Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:35 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,343 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with Obama's proposal to lift the limit on Social Security taxes....

The current income limit would stay in effect - and up to 250K no additional taxes would be levied.

However, all wages above 250K/yr would be taxed at the normal tax rate.

I think that would put Social Security on a stable footing for everyone forever...

I support it 100%.. I like this doughnut approach... I like doughnuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
will those people making over $250k able to draw a massive amount of social security? you should get out what you put in.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
will those people making over $250k able to draw a massive amount of social security? you should get out what you put in.

Why??? Do you get back all the other taxes you paid in your life??

The system needs to be made far more progressive - and it's purpose and goals should change to reflect current conditions and priorities.

Those who are clearly rich and don't need the retirement support should not expect much out of the system.

They should just think of it as another general tax - only this one is for a noble purpose - it's not going to support more needless wars like Iraq - the money is staying at home...

Old 11-20-2008, 04:48 PM

so you believe that the federal should set standards on what they perceive to be rich? gotcha. you do know that $250k per year isn't rich if you live in NYC right? I love your regressive ideas. you realize we went to war over abusive taxation right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Why??? Do you get back all the other taxes you paid in your life??

The system needs to be made far more progressive - and it's purpose and goals should change to reflect current conditions and priorities.

Those who are clearly rich and don't need the retirement support should not expect much out of the system.

They should just think of it as another general tax - only this one is for a noble purpose - it's not going to support more needless wars like Iraq - the money is staying at home...

Old 11-20-2008, 04:50 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
This is like demanding from your insurance company that you get back what you put in. SS is an insurance program, and the money that goes in is not yours. It goes to current retirees. When you retire, other workers will pay you. It's not a savings account for you.

The whole point is that you hope that you're lucky enough not to need what you put in.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
The whole point is that this idea is flawed and if put into effect (sadly) should be at a much higher salary level.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
so you believe that the federal should set standards on what they perceive to be rich? gotcha. you do know that $250k per year isn't rich if you live in NYC right? I love your regressive ideas. you realize we went to war over abusive taxation right?
Over 250K per year in the NYC area is doing very well - I live in the NYC area...

Of course the 250K should be indexed at the rate of inflation -after all -I'm not a communist

Old 11-20-2008, 05:00 PM

so now the federal government dictates needs? mccain draws social security. he has ever right to. it's cool, I know how to hide money. I will draw regardless. after all, it's easy to hide money and make it so it doesn't earn income. after all, as far as aunt sam is concerned, you are only as rich as your income from that year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
This is like demanding from your insurance company that you get back what you put in. SS is an insurance program, and the money that goes in is not yours. It goes to current retirees. When you retire, other workers will pay you. It's not a savings account for you.

The whole point is that you hope that you're lucky enough not to need what you put in.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:01 PM

trust me, I can tell where you are from. $250k might be doing ok for someone single who wants to be a lifetime renter. what about if you have 5 kids you want to send to private school and a sick wife who can't work. you need a large house. suddenly that $250k has you living in poverty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Over 250K per year in the NYC area is doing very well - I live in the NYC area...

Of course the 250K should be indexed at the rate of inflation -after all -I'm not a communist

Old 11-20-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
trust me, I can tell where you are from. $250k might be doing ok for someone single who wants to be a lifetime renter. what about if you have 5 kids you want to send to private school and a sick wife who can't work. you need a large house. suddenly that $250k has you living in poverty.
Like most things - you don't have a clue where I am from...

I'm not far from NYC - I work in Westchester - and it is still feasible to buy even there with an income of 250K... you won't get a big, new house, but if living that close to the city in an affluent town is important to you, you can get a 2200 sf house on an income of 250k... Of course 5 kids can get a bit expensive. I have 3 myself... If you chose to move a little north or into northern Fairfield county Ct, you could easily get a nice home and live very comfortably on 250k...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections