Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city feels the most European in Western Hemisphere?
Montreal 5 11.36%
Quebec City 19 43.18%
New Orleans 2 4.55%
Buenos Aires 11 25.00%
Montevideo 1 2.27%
Other 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,993,453 times

Advertisements

Well I am aware South Asians outnumber blacks in UK. Yet in the UK shortly Leicester be the first city in that country to have an non white majority.Leicester heads for diversity milestone | Society | Society Guardian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 05:28 PM

99 posts, read 254,885 times
Unfortunately I haven't been to any of those cities but I'm going to say Buenos Aires. I think Quebec is very North American, aside from the french quarters in Montreal and Quebec City, how are they really that European? They have suburbia, high rises, strip malls, and poutine is very much a typical North American creation. I don't think Quebec is really any more European than New England.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:48 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,860,537 times
That is interesting about Leicester, the midlands of England have a large non white population in places like Coventry, Wolverhampton, West Bromwich, Nottingham, Derby etc.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 PM

27,674 posts, read 28,766,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
I am talking about cities that when you visit that you would easily think that you are in Europe.

I didn't put Boston, Philly, or DC because they feel very American to me. While their density and infrastructure are more European than your average American city, they have a more distinct American feel to them. Their culture, the type of people that live there, the food, music, there just isn't a European feel to it. DC is very American, a city that really only formed and came to exist after the union was informed, not really effected by any countries in Europe when it was built, except when the GB burned it down. While it's physical density is that of a European city, you don't feel like you are in Europe.

One might ask, why New Orleans? New Orleans has such a mish mash of Spanish, French and English culture in it's past put together with it's very own distinct culture. The food is even a mish mash of French and Spanish food in origin.

There is no point in including San Juan Puerto Rico, because almost any Latin American country has colonial European parts to them. Quito, Lima, Havana, Mexico City, Oaxaca, Bogota, Cartegena, the list can go on and on. They have colonial parts to them that have a European flavor, but the cities overall really aren't European. Old San Juan looks European but outside of that there is nothing European about San Juan AT ALL. IN that regard I would say Boston feels more European than San Juan.

With Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Quebec City and to a certain extent Montreal, have almost their entire city as being colonial or heavily European influenced.
This is true. No city in the U.S. actually feels like a European city culturally. Certain aspects are there. But of course, it's a different continent after all. :-) Even Montreal I'd say is Francophone rather than European.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
Unfortunately I haven't been to any of those cities but I'm going to say Buenos Aires. I think Quebec is very North American, aside from the french quarters in Montreal and Quebec City, how are they really that European? They have suburbia, high rises, strip malls, and poutine is very much a typical North American creation. I don't think Quebec is really any more European than New England.
In layout, certainly Quebec is more North American, but in broad terms of mentality, Quebec is much more European than New England.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
I am talking about cities that when you visit that you would easily think that you are in Europe.

I didn't put Boston, Philly, or DC because they feel very American to me. While their density and infrastructure are more European than your average American city, they have a more distinct American feel to them. Their culture, the type of people that live there, the food, music, there just isn't a European feel to it. DC is very American, a city that really only formed and came to exist after the union was informed, not really effected by any countries in Europe when it was built, except when the GB burned it down. While it's physical density is that of a European city, you don't feel like you are in Europe.

One might ask, why New Orleans? New Orleans has such a mish mash of Spanish, French and English culture in it's past put together with it's very own distinct culture. The food is even a mish mash of French and Spanish food in origin.

There is no point in including San Juan Puerto Rico, because almost any Latin American country has colonial European parts to them. Quito, Lima, Havana, Mexico City, Oaxaca, Bogota, Cartegena, the list can go on and on. They have colonial parts to them that have a European flavor, but the cities overall really aren't European. Old San Juan looks European but outside of that there is nothing European about San Juan AT ALL. IN that regard I would say Boston feels more European than San Juan.

With Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Quebec City and to a certain extent Montreal, have almost their entire city as being colonial or heavily European influenced.
I agree Boston feels very American, with a hint of colonial 18th century British. DC is American through and through.

Quebec City looks the most Old World, but Buenos Aires is another candidate. St. John's, Newfoundland is a small city but resembles a town in Cornwall.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM

10,258 posts, read 15,968,913 times
New Orleans really isn't French, and the French Quarter feels more like a Caribbean-style town than like Paris, and you don't get gumbo and jambalaya in France.

In terms of apperance and lifestyle, Washington, D.C. is sort of European, even Europeans have told me this. It was designed by a French person after all.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
New Orleans really isn't French, and the French Quarter feels more like a Caribbean-style town than like Paris, and you don't get gumbo and jambalaya in France.

In terms of apperance and lifestyle, Washington, D.C. is sort of European, even Europeans have told me this. It was designed by a French person after all.
No New Orleans isn't like France at all. It's a lot more French-Caribbean, probably like Port-au-Prince, and a little bit like the Spanish Caribbean, a little like Havana or San Juan but still alot more French.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:24 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,860,537 times
Falkland Islands and Gayana?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:40 PM

27,674 posts, read 28,766,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Here's link with some samples of the kind of architecture in Washington, D.C.:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...OMTY0QHOsrHqBQ

Note: some of the above pics are not in Washington, D.C. But the buildings with neo-classical/Greek revival, Romanesque, Gothic and other European architecture are. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and other Founding Fathers specifically wanted parts of the city to resemble ancient Greece and Rome.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-09-2012 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe