Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:36 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As someone mentioned it appears the concept of forgiveness seems to have flown the coop here.

I guess it's only acceptable for Laura to forgive hubby's substance abuse but democrats cannot earn forgiveness? And there've been rumors that Laura will file for divorce when GWB leaves office. Wouldn't THAT generate some more grist for this electronic rumor mill?
If a spouse forgives her husband for adultery it assumes the person is truly sorry and will stop the behavior. Serial adultery does not show remorse. . .
And as far as your rumor mill about our 1st Lady, that is just ridiculous. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
About the IQ thing; where did that stat come from?? I'm a pretty quick study, and I like Bill very much, although I'm not sure he'd be the right pick for Pres!

I am constantly amazed that people respond to a thread they think is beneath them, just to mock it. So high school, dude! Come on, if you think it's silly, let us idiots enjoy it and post elsewhere!
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

I am constantly amazed at how dumb most Americans are, but since you want to know........

BILL O'REILLY: PROPAGANDA PIMP
By News Corpse
In a roomful of egomaniacal bloviating pundits, Bill O'Reilly would stand out as a towering infernal display of delusional demagoguery. His crusading rants are illustrative of a society that is weakened by a disease (a social disease?) whose predominant symptoms are a mash of masochism and narcissism. Almost any random sampling of The O'Reilly Fester will reveal a man obsessed with his own righteousness. He views himself as the singular savior of America's meek, who he refers to simply as the "Folks." The semantic approach to his message is overwhelmed with the imagery of conflict and danger. Take, for instance, the titles of his books:

Culture Warrior
Who's Looking Out for You?
The No Spin Zone: Confrontations with the Powerful and Famous in America
The O'Reilly Factor for Kids: A Survival Guide for America's Families
Even children are not exempt from his apocalyptic world view. There is also his laughably inept attempt at fiction, Those Who Trespass, which betrays his hostile tendencies, if not his fantasies. From the book's description: "One by one, high-level executives and news correspondents are being brutally murdered in the cutthroat world of television journalism."

If it wasn't already glaringly obvious from watching his nightly bombast; if you hadn't already seen the acute paranoia in his red-faced shouting matches; if you need something more to conclude that O'Reilly is in a downward spiral of tyrannical propagandizing: well now you have it...

Researchers at Indiana University have just published the results of a study that provides academic validation that O'Reilly is a textbook propagandist. Amongst the key findings is that:

"...the Fox News personality consistently paints certain people and groups as villains and others as victims to present the world, as he sees it, through political rhetoric."

The study itemized seven propaganda devices as defined by the Institute for Propaganda Analysis:

Name calling - giving something a bad label to make the audience reject it without examining the evidence.
Glittering generalities - the opposite of name calling.
Card stacking - the selective use of facts and half-truths.
Bandwagon - appeals to the desire, common to most of us, to follow the crowd.
Plain folks - an attempt to convince an audience that they, and their ideas, are “of the people”.
Transfer - carries over the authority, sanction and prestige of something we respect or dispute to something the speaker would want us to accept.
Testimonials - involving a respected (or disrespected) person endorsing or rejecting an idea or person.
O’Reilly was found to have employed six of the seven nearly 13 times each minute. This is an important statistic because it is not merely the use of these devices that define their effect. It is the repetition and the absence of any substantive debate that produces the desired manipulation of free thought. This is why O'Reilly repeatedly interrupts and cuts off his guests - to keep them from diluting the rhetorical Kool-Aid. And contrary to his assertions that he doesn't "do personal attacks," IU has documented the reality that any cognitively functional bipedal hominoid has already figured out - O'Reilly is a bullying buffoon:
"O’Reilly called a person or a group a derogatory name once every 6.8 seconds, on average, or nearly nine times every minute during the editorials that open his program each night." [See the Stalking Points Memos]

Of course, O'Reilly didn't invent these tactics. They have been used before by governments, churches and corporations. The notorious American racist/anti-semite/nazi sympathizer, Father Charles Coughlin, served a bit of each of those masters. But O'Reilly has an unprecedented platform from which to spew his bile. And he is not merely a pundit expressing his opinions. He routinely calls on his disciples to act on his directives, whether they be boycotts, petitions, marches, or political activism and voting.

It will be interesting to see how O'Reilly reacts to the IU report. If he bothers to react at all, it is fairly easy to predict that he will aim both barrels at the vile haters and smear merchants that dominate the ultra-liberal academia with their looney far-left agendas.

Update: Well, I called that one right. O’Reilly has responded to the IU study with a Talking Points memo dripping in sarcasm. And while he continues to slam George Soros and Media Matters (who masterfully debunk his nonsense), he doesn’t make a single coherent argument to counter the conclusions of the research. He does, however, accuse the university of being in Soros’ pocket along with the rest of the left-wing cabal that he fears is aligned against him.

Brought to you by News Corpse, the Internet's Chronicle of Media Decay. All Content and Images © 2007 Crass Commerce.

I know, I know, Indiana U is probably a far left liberal institution, says you...

Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
A good read, and thanks but no thanks for adding yet another blog or news service I might have to follow.

The study clearly shows how so many misuse their voice and their platform!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

I am constantly amazed at how dumb most Americans are, but since you want to know........

BILL O'REILLY: PROPAGANDA PIMP
By News Corpse
In a roomful of egomaniacal bloviating pundits, Bill O'Reilly would stand out as a towering infernal display of delusional demagoguery. His crusading rants are illustrative of a society that is weakened by a disease (a social disease?) whose predominant symptoms are a mash of masochism and narcissism. Almost any random sampling of The O'Reilly Fester will reveal a man obsessed with his own righteousness. He views himself as the singular savior of America's meek, who he refers to simply as the "Folks." The semantic approach to his message is overwhelmed with the imagery of conflict and danger. Take, for instance, the titles of his books:

Culture Warrior
Who's Looking Out for You?
The No Spin Zone: Confrontations with the Powerful and Famous in America
The O'Reilly Factor for Kids: A Survival Guide for America's Families
Even children are not exempt from his apocalyptic world view. There is also his laughably inept attempt at fiction, Those Who Trespass, which betrays his hostile tendencies, if not his fantasies. From the book's description: "One by one, high-level executives and news correspondents are being brutally murdered in the cutthroat world of television journalism."

If it wasn't already glaringly obvious from watching his nightly bombast; if you hadn't already seen the acute paranoia in his red-faced shouting matches; if you need something more to conclude that O'Reilly is in a downward spiral of tyrannical propagandizing: well now you have it...

Researchers at Indiana University have just published the results of a study that provides academic validation that O'Reilly is a textbook propagandist. Amongst the key findings is that:

"...the Fox News personality consistently paints certain people and groups as villains and others as victims to present the world, as he sees it, through political rhetoric."

The study itemized seven propaganda devices as defined by the Institute for Propaganda Analysis:

Name calling - giving something a bad label to make the audience reject it without examining the evidence.
Glittering generalities - the opposite of name calling.
Card stacking - the selective use of facts and half-truths.
Bandwagon - appeals to the desire, common to most of us, to follow the crowd.
Plain folks - an attempt to convince an audience that they, and their ideas, are “of the people”.
Transfer - carries over the authority, sanction and prestige of something we respect or dispute to something the speaker would want us to accept.
Testimonials - involving a respected (or disrespected) person endorsing or rejecting an idea or person.
O’Reilly was found to have employed six of the seven nearly 13 times each minute. This is an important statistic because it is not merely the use of these devices that define their effect. It is the repetition and the absence of any substantive debate that produces the desired manipulation of free thought. This is why O'Reilly repeatedly interrupts and cuts off his guests - to keep them from diluting the rhetorical Kool-Aid. And contrary to his assertions that he doesn't "do personal attacks," IU has documented the reality that any cognitively functional bipedal hominoid has already figured out - O'Reilly is a bullying buffoon:
"O’Reilly called a person or a group a derogatory name once every 6.8 seconds, on average, or nearly nine times every minute during the editorials that open his program each night." [See the Stalking Points Memos]

Of course, O'Reilly didn't invent these tactics. They have been used before by governments, churches and corporations. The notorious American racist/anti-semite/nazi sympathizer, Father Charles Coughlin, served a bit of each of those masters. But O'Reilly has an unprecedented platform from which to spew his bile. And he is not merely a pundit expressing his opinions. He routinely calls on his disciples to act on his directives, whether they be boycotts, petitions, marches, or political activism and voting.

It will be interesting to see how O'Reilly reacts to the IU report. If he bothers to react at all, it is fairly easy to predict that he will aim both barrels at the vile haters and smear merchants that dominate the ultra-liberal academia with their looney far-left agendas.

Update: Well, I called that one right. O’Reilly has responded to the IU study with a Talking Points memo dripping in sarcasm. And while he continues to slam George Soros and Media Matters (who masterfully debunk his nonsense), he doesn’t make a single coherent argument to counter the conclusions of the research. He does, however, accuse the university of being in Soros’ pocket along with the rest of the left-wing cabal that he fears is aligned against him.

Brought to you by News Corpse, the Internet's Chronicle of Media Decay. All Content and Images © 2007 Crass Commerce.

I know, I know, Indiana U is probably a far left liberal institution, says you...

Old 05-29-2007, 04:08 PM

Btw, if an IQ is below 100, one is considered challenged. The normative range is around 110; genius is debatable, but perhaps higher than 135-150.

Most people are in or above the norm; and well below the genius level.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:12 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
By the way, the two parties in the sexual harassment litigation settled for a publicly undisclosed amount (purported to be $millions).
Ah, that's what happened. And he has the audacity to belittle and speak negatively of the San Francisco values and how the secular progressives are ruining this country. I wonder why ppl don't throw this in his face.

Yep, O'Reilly for Prez! LOL!!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:14 PM

203 posts, read 163,005 times
Why is it that Liberals are so hateful? Are they brought up that way or do they go to school for it? I cannot imagine waking up every morning hating everyone I see and everything around me. It must be a bummer.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:15 PM

Perhaps there was a good Bill O'Reilly before fame went to his head. Here's a piece I accidentally came upon (2004) where Mr. O'Reilly is sane, reasoned and clear.

Bill O'Reilly

Old 05-29-2007, 04:33 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
Why is it that Liberals are so hateful? Are they brought up that way or do they go to school for it? I cannot imagine waking up every morning hating everyone I see and everything around me. It must be a bummer.
You know you could save yourself a lot of trouble by going to that House of Commons approach. When the Prime Minister shows up for weekly Questions, you can count on someone's rising and calling out '#1, Mr. Speaker'. Well, #1 is a little code for could the Prime Minister please tell the House what his upcoming schedule is. So, you could do the same thing. Whenever you wanted to put up this particular post (which is quite a lot, really), you could just post #2, or #4, or whatever the predefined code was. Would save you a lot of repetitive typing and it would save the rest of us a lot of repetitive reading...

Old 05-29-2007, 04:35 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
If a spouse forgives her husband for adultery it assumes the person is truly sorry and will stop the behavior. Serial adultery does not show remorse. . .
And as far as your rumor mill about our 1st Lady, that is just ridiculous. Please.

So are you telling us that you have this incredible power of reading minds and know what's in people's thoughts? Since you seem to know all about serial adultery how about serial bouts with a bottle of Jim Beam? Only one drunk allowed or how many until you judge it to be not true remorse? You do realize that sexual addiction is recognized by many as no different functionally than alcoholism? Or are you trying to project your own values on everyone?

I was quite serious, the rumor was printed in a syndicated column in a local paper.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:38 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I agree, Jackie Kennedy was a calculating woman! And that is one thing both these former 1st Ladies had in common! Hilary stayed with Bill because she knew it would help her in her bid for the office she coveted from the start!
Doesn't it stand to reason that since most of our presidents are shallow, overly ambitious, and power hungry, that they attract women who are made of the same stuff? Just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections