Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city feels the most European in Western Hemisphere?
Montreal 5 11.36%
Quebec City 19 43.18%
New Orleans 2 4.55%
Buenos Aires 11 25.00%
Montevideo 1 2.27%
Other 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM

27,874 posts, read 29,007,074 times

Advertisements

I think you should have added some east coast U.S. cities, like Boston, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. Maybe even Charleston and Savannah. Also, San Juan, Puerto Rico and more Latin American cities as well. The comparison would have been nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 02:24 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,873,634 times
I guess Washington and Philadelphia won't feel European to Europeans for the simple fact that European cities don't have many black people, who however are omnipresent in those US cities.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:42 PM

27,874 posts, read 29,007,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess Washington and Philadelphia won't feel European to Europeans for the simple fact that European cities don't have many black people, who however are omnipresent in those US cities.
Washington has been going through a process called gentrification for the last 15 years or so - whereby wealthier people are moving back into the city. It's a popular destination for Europeans, from what I can tell. Just about every kind of European architecture can be seen in the city. (It's still very much American of course.) Anyway, I live here so I may be biased. :-)

Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Washington has been going through a process called gentrification for the last 15 years or so - whereby wealthier people are moving back into the city. It's a popular destination for Europeans, from what I can tell. Just about every kind of European architecture can be seen in the city. It's still very much American of course. But anyway, I live here so I may be biased. :-)
Still, I don't think Europeans go there because they consider it a "European place". After all, they flock to L.A., too

Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 PM

771 posts, read 1,404,501 times
I am talking about cities that when you visit that you would easily think that you are in Europe.

I didn't put Boston, Philly, or DC because they feel very American to me. While their density and infrastructure are more European than your average American city, they have a more distinct American feel to them. Their culture, the type of people that live there, the food, music, there just isn't a European feel to it. DC is very American, a city that really only formed and came to exist after the union was informed, not really effected by any countries in Europe when it was built, except when the GB burned it down. While it's physical density is that of a European city, you don't feel like you are in Europe.

One might ask, why New Orleans? New Orleans has such a mish mash of Spanish, French and English culture in it's past put together with it's very own distinct culture. The food is even a mish mash of French and Spanish food in origin.

There is no point in including San Juan Puerto Rico, because almost any Latin American country has colonial European parts to them. Quito, Lima, Havana, Mexico City, Oaxaca, Bogota, Cartegena, the list can go on and on. They have colonial parts to them that have a European flavor, but the cities overall really aren't European. Old San Juan looks European but outside of that there is nothing European about San Juan AT ALL. IN that regard I would say Boston feels more European than San Juan.

With Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Quebec City and to a certain extent Montreal, have almost their entire city as being colonial or heavily European influenced.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,891,353 times
Quote:
Paris, Marseille, London, Toulouse, Brussells, Amsterdam, Manchester, Rotterdam, Birmingham, Liverpool etc have plenty of black residents.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:09 PM

4,432 posts, read 7,016,754 times
Quote:
I disagree as cities such as London, Paris, Rotterdam have many many black people. An estimated 10% of the people in London are black. Paris does not have data regarding people regarding race. Anyway have you seen the French football side? Most of the players are black.

In addition countries that have large number of black people now are Spain, Portugal and Italy.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:23 PM

10,686 posts, read 16,139,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Paris, Marseille, London, Toulouse, Brussells, Amsterdam, Manchester, Rotterdam, Birmingham, Liverpool etc have plenty of black residents.
Yeah but in all those cities the % of black people will never be higher than 20%
compared to the US that's not high.

D.C. is 51% black, Philly 43%, Boston 30%.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I disagree as cities such as London, Paris, Rotterdam have many many black people. An estimated 10% of the people in London are black. Paris does not have data regarding people regarding race. Anyway have you seen the French football side? Most of the players are black.

In addition countries that have large number of black people now are Spain, Portugal and Italy.
Soccer teams are not a good indicator. Here in Portugal for instance there are countless black, especially Brazilian players on soccer teams, but that is just not reflected in the general population. It's just en vogue to have black players, just like it is en vogue for companies to employ East Asian researchers.
When I traveled through Britain I got the impression that there are far more South Asians than blacks.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,891,353 times
There are hardly any blacks (although more and more year by year) here in Dundee but we do have a large Asian community, 3rd most in Scotland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe