Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,720 times

Advertisements

I wasn't crazy about the food. I did learn how to make mayonnaise there. Romanians use lots of mayonnaise. A lot of people I knew also put catsup on their pizza. I actually lost a lot of weight while I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 05:57 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say that Romanian is easy to learn to speak correctly even if you know all the other Latin-based languages. In my opinion, it's the most different of all the other living romance languages. I think Romanians really appreciate people making the effort though. It doesn't seem at all common for foreigners to speak Romanian.
I've given learning Romanian a try(and then classes got in the way of that), and I want to give it try once more. I do agree that Romanian is not as easy to learn as Spanish or Portuguese. I know a moderate amount of French(enough to have conversations). I thought Romanian would be easy.

I want to learn it because I want to travel to Romania. I know a few things about Romania. For me, it isn't undiscovered, at least in literary terms. However, I've never been there. Reading about a place is not the same as going there.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
You are right, I skiped former Yugoslavia, nevertheless Italy is the closest Romance language country to Romania.
Everyone makes mistakes.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I wasn't crazy about the food. I did learn how to make mayonnaise there. Romanians use lots of mayonnaise. A lot of people I knew also put catsup on their pizza. I actually lost a lot of weight while I was there.
I have some familiarity with the food. I never saw any mayonnaise. Some of it was quite healthy.

I have a friend from Bucuresti. She told me that the food in Romania is closer to nature than in the USA. She told me that when she came to the USA, she noticed that the produced smelled different. She said that in Romania, food is more natural and organic.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 AM

One major association I have with București is Michael Jackson. 20 years ago this month(well, more like 6 days ago), he performed the Dangerous concert in București, and well, it was a great night. The link I posted is a blog entry I wrote detailing what I think this concert might have meant for Romania. The name of the entry: Michael Jackson, Bine ați venit la București

MY 90's.: Michael Jackson, Bine a

Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have some familiarity with the food. I never saw any mayonnaise. Some of it was quite healthy.
I've had one meal at a Romanian restaurant in the PNW. It was good and very hearty. I wouldn't call it memorable, though.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've had one meal at a Romanian restaurant in the PNW. It was good and very hearty. I wouldn't call it memorable, though.
I had a Romanian meal in at now-defunct restaurant in Lawrenceville, a suburb of Atlanta with a sizable Romanian population. I liked it alot. However, what was more memorable to me was that it seemed to be like a big meeting place. I think my group was the only group of non-Romanians in the restaurant that night. There was also the television with Romanian soap operas.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:46 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
I've given learning Romanian a try(and then classes got in the way of that), and I want to give it try once more. I do agree that Romanian is not as easy to learn as Spanish or Portuguese. I know a moderate amount of French(enough to have conversations). I thought Romanian would be easy.

I want to learn it because I want to travel to Romania. I know a few things about Romania. For me, it isn't undiscovered, at least in literary terms. However, I've never been there. Reading about a place is not the same as going there.
Learning Romanian won't be easy (unless you have a good teacher, or have studied Latin), but it will be WORTH IT! Besides, you're smart, you can handle it.

Never was served mayonnaise in Romania. But I can tell you this: if you see it tossed into soups, it's a substitute for sour cream, which is more expensive. That's a habit that comes from the Russians, for whom sour cream is practically a staple. Typical Romanian food would be soups, hearty stews, corn meal mush ("polenta" in Italy, "mamaliga" in Romania). Lamb in rural areas (lots of shepherds) for those who can afford meat.

Very true that the food is "closer to nature". Same is true in Russia.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
I had a Romanian meal in at now-defunct restaurant in Lawrenceville, a suburb of Atlanta with a sizable Romanian population. I liked it alot. However, what was more memorable to me was that it seemed to be like a big meeting place. I think my group was the only group of non-Romanians in the restaurant that night. There was also the television with Romanian soap operas.
I know Lawrenceville well, with a friend moving from there to some McMansion subdivision in Snellville. Atlanta is amazing me more and more. Brazilian enclave? Romanian enclave? Wow.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
I have very surprising connections with Romania...

Usually almost nobody can ever guess my parents are from Romania and that they lived there a long time (around 35 to 40 years) before they immigrated to USA.

When I asked plenty of people what they thought was my heritage at first, they thought it was Dutch/Netherlands, Danish/Denmark, French, Western Europe etc. They said my personality, character, and appearance just seems so much more Western European than Eastern European.

I have a lot of family members (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.) that live in Southeastern Romania in Constanta/Tuzla near the sea coastline over there. I do want to keep long term connections with family members over there, and I get along with most family members.

However, for Romania I feel very mixed about that country with plenty of good/positive and bad/negative opinions for Romania.

I visited Romania 3 different times, entirely because of family reasons. Mostly in Southeast Romanian coastline cities/towns such as Constanta, Tuzla, Eforie Sud, Costinesti, Vama Veche, but also Bucharest, Brasov, and Carpathian mountains.

I enjoyed my visits to Romania (I also traveled in 7 other countries), and Romania has a surprising variety of nice scenery. It felt like another world compared to what I am used to.

The nightlife in the Southeast Romania coastline cities/towns was one of the best surprises with exciting, high quality, and very underrated nightlife. A lot of it in nightclubs and some music concerts on a beach.

Mamaia was a very pedestrian friendly resort area that is a car free zone and has residents only in the summer, and I did not expect such revolutionary urban planning in Romania out of all places.

Bucharest still has some impressive architecture, but it felt a bit desolate/vacant for a major city, and a lot of the best architecture was demolished decades ago.

It still feels surprising to me with having the Romanian connections, and sometimes I just truly forget about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe