Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:15 AM

38,778 posts, read 26,586,666 times

Advertisements

From the posts I've read so far, it would appear that once again I am the only conservative voice on the forum. I'm really not sure where to begin with this one. I guess I'm the last one to find out about the events at the McCain rally today. It is a shame that the political air has become so toxic as of late. I would say more so than at any time in my previous experience. I see all of us in a few years looking back at the good ol' days when someone would seek the White House for the all the right reasons. Most important of these reasons is a sincere desire to lead America without self-serving ambition being the sole motive. We talk about service and having causes greater than ourselves as being paramount, but as people rise through the ranks of public office, they seem to change into soulless political robots who are able to act the part and speak the lines, but in a crass and uncaring sort of way. They'll swear that's not the case, but then they change positions on policies so fundamental to their stated values that you must conclude that their whole public image is all just a self-serving act. I blame the parties for this, but I also blame us, the voters. Their are just certain things voters will simply not accept from any candidate. So if they are in genuine it is only because we have voted out of office everyone who dared challenge our sense of entitlement leaving only the double-talking slime rag liars who vent politician's horse sh*t with every breath. They will tell us anything we want to hear as long as they are being elected. I also think by then the entire federal government will be made up entirely of professional politicians who, to a man, or woman, have never learned any of the fundamental lessons of American life first hand. They'll make the same speeches and give the same assurances. But the value of these promises will be worth less than investment bank stock because they will be backed only with hypocrisy and ingenuousness. Like our out of control GSEs, government has become too much of its own entity and accountable to no one, only telling us the rosy forecasts while concealing the looming debt of condescension and disconnection. Honestly, at this point, I would favor term limits of just one term without exceptions. It's the only way to get the money out of the game, and until the money is gone, their will be no accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 01:26 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,079,703 times
I think one six-year term would be the way to go.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:27 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,839,869 times
So because who you want to win is going to lose (this is a concession thread after you saw the pathetic hate mongering personified in videos isn't it?) you favor a single term? And how would this do anything to increase the effectiveness of a sitting president given the 6 yr senatorial term and 4 yr house terms? Maybe we should make it so the two parties alternate control every week?

So you are against the constitution when it works against you?

Old 10-11-2008, 02:04 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,725,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
From the posts I've read so far, it would appear that once again I am the only conservative voice on the forum. I'm really not sure where to begin with this one. I guess I'm the last one to find out about the events at the McCain rally today. It is a shame that the political air has become so toxic as of late. I would say more so than at any time in my previous experience. I see all of us in a few years looking back at the good ol' days when someone would seek the White House for the all the right reasons. Most important of these reasons is a sincere desire to lead America without self-serving ambition being the sole motive. We talk about service and having causes greater than ourselves as being paramount, but as people rise through the ranks of public office, they seem to change into soulless political robots who are able to act the part and speak the lines, but in a crass and uncaring sort of way. They'll swear that's not the case, but then they change positions on policies so fundamental to their stated values that you must conclude that their whole public image is all just a self-serving act. I blame the parties for this, but I also blame us, the voters. Their are just certain things voters will simply not accept from any candidate. So if they are in genuine it is only because we have voted out of office everyone who dared challenge our sense of entitlement leaving only the double-talking slime rag liars who vent politician's horse sh*t with every breath. They will tell us anything we want to hear as long as they are being elected. I also think by then the entire federal government will be made up entirely of professional politicians who, to a man, or woman, have never learned any of the fundamental lessons of American life first hand. They'll make the same speeches and give the same assurances. But the value of these promises will be worth less than investment bank stock because they will be backed only with hypocrisy and ingenuousness. Like our out of control GSEs, government has become too much of its own entity and accountable to no one, only telling us the rosy forecasts while concealing the looming debt of condescension and disconnection. Honestly, at this point, I would favor term limits of just one term without exceptions. It's the only way to get the money out of the game, and until the money is gone, their will be no accountability.
I'm loud. I'm proud. And I am conservative!

Conservatives are a rare kind on the World Wide Web, but we are here nonetheless. You are NOT alone.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
So because who you want to win is going to lose (this is a concession thread after you saw the pathetic hate mongering personified in videos isn't it?) you favor a single term? And how would this do anything to increase the effectiveness of a sitting president given the 6 yr senatorial term and 4 yr house terms? Maybe we should make it so the two parties alternate control every week?

So you are against the constitution when it works against you?
I'm against the money in our political system. You may have very good reasons for not wanting a McCain presidency. I would disagree but at least your informed and you know why you feel the why you do. More power to ya! Most voters don't. You can't sit and b*tch about GWB when gets a second term because the people who voted for him have little knowledge of why they did and cheer when Obama is leading in the polls with the same ignorant people. They believe what they see on TV, and money buys TV. This corruption is destroying the nation and the people aren't sharp enough to know what's going on.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I'm loud. I'm proud. And I am conservative!

Conservatives are a rare kind on the World Wide Web, but we are here nonetheless. You are NOT alone.
I appreciate the support!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:11 AM

What?

Old 10-11-2008, 04:52 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,473,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Maybe.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:00 AM
NCN

21,669 posts, read 25,767,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Teatime, I usually agree with you but 6 years is too long for a really bad president. I didn't vote for either Bush more than one time. I voted for Bush, Sr., but when he didn't do a thing about abortion, I didn't vote for him again. I never voted for his son, because I saw a need for him to go to war. My son was in the Navy, so he did not get my vote. My fellow workers laughed at me just like you were laughed at for having wisdom on another thread. There are people laughing at you that will one day wish they had never heard the name Obama. At least we have the choice of getting rid of Obama in four years. Six years with him as president would be 6 not 4 years too many.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Teatime, I usually agree with you but 6 years is too long for a really bad president. I didn't vote for either Bush more than one time. I voted for Bush, Sr., but when he didn't do a thing about abortion, I didn't vote for him again. I never voted for his son, because I saw a need for him to go to war. My son was in the Navy, so he did not get my vote. My fellow workers laughed at me just like you were laughed at for having wisdom on another thread. There are people laughing at you that will one day wish they had never heard the name Obama. At least we have the choice of getting rid of Obama in four years. Six years with him as president would be 6 not 4 years too many.
Why would 4 years of Obama be 4 years too many? Any specifics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections