102,184 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I did an internship there many moons ago (90s) and had the best time. The people were so open and friendly. Ruth - do you speak Romanian? It's definately the most difficult of the latin-based languages.
But if you've studied Latin, you can do it. Latin, and at least one other Latin-based language. It really is kind of a modern-day Latin (with a light salting and peppering of Slavic and Turkish vocabulary). Somewhat simplified, but still, there's so much pure Latin in it, it's fascinating. Even just having German in your experience will help deal with Romanian grammar. We had a great language professor visiting from Romania when I was in university, and he was so much fun, the language was a joy to learn, and of course, his enthusiasm really made everyone want to visit the country.
Thanks for your input about your experience, yodel.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But if you've studied Latin, you can do it. Latin, and at least one other Latin-based language. It really is kind of a modern-day Latin (with a light salting and peppering of Slavic and Turkish vocabulary). Somewhat simplified, but still, there's so much pure Latin in it, it's fascinating. Even just having German in your experience will help deal with Romanian grammar. We had a great language professor visiting from Romania when I was in university, and he was so much fun, the language was a joy to learn, and of course, his enthusiasm really made everyone want to visit the country.
Thanks for your input about your experience, yodel.
Latin? Not really. If you speak Italian Romanian should be easy.
Arrivedere.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Latin? Not really. If you speak Italian Romanian should be easy.
Arrivedere.
Sorry, but after learning 4 Latin rooted languages, I have no desire to learn Romanian. It has no real practical value.

Just today, I talked to a Romanian cashier. She said it is very safe. I asked her if speaking Italian would help. She said to just speak English, since most people know some. She said their currency is the "lei" (sp). I'd like to go and check out the capital, Transylvania, and the Black Sea, but any trips overseas are usually directed at seeing relatives and a nearby country, such as Spain or Portugal, is the treat in terms of diversification.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
I think Italian is also the closest language to Romanian. I'm also pretty fluent in the 4 other living latin-based languages, but Romanian's grammar is much more complex - more like Latin I guess (which I've never studied). I was able to get by in Romanian when I was there, but I'm sure I messed up the word endings pretty frequently. (Cases, plurals harder than other languages).

Even so, when I was there, people didn't tend to think I was a foreigner - they assumed I was from the Hungarian minority! There were just that few non-Romanians there at the time. I am half Romanian, but I'm a redhead, so I don't think I really look Romanian.

It's very hard to keep up with Romanian - I pretty much never have the chance to speak it now. I keep telling myself I'm going to start listening to the radio in Romanian over the internet at least, but it's hard enough to keep up with the others and Romanian seems the least useful of all (I find Italian not so useful either but was in Italy for a longer period of time).

Robert, do you use your languages in your work? How do you keep up with them? Maybe you live abroad.

Last edited by yodel; 10-05-2012 at 09:28 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Robert, do you use your languages in your work? How do you keep up with them? Maybe you live abroad.
I'm not brilliant, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have a good memory for detail. Spoke Italian exclusively at home (also lived there). Have way too many Spanish-speaking friends (just kidding) and only took one year of it in college. Took three years of French in HS and go to Quebec during peak autumn colors every other year or so ... went last year at about this time. Taught myself Portuguese via the Barron's CD kit, a Christmas gift, and have been to Portugal 8 times. Mostly, I attribute it to memory. Zero interest in any other language ... maybe the dirty words! (Las palabras sucias me encantan).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe