Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperig View Post
Sticking to the topic: OP can visit Romania. It's a beautiful place.

And can someone take care of rebel12? For your records there are less than 3% gypsies in Romania. There might be more in your country.
I've seen the mountains. If I ever get a chance, I would like to climb Mt. Moldoveanu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM

17 posts, read 54,475 times
Yep. The touristic slogan is 'Explore the Carpathian garden'. The Moldoveanu Peak is the highest in Romania.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Yep. The touristic slogan is 'Explore the Carpathian garden'. The Moldoveanu Peak is the highest in Romania.
That's why I want to climb it.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is another panpipe musician by the name of Gheorghe Zamfir. He did some of the music for Karate Kid.

Gheorghe Zamfir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know about Zamfir, btw. I'm partial to D. Luca. They studied together, btw, under Luca's uncle, who revived pan-pipe music, Fanica Luca.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know about Zamfir, btw. I'm partial to D. Luca. They studied together, btw, under Luca's uncle, who revived pan-pipe music, Fanica Luca.
I always associated pan-pipe music with South America, specifically the Andes region. It is quite interesting to know that it exists in Romania as well, and that it has had some influence.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 AM

There is a show called Michael Palin's New Europe. He did an episode in Romania(and in Moldova). I think it was in 2007.

New Europe with Michael Palin 3 of 7 - YouTube

Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:

And can someone take care of rebel12? .
Don't worry, he's been taken care of.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I always associated pan-pipe music with South America, specifically the Andes region. It is quite interesting to know that it exists in Romania as well, and that it has had some influence.
Actually, it's an ancient instrument in Europe. It was known in Italy and Spain, as well. I don't know if it's still used there. I think it was traditionally part of the herding culture.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 PM

78 posts, read 125,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycmike View Post
Hi.everyone, im an amercian who has taken a very strong intrest in romania, have researched extensively, have had several pen pals from there, quite a few native romanian people in my facebook page. Ive discovered romamia is a very unknown country to the rest of the world, what are your thoughts, oponions of romania, would you visit, consider living there ????
I've lived there for 12 years.. not bad if you have savings, since the jobs pay really low. You get to breath fresh air, the people are very humble, food is great! ORGANIC.

Only money is the problem

Old 03-21-2014, 06:05 AM

8 posts, read 13,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtta View Post
IDK why you are asking this, I didn't make any such suggestion.

Of course I am not just looking at cost. What I am saying is that Romania is still expensive, but traditionally well down the list of destination cities. By no means would I just go by the list. But the way I see it, accommodation pricing is based on demand and that at some point stems from the quality of the experience available. To work with your NYC/Buffalo metaphor, my concern would be that Romania is in fact Buffalo, and travel there may cost 0.9x what NYC would cost while offering 0.7x the experience or something like this.

The real point of all this is that I could just go to a place like Ireland, where I wouldn't have any problem communicating, the flight would be a few hundred dollars cheaper and hours shorter, and there would be a long list of sights unseen for me to visit. I am perhaps more intrigued by Romania, as it seems to be "off the beaten path" and wouldn't be such a tourist setup. But if I go to Romania speaking English only, would I have robbed Peter to pay Paul, and find myself only able to eat at places with picture menus (traps!) and talk to people who speak the international language of tourism?

What we all probably like to avoid while traveling internationally is eating french fries and seeing other Americans taking the same pictures we are taking. This is the basic source of my language fears - it is great that people everywhere speak English, but not really appreciated if their primary use of English is to sell my own junk food back to me. I hope this is understandable.
Romanians are some of the best foreign language learners in the world - maybe Italians can compete with them. If you can make some decent conversation in French, German, Italian, Spanish, not to mention English, you will have no problem there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe