Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:19 PM

82 posts, read 199,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

CEO pay should be limited to a number equal to 20 average workers annual wages. In addition, we should pass legislation modeled after the environmental models of the 70's so that on-going problems caused by old problems is remidied.

In short, anyone who is a major shareholder in a bank or multinat should have their assets nationalized and put into the general fund of the US Treasury.This is an equitable solution.
Are you joking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,007,807 times
No,

What I'm saying is that the "regulations" in the various free trade agreements/GATT and the "regulations" of the 1890's-1929 era that were self imposed by the Robber Barons were not regulations at all, but rather self-promoting deals designed by of and for the winners.

Without a conterbalance, governmental regulation that protects society as a whole from the greed and excess of the rich, the system will inexorably fall apart- just like we saw in 1929, and again in 2008.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardocobos View Post
Are you joking?

No.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:33 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,881,898 times
Quote:
No,

What I'm saying is that the "regulations" in the various free trade agreements/GATT and the "regulations" of the 1890's-1929 era that were self imposed by the Robber Barons were not regulations at all, but rather self-promoting deals designed by of and for the winners.

Without a conterbalance, governmental regulation that protects society as a whole from the greed and excess of the rich, the system will inexorably fall apart- just like we saw in 1929, and again in 2008.
Sorry... regulations ARE regulations... no matter how you want to spin.. self-promoting ideals do NOT need to be written as laws, if they were.. they would be regulations... and regulations are the antithesis of the free market... so to blame these "regulations" then you have to admit it wasn't a free market at all... and these "regulations" are the problems of it all... and the problem isn't deregulation, but overregulation of these specific "regulations"... but that isn't what the media or liberals would have you believe...

Old 02-15-2009, 01:42 PM

You miss the point:

Myself and the vast majority of Historians and others do not blame what you are saying are regulations (self-promoting side deals by the Robber Barons themselves) for the failures that have caused 2 depressions, rather they blame the free market itself.

Laissez Faire does not work.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:46 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,150,561 times
[quote=Geechie North;7477112]You miss the point:

Myself and the vast majority of Historians and others do not blame what you are saying are regulations (self-promoting side deals by the Robber Barons themselves) for the failures that have caused 2 depressions, rather they blame the free market itself.

Laissez Faire does not work.[/quote]

And the arguement that it does has come around dozens of times since Jefferson. Maybe earlier. The two sides have never agreed and never will. I believe that history proves that it does not work.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:50 PM

Laissez faire will only return, as it did post-73, when business can buy the government.

And you are correct in that the rich, and a few misguided supporters, will never agree with the facts, simply because ithey do not favor their side.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
You miss the point:

Laissez Faire does not work.
And you still haven't showed us ANY laissez faire system... i.e. a system without regulations... all you have shown is a GOVERNMENT-regulated system... where is the non-government regulated system? Where? All you have shown is failures in government-regulated systems... that's all...

Old 02-15-2009, 02:34 PM

I suggest you read US History from 1880-1929.

Other than that, I don't think I can say much more.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 PM

I see a non-answer... can't find an answer, so avoid the question altogether...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections